2019-20 Roster Thread XIII: The Roster Molding Molds On

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Try to make excuses for Vorobyev all you want, the reality is he sucked.
He simply had a low motor, didn't play with intensity and lacks speed.
He may turn out to be like Weal, more suited to a weak team where he'll get a chance to be an offensive center, but not good enough to get that opportunity here (he's not playing 3C ahead of Patrick or Frost).

And get prepared for AV to do the same things Hakstol did to young players, because it's what practically every HC does - you point out mistakes a few times, the kid keeps making the same mistakes, so you bench/demote him to get the message across (equivalent to hitting the mule with a 2x4). AV may communicate better, but you're still going to see certain young players get "mistreated" in the eyes of fans.

Now some players less so, Lindblom, Patrick, Provorov are high IQ players, so are Farabee and Frost.
Others, not so much. Sanheim has been a "slow learner" at every level, but once he adjusts, he's fine.

TK doesn't have a problem with effort, his motor is revved up (sometimes a bit out of control), but there are times when he plays brain dead. Since he's only 22, some of that may simply have been immaturity, I mean 19-21 year olds are never stubborn, hard to reach, etc. Hopefully, he's ready to grow up and play a 200 foot game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't get where the 5 mins a game is coming from. In his 15 games Misha had one game under 5 minutes and one other under 7. The rest he got 7 minutes which isn't far off from a normal NHL 4th line role.

That's in reference to NAK, who was basically an emergency body.
Vorobyev got a fair shot, he was given the starting 4C job and lost it quickly on merit.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
That's in reference to NAK, who was basically an emergency body.
Vorobyev got a fair shot, he was given the starting 4C job and lost it quickly on merit.

It's was in reference to both.

And I get the same thing about Misha. He got a shot was a liability. I think the 5 shift with less than 3 minutes game he got abused by either Connor or Leon and that was it for him that game.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Try to make excuses for Vorobyev all you want, the reality is he sucked.
He simply had a low motor, didn't play with intensity and lacks speed.
He may turn out to be like Weal, more suited to a weak team where he'll get a chance to be an offensive center, but not good enough to get that opportunity here (he's not playing 3C ahead of Patrick or Frost).

And get prepared for AV to do the same things Hakstol did to young players, because it's what practically every HC does - you point out mistakes a few times, the kid keeps making the same mistakes, so you bench/demote him to get the message across (equivalent to hitting the mule with a 2x4). AV may communicate better, but you're still going to see certain young players get "mistreated" in the eyes of fans.

Now some players less so, Lindblom, Patrick, Provorov are high IQ players, so are Farabee and Frost.
Others, not so much. Sanheim has been a "slow learner" at every level, but once he adjusts, he's fine.

TK doesn't have a problem with effort, his motor is revved up (sometimes a bit out of control), but there are times when he plays brain dead. Since he's only 22, some of that may simply have been immaturity, I mean 19-21 year olds are never stubborn, hard to reach, etc. Hopefully, he's ready to grow up and play a 200 foot game.
Vorobyev strikes me as a player better suited to Europe. He could have a solid career there, like Tomas Divisek. I doubt he’ll ever have the type of competitiveness in his game that he’ll need to be a regular NHLer.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't get where the 5 mins a game is coming from. In his 15 games Misha had one game under 5 minutes and one other under 7. The rest he got 7 minutes which isn't far off from a normal NHL 4th line role.

Weise and Raffl averaged 10 and a half minutes per game at ES.

If you're only getting 7/8 minutes a night like Varone and Knight were, that's a great sign you should be in the AHL or Europe. Which is exactly where they will be in 19-20. Giving a waiver-exempt prospect those kind of minutes is idiotic.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Remember that time NAK dressed in a game and went a whole period without a shift? And it wasn't even the 3rd period. :laugh:
One of my favorite memories of this past season was the time when Weise was put into the lineup and for one game he wasn't actively blowing goats on the 4th line...Hakstol immediately gave up him 20 minutes a night after that

Reactions: FLYguy3911

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weise actually had a solid stretch, he had one of the highest xGF% on the team last year, as did Weal.
Which is why you should take all advanced metrics with a grain of salt.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Weise and Raffl averaged 10 and a half minutes per game at ES.

If you're only getting 7/8 minutes a night like Varone and Knight were, that's a great sign you should be in the AHL or Europe. Which is exactly where they will be in 19-20. Giving a waiver-exempt prospect those kind of minutes is idiotic.

Unless the Flyers saw his role as 4C which then he'd be only seeing a slight bump if any at all from approximately 7 that was the normal for him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It bothers me a bit that in junior, Myers was 6 & Sanheim 32 (which adds to five). But then with the Phantoms & Flyers, Sanheim was given 6 & Myers got 5.

Yes I know Sanheim was on the Phantoms a year earlier & that 3x2=6.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Unless the Flyers saw his role as 4C which then he'd be only seeing a slight bump if any at all from approximately 7 that was the normal for him.

I don't know where you're getting this 7 minutes number from. When Laughton was the 4C in 15-16 and 17-18 he got at least 10 minutes per game. When they didn't have confidence in him to play that much in 16-17, he was sent back down to the AHL because they knew playing a waiver exempt prospect 7 minutes a night made no sense.

15-16: 71 games at 10:26 (aged 21)
16-17: AHL (aged 22)
17-18: 81 games at 11:07 (aged 23)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't know where you're getting this 7 minutes number from. When Laughton was the 4C in 15-16 and 17-18 he got at least 10 minutes per game. When they didn't have confidence in him to play that much in 16-17, he was sent back down to the AHL because they knew playing a waiver exempt prospect 7 minutes a night made no sense.

15-16: 71 games at 10:26 (aged 21)
16-17: AHL (aged 22)
17-18: 81 games at 11:07 (aged 23)
Reminder...in 15/16 he played on the 2nd line for awhile between Schenn and Simmonds......all while Couts watched from the 3rd line waiting his turn.

Reactions: Curufinwe

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It bothers me a bit that in junior, Myers was 6 & Sanheim 32 (which adds to five). But then with the Phantoms & Flyers, Sanheim was given 6 & Myers got 5.

Yes I know Sanheim was on the Phantoms a year earlier & that 3x2=6.
I'm just glad he didn't pick 71.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Hagg is the whipping boy, he'll move on from Philly, end up with a HC who knows how to use him, and probably have a 10 year career as a 3rd pair D-man with a puck moving partner, and a D-coach who teaches him better positioning.

You're wrong. He's going to get Vande Veldeed. He's going to get Manninged. He's going to be out of the league. He's simply not an NHL defenseman.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're wrong. He's going to get Vande Veldeed. He's going to get Manninged. He's going to be out of the league. He's simply not an NHL defenseman.

If L Schenn got signed after his last three seasons, Hagg will have suitors lined up.
Manning played 4 NHL seasons and I predict will get picked up at some point this season.
Vandevelde was a 4th rd pick and played 3 seasons after 4 years of NHL cameos.

Hagg will play somewhere this season, I don't think the Flyers will keep 8 D-men, so Morin or Hagg will be traded in TC.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This narrative about Vorobyev is so dumb. After 5 games, at least 2 of which were very good games, he basically got shit on by Haktard and never got a real shot to do anything after that.

I don't even like Vorobyev that much but judging him based on how the biggest moron to ever sit on the bench for the Flyers treated him is ridiculous.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe if you watched Vorobyev you'd realize that it was his play that got him benched and demoted.
After his first two games he was outright bad out there.
And he didn't exactly set the AHL on fire when he returned.
42g 3-14 17 at ES in LHV, for an offensive center, that's meh.

Vorobyev has a chance to play in the NHL, and he is still inexperienced, 56g at 17, 50g at 18, 56g at 19, 67g at 20, 57g at 21.
But he needs to step up his game.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This narrative about Vorobyev is so dumb. After 5 games, at least 2 of which were very good games, he basically got **** on by Haktard and never got a real shot to do anything after that.

I don't even like Vorobyev that much but judging him based on how the biggest moron to ever sit on the bench for the Flyers treated him is ridiculous.

That’s basically where I’m at too.

I’m not high on him at all and I don’t expect him to ever stick on this team, but that has absolutely zero to do with how he played in the NHL last year because he never got a fair chance.

Nobody could be successful with that joke usage.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Voro had his moments last season but overall he was bad. With a new coaching staff that has a ton of experience we will see what he can bring. He seems like a smart player out there so hopefully he can put it all together and make him a solid career in the bottom six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad