2019-20 Roster Speculation Pt. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
I am still excited as there is still bundles of talent that can surprise and develop. With even minor steps from the core and decent goaltending we can have a great season.

I just do not think the choices of Okposo and Sobotka making this roster is us icing our best possible roster - so I cannot fathom why we are. We are anchoring ourselves from the get go with likely playing Sobotka 17 minutes. So for over a quarter of the game against the Penguins we will be riddled with a player who for the last 150 games is near the top for being the worst forward in the NHL.

For a team that has under delivered the last two years, there should be less leeway, forgiveness, and patience with the bottom of the roster by our top brass. If players did not hustle, produce scoring chances, and enter/exit zones decently they should be removed no later then the end of season - yet here we are blank slating garbage expecting it to have washed itself.

Reactions: cramdizzl

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Botterill has had 3 full off-seasons and our middle 6 still only has 2 quality players. Just... how???

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Vlad on the 2nd line might be the stupidest thing Ive seen in the NHL in several seasons and a lot of dumb shit happens in this league. I just hope somehow the rest of the team can compensate for this lunacy although Okposo on the roster doesn't make me optimistic the would.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I’m not worried about the line up. Sobotka hasn’t looked bad in pre-season. It’s also his contract year, so he’s probably motivated.

Best case: we see shades of his past self, he becomes a useful bottom six forward.

Worst case: he still sucks and after a few games Krueger puts Rodrigues in his place.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Botterill has had 3 full off-seasons and our middle 6 still only has 2 quality players. Just... how???
It's sad...

But I will say I am excited for hockey. I just hope I make it past February in regards to watching this team.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I think the only way you would be happy is if Reinhart was on every line... It’s just not possible. Even the leafs bottom 6 is going to struggle, difference is they have Andersen and we don’t.

Reactions: wnysupport

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Excited for the season.Love the core.Was really high on the coach till the Sobotka and Okposo crap so to me he lost credibility.However I Hope its a Botts thing and after a few games the two anchors are removed.Excited about the Defence.Once Montour and Pilot come back we will have great depth and it will be interesting to see what happens.Will Botts do nothing or go get a forward.If Joker and Gilmour play well how does he handle it with players coming back? To me though Ulmark is the key can he play 55 games and be a difference maker? Be interesting year and am excited for the season

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I see lots are setting themselves up for disappointment with the 'ole Sobotka looked good in preseason.

?

What disappointment? We all expect he’s going to fail. There are, however, legitimate reasons to think he might rebound: new coach, new role, contract year.

If he fails, no ones going to be disappointed. Just waiting for him to drop to 13th forward.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I see lots are setting themselves up for disappointment with the 'ole Sobotka looked good in preseason.
What exactly do you think those of us that are willing to see a few games under Krueger expect? A scoring winger? No. I'm speaking for the group, obviously since you are putting us all in one bucket, but what I'm looking for is exactly what everyone has mentioned. Defensive responsibility, hard work, speed, and special teams (PK). Should he be on the 'second line'? Maybe not in a traditional sense, but it does not look like Krueger is putting his lines together like that. Frankly, it's a bit antiquated to look at anything 1-4 in that way.

If Sobotka gets second line minutes and the Sabres are successful - I don't really care if he was bad for two seasons. I'm looking for team wins and exciting hockey, and it looks like we may get that. How that's done and with who doesn't really matter to me. If they aren't successful and Sobotka is sticking out as an issue - I have more faith this season there will be a much quicker hook as the depth in Roch is more experienced and closer to a recall.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Lost in all this Sobotka to the 2nd line talk is that the 3rd line is absolute garbage also.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
CJ Smith and Asplund would be a start. Much rather have them than Sobotka and Okoposo
Or Erod, or Lazar, or Sprong, even Thompson. There's no one on that line who can drive a line. Unless Mittlestadt makes a huge jump I guess.

Reactions: sabremike

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Or Erod, or Lazar, or Sprong, even Thompson. There's no one on that line who can drive a line. Unless Mittlestadt makes a huge jump I guess.

Vesey-Mitts-Sheary is a decent secondary scoring line as long as Mitts has a nice jump over where he was last year.

The biggest issue with the forwards remains the fact that Botterill hasn't gone out and filled the crater he created at 2C last off season for the second off season in a row.

If he had added a legit 2C last off season or this off season, then Krueger doesn't need Sobotka on the 2nd line taking faceoffs for a converted winger at 2C and MoJo gets to be the middle six winger that he is suited to be.

It has now moved beyond just the ROR trade itself and how bad that was. It is now about the roster that Botterill has constructed for this season in the aftermath of removing a way above average 2C.

I like what Botterill has done on defense for the most part. At least at RD.

Botterill did try and add to the wing depth with MoJo and Vesey and he had VO developing properly last year.

The issue is that two of the biggest issues last season (2C & goal) weren't addressed leading into this season.

Reactions: GameMisconduct

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Vesey-Mitts-Sheary is a decent secondary scoring line as long as Mitts has a nice jump over where he was last year.

You can firmly add me to the camp of belief that Vesey and Sheary are net negative players who are passengers at best. Mittlestadt was even worse last season. Hopefully Mittlestadt can make a jump. He has the potential

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
A good 2nd line player in today's game is 40-45 points. Sobotka's career best in points is 33 5 years ago and he's terrible defensively. So even if he somehow reverts to his career best he's well below where a 2nd line player should be. It's great that some of you are optimistic human beings but there becomes a point when blind optimism makes you look stupid and Buffalo sports fans have this quality in spades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad