2019-20 Roster Speculation Pt. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
CJ Smith and Asplund would be a start. Much rather have them than Sobotka and Okoposo

CJ didn't even make the first cut, so he's probably not even in the 30 player conversation with regard to NHL roster. I'm not 100% on this, but his shot at an NHL career is probably over in Buffalo. I think Asplund is best served continuing to play on a first line in Roch instead of spot-duty in the NHL. That said, neither blew me out of the water in camp, though Asplund dominated against early pre-season competition (i.e. lesser talent), then probably didn't get the best look as a top 6 player.

Or Erod, or Lazar, or Sprong, even Thompson. There's no one on that line who can drive a line. Unless Mittlestadt makes a huge jump I guess.

Lazar/Thompson for Okposo is a case I can see made. They REALLY tried to make Thompson work on that fourth line. I'm guessing they want him to go blow up the AHL and force them to make a roster move on a guy like Okposo. Either that, or they are betting injuries will have him back up soon.

Erod looked like absolute crap in camp. Maybe he's struggling with the weight of thinking he's a better player than he really is, or else he needs more time to get going. In any event, he's on the roster and I'm sure we'll see him in the lineup very soon.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
The question remains if Mittelstadt will ever reach his potential playing now his second straight season in a role he's proven himself to be unsuited for and on top of that, having two wingers who won't make it any easier on him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The question remains if Mittelstadt will ever reach his potential playing now his second straight season in a role he's proven himself to be unsuited for and on top of that, having two wingers who won't make it any easier on him.

If Mitts isn't suited to the secondary scoring role, what is he suited for?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
CJ didn't even make the first cut, so he's probably not even in the 30 player conversation with regard to NHL roster. I'm not 100% on this, but his shot at an NHL career is probably over in Buffalo. I think Asplund is best served continuing to play on a first line in Roch instead of spot-duty in the NHL. That said, neither blew me out of the water in camp, though Asplund dominated against early pre-season competition (i.e. lesser talent), then probably didn't get the best look as a top 6 player.

Lazar/Thompson for Okposo is a case I can see made. They REALLY tried to make Thompson work on that fourth line. I'm guessing they want him to go blow up the AHL and force them to make a roster move on a guy like Okposo. Either that, or they are betting injuries will have him back up soon.

Erod looked like absolute crap in camp. Maybe he's struggling with the weight of thinking he's a better player than he really is, or else he needs more time to get going. In any event, he's on the roster and I'm sure we'll see him in the lineup very soon.
Asplund was great against Pitts starters. I wanted him in the top-9. CJ has shown he dominates the AHL, and also showed well last year during his call-ups. I didn't see much of him in preseason since he was sent down so early, but I think he can carve out a career in a bottom-6 role with potential to be a solid control contributor. No way is he worse than Okoposo, Sobotoka, or Mitts.

Asplund and CJ Smith bring something this team sorely lacks, and that's tenacity. It's still unclear whether they'll be able to contribute on the score sheet, but when I'm trying to finesse lines together one thing that's truly puzzling is our top-9 lacks guys that will play a solid two-way game, go to the dirty areas, and just be a pain to play against. We're extremely soft, and I dont mean we need fighters. We players that can play tough.

Last edited:

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012

I agree Erod looked bad in preseason. But he also looked bad last preseason. He also looked good last regular season, you know, when it matters. He was benched for seemingly no reason last season. I'm starting to believe Botterill has an issue with Erod. Especially with the way his contract was handled over the summer

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree Erod looked bad in preseason. But he also looked bad last preseason. He also looked good last regular season, you know, when it matters. He was benched for seemingly no reason last season. I'm starting to believe Botterill has an issue with Erod. Especially with the way his contract was handled over the summer

I doubt this is about that.

Krueger is a new coach. He doesn't care that ERod looked better during the regular season than during the preseason before he got here.

He said that he was giving everyone a blank slate and he would go off of what he saw this year.

As such, it is hard to argue that ERod has been better this preseason than a guy like Sobotka. And the preseason is what Krueger is using to base things.

So, if ERod looks good in the regular season and Sobotka looks like he did last season, I would hope that ERod gets a look with Skinner and MoJo.

We shall see.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
I doubt this is about that.

Krueger is a new coach. He doesn't care that ERod looked better during the regular season than during the preseason before he got here.

He said that he was giving everyone a blank slate and he would go off of what he saw this year.

As such, it is hard to argue that ERod has been better this preseason than a guy like Sobotka. And the preseason is what Krueger is using to base things.

So, if ERod looks good in the regular season and Sobotka looks like he did last season, I would hope that ERod gets a look with Skinner and MoJo.

We shall see.

You're not going to convince me that this roster and lineup is based off of the merit of preseason. That's a joke take. I watched every preseason game. Okposo was awful. Scandella was horrendous. Lazar was great.

Sabres said the same shit at last years camp about it being an open competition. It's insulting bullshit.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You're not going to convince me that this roster and lineup is based off of the merit of preseason. That's a joke take. I watched every preseason game. Okposo was awful. Scandella was horrendous. Lazar was great.

Sabres said the same **** at last years camp about it being an open competition. It's insulting bull****.

Scandella is playing on the 3rd pair largely because he is better on the PK than Gilmour who was the only other LD in competition for that last spot.

And if Lazar was great, I guess I have to wonder what your definition of great was.

He wasn't so great that he was claimed off of waivers.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Scandella is playing on the 3rd pair largely because he is better on the PK than Gilmour who was the only other LD in competition for that last spot.

And if Lazar was great, I guess I have to wonder what your definition of great was.

He wasn't so great that he was claimed off of waivers.
Don't waste your time. If you think this roster is based off merit, we're done.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Blank slate does not mean everyone gets an equal shot at making the team based on preseason performance. That just would not be reasonable. Player development, waiver status, contracts, and even the needs of the farm club all need to play a role in the decision.

Reactions: Dingo44

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If Mitts isn't suited to the secondary scoring role, what is he suited for?

I think he could be a secondary scoring WINGER, but not center at this point. That doesn't mean he can't be center long term, just let him catch up to the league speed at the wing. Not just the skating but the decision making. Then give him more responsibility.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think he could be a secondary scoring WINGER, but not center at this point. That doesn't mean he can't be center long term, just let him catch up to the league speed at the wing. Not just the skating but the decision making. Then give him more responsibility.

That gets back to the roster building issue.

Botterill hasn't gotten a legit 2C since he created the crater in that spot last off season. Forget about adding a legit 2C AND a legit 3C to allow Mitts to play on the wing.

Unless you want to go back to beating the dead horse about moving Reinhart to C. But, that still only fills one of those two holes if you want Mitts on the wing.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The strength of schedule for each NHL team based on opposing...

1. Buffalo Sabres
Opposing goalie average tier rating: 2.48
Carter Hutton’s average rating: 3.69
Rating gap: minus-1.21
The Sabres have done a lot well but this has the potential to be a real problem. By nature of playing in the Atlantic Division and consistently facing the likes of Andrei Vasilevskiy, Tuukka Rask, Carey Price and now Sergei Bobrovsky, they’re going to be on the wrong side of the goalie equation on a regular basis. Factor in the low expectations for Hutton and the gap is pretty sizable.

:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad