DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
1qYDcJP.gif

Reactions: Beef Invictus

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
It's incredibly difficult to be visible in 5 mins of game time, you understand this, yes?
Difference between Kony and OL type of player. One can provide value no matter the role or linemates other one not so much. Voro is devoid of skill and relies on his smarts to set him apart. After all we were all ready to pencil him as 3C in preseason, yet it all went to shit and now his chances are probably as injury fill in at best hoping to have some OL in him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Judging by this response, you don’t understand how difficult it is to make an impact playing 5 mins a game. Either that or your being obtuse, perhaps willingly.
I’ve seen tons of call ups over the years stand out with dogged effort. It’s noticeable. He had 72 chances to show it & failed. Some never even get that chance. He’s getting tons of excuses made for him because he was a 2nd rd pick.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Difference between Kony and OL type of player. One can provide value no matter the role or linemates other one not so much. Voro is devoid of skill and relies on his smarts to set him apart. After all we were all ready to pencil him as 3C in preseason, yet it all went to **** and now his chances are probably as injury fill in at best hoping to have some OL in him.

I’m kind of in the middle I think on Voro, or wasn’t he called the pimp for a while?

His leash was super short in the sense that at the first sign of struggle his playing time was all but gone. We saw Hakstol handle kids far too often this way.

On the other hand, outside of pre-season in the time he did play I saw next to nothing. It’s hard to show much in such little playing time but there was zero intensity in his game.

I’m not a huge fan, he just seems to be an incredibly vanilla warm body - but maybe he proves me wrong. There are spots up for grabs this year, hopefully he brings his best

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I just wish they didn’t mold him into this Neanderthal “hit first” type of player.

Might he be trash forever, sure. His limitations are well known and observed but it’s just frustrating to me to see them make the kid into something he wasn’t really supposed to be imo.

He knows it too. I think I’m accurate in saying that before last season he was caught saying he needs to improve his transition game and being able to contribute up ice.

The issue to me, is there is no room for him barring injury (just like Morin). Myers needs to play full time.
I'm more of type development and seasoning and whatnot being over rated kinda guy.
Looking at the flyers Ghost has been about the same player since his first year, Provy too and even Kony's first training camp he already looked to be the player he is now. Has all that time in minors and what not made Laughton any different than he was when we drafted him?
Not many players come to mind that made a huge strides since their rookie season and such. Seth Jones maybe?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If you want to make the NHL you better find a way. That’s reality for a fringe NHL/AHLer. He still had 72 shifts as a Flyer. I sure can’t recall him doing anything on even one.

There was no way for him to stay on the roster. Hakstol had decided to be set against him using reasoning mysterious to all; he quit on the player. We have seen this before. You were familiar enough with that phenomenon that once upon a time you and I were legitimately very concerned about TK being given an honest chance; and based on his handling and the way he was jerked around and nonsensically buried at times we were right.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I'm more of type development and seasoning and whatnot being over rated kinda guy.
Looking at the flyers Ghost has been about the same player since his first year, Provy too and even Kony's first training camp he already looked to be the player he is now. Has all that time in minors and what not made Laughton any different than he was when we drafted him?
Not many players come to mind that made a huge strides since their rookie season and such. Seth Jones maybe?

Laughton is an interesting case. I’ve seen him brought up from time to time as a guy that got better with development. That’s true to a point imo.

Even in juniors I believe he was always pegged as coming in as what he basically is today. An energetic bottom 6 forward who is responsible in his own end.

The biggest difference in the Laughton of last season and years past is his consistent intensity imo. He figured out or committed to playing with that kind of energy every night instead of just flashing it here and there.

I like Laughton.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
There was no way for him to stay on the roster. Hakstol had decided to be set against him using reasoning mysterious to all; he quit on the player. We have seen this before. You were familiar enough with that phenomenon that once upon a time you and I were legitimately very concerned about TK being given an honest chance.
TK should thank his lucky stars to be part of the leagues top5 line these past two years.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
There was no way for him to stay on the roster. Hakstol had decided to be set against him using reasoning mysterious to all; he quit on the player. We have seen this before. You were familiar enough with that phenomenon that once upon a time you and I were legitimately very concerned about TK being given an honest chance; and based on his handling and the way he was jerked around and nonsensically buried at times we were right.

TK is one of my favourite players on the team outside of Giroux but I can’t help but to be a little worried for next season.

He does at times have a habit of getting caught, and it’s that kind of stuff that drives old hockey men crazy. I don’t mind him cheating a bit as I think he’s got the foot speed to recover but a lunatic like Therrien is likely to target Konecny.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
TK is one of my favourite players on the team outside of Giroux but I can’t help but to be a little worried for next season.

He does at times have a habit of getting caught, and it’s that kind of stuff that drives old hockey men crazy. I don’t mind him cheating a bit as I think he’s got the foot speed to recover but a lunatic like Therrien is likely to target Konecny.

Of course, we also now know that Hakstol was unlikely to have been communicating effective feedback on that to TK. And Gordon was probably like "shit yeah look at that"

Good coaching involves letting players do the things they're best at an not making them do the things they're worst at. TK is completely wasted on the 4th line; it was atrocious coaching to put him there, but it's the kind of mindset our young players were facing: someone who had no notion of putting them in the best position for success.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Of course, we also now know that Hakstol was unlikely to have been communicating effective feedback on that to TK. And Gordon was probably like "**** yeah look at that"

Good coaching involves letting players do the things they're best at an not making them do the things they're worst at. TK is completely wasted on the 4th line; it was atrocious coaching, but it's the kind of mindset our young players were facing: someone who had no notion of putting them in the best position for success.

It’s just fearful coaching. We saw it time and time again with the shell, and handling of kids who may make a mistake.

The man was more than willing to play some moron who was likely to not do anything productive, instead of a kid who might actually do something to help you win. All in the name of not making a mistake.

Thankfully, I think AV has some balls.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Laughton is an interesting case. I’ve seen him brought up from time to time as a guy that got better with development. That’s true to a point imo.

Even in juniors I believe he was always pegged as coming in as what he basically is today. An energetic bottom 6 forward who is responsible in his own end.

The biggest difference in the Laughton of last season and years past is his consistent intensity imo. He figured out or committed to playing with that kind of energy every night instead of just flashing it here and there.

I like Laughton.
Still no matter what you do in terms of development if you have Virtanen, Crouse, Zacha, Laughton there's only so much upside. Hagg, Morin and Ginning are pretty much the equivalent on defense. Of course you have players that no matter how dumb the sheer skill still breaks through, but for every evander Kane you have 10 yakupovs.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I remember that line being truly great to watch heading into our last taste of the playoffs.

In his genius, Hakstol split them up, and it went exactly as you’d think.
And said with a straight face Raffl will bring some heaviness to top line while tk will spark filppula, Simmonds duo lol.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Judging by this response, you don’t understand how difficult it is to make an impact playing 5 mins a game. Either that or your being obtuse, perhaps willingly.

Vorobyev played 10 minutes a night, which is typical 4th line time.
A lot of players make solid impressions on the 4th line, usually because they play with high intensity and motor every time they hit the ice.

NAK didn't get a lot of PT, but every shift is an audition, and he didn't stand out.
Nor did he step up his game when he was sent back to LHV (remember, he had an awful PO series the previous spring).
Bailey got the late season call up over him, and proceeded to show a lot of energy and no skill. Which is why he's gone.

When you're a marginal prospect, you're only going to get a couple shots at the NHL, ask Knight or Varone.
When you get that shot, you'd better do something to stand out, if you don't have great skills, then you need to be a whirling dervish with hockey IQ, that is, always around the puck, making things happen, without making stupid mistakes.

Lindblom is a good example, even when he was pressing and blowing scoring opportunities left and right, he was forcing turnovers, winning board battles, going to the net, in position defensively, doing the things that get you repeated opportunities.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Vorobyev played 10 minutes a night, which is typical 4th line time.
A lot of players make solid impressions on the 4th line, usually because they play with high intensity and motor every time they hit the ice.

NAK didn't get a lot of PT, but every shift is an audition, and he didn't stand out.
Nor did he step up his game when he was sent back to LHV (remember, he had an awful PO series the previous spring).
Bailey got the late season call up over him, and proceeded to show a lot of energy and no skill. Which is why he's gone.

When you're a marginal prospect, you're only going to get a couple shots at the NHL, ask Knight or Varone.
When you get that shot, you'd better do something to stand out, if you don't have great skills, then you need to be a whirling dervish with hockey IQ, that is, always around the puck, making things happen, without making stupid mistakes.

Lindblom is a good example, even when he was pressing and blowing scoring opportunities left and right, he was forcing turnovers, winning board battles, going to the net, in position defensively, doing the things that get you repeated opportunities.

LOL

upload_2019-7-31_13-41-7.png

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

I don't get where the 5 mins a game is coming from. In his 15 games Misha had one game under 5 minutes and one other under 7. The rest he got 7 minutes which isn't far off from a normal NHL 4th line role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad