2019-20 Roster Speculation Pt. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Just wanted to pop in to say how depressing this team is. Year 3 of Botterill and we’re going into the season opener with Sobotka on the 2nd line. That’s a pretty spectacular fail. Is anyone excited for this season?

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Just wanted to pop in to say how depressing this team is. Year 3 of Botterill and we’re going into the season opener with Sobotka on the 2nd line. That’s a pretty spectacular fail. Is anyone excited for this season?

Not really but I'm addicted. I'm more interested in watching Rochester. If you look at the resale ticket prices I'm not the only one. The Bills playing well isnt helping either.

I'm just stunned that we have to deal with these same bad players again that have lost games here for years upon years, and people are defending it! Adding Johansson and Miller isnt even close.

Just hoping it doesnt become a full meltdown and they play fast hockey

Reactions: Professor Chaos

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
Yes, very excited for the season, just like every October since I started attending Sabres games 48 years ago. Thanks for asking!

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Good for you guys, seriously. I guess I’m at a point with this team where I need some motivation. I haven’t felt this apathetic about them since the bankruptcy. I feel like I’m going to be hate watching them a lot this year. I don’t think I’m alone.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Good for you guys, seriously. I guess I’m at a point with this team where I need some motivation. I haven’t felt this apathetic about them since the bankruptcy. I feel like I’m going to be hate watching them a lot this year. I don’t think I’m alone.

I love watching even when they lose, idc. Though its more fun when we have a few guys willing to fight to keep me entertained while we lose so that's disappointing for sure with this years roster...

Reactions: Dirty Dog

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I guess the thread was locked because it reached 1000 threshold? I was intending to respond to some direct queries but am not being allowed to.

Just so you know Fezzy and others....I'm not ducking you. But I'm also no keyboard wiz and when things are made difficult, I just move on.....

P.S. I am an eternal pessimist. I think it's in the WNY water I drank growing up. I'm giving RK as pass because the clock on him hasn't really started yet.

What would it take for me to go sour on Kreuger? If he demonstrates an inability to adjust in games, between periods and between games. Sticking with an approach long after its been proven not to work. Not adjusting his system to maximizes and leverages players strengths and abilities.

He's gonna do dumb things. All coaches do. Wrong face-off location or personnel on the ice. Occasional bad line up. Getting a too many men because of a bad line change. If poor game and bench management becomes a consistent problem, then I'll call him out. But until then, I want to see what he can do with the roster he's been handed.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The roster right now is just a player or two away from any roster that any poster could have guessed at three months ago. We all knew it couldn't be transformed into a Cup contender this off-season, so complaining about it now is just blowing steam for the sake of it. Accept this season as a transition where any of the pending UFAs get traded or waived at some point in favor of Thompson, Asplund, Jokiharju or Borgen.

To see how some of these prospects can hopefully turn into quality NHL players is worth watching for me. To see how many of them can prove they are worth taking those spots that will open up next summer is fun. To see what trades or signings can be made between now and next September, which is clearly the time to transition into a playoff team, is exciting. Even when most of you here suck the ever-living life out of this forum with incessant pessimism, there is going to be Sabres hockey worth following.

None of you sour pusses can ruin it for me, and THAT'S how good hockey season is!!

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'm excited.

There's a lot of talent on this team. Eichel, Dahlin, Skinner, Reinhart are all gold. Newcomers like Montour, Miller, Johansson, Olofsson, Jokiharju should be good. Girgensons and Larsson should be solid in their usual 4th line role and maybe Krueger can squeeze a little bit of offense out of them and/or help Okposo and Scandella turn it around a little. Even got some guys like Risto and Sheary where it wouldn't be a huge stretch that they at least put up some points.

If you want to dwell on one more year of Sobotka and mope around, by all means. You aren't alone.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I'm excited.

There's a lot of talent on this team. Eichel, Dahlin, Skinner, Reinhart are all gold. Newcomers like Montour, Miller, Johansson, Olofsson, Jokiharju should be good. Girgensons and Larsson should be solid in their usual 4th line role and maybe Krueger can squeeze a little bit of offense out of them and/or help Okposo and Scandella turn it around a little. Even got some guys like Risto and Sheary where it wouldn't be a huge stretch that they at least put up some points.

If you want to dwell on one more year of Sobotka and mope around, by all means. You aren't alone.

I admire the optimism.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
He's gonna do dumb things. All coaches do. Wrong face-off location or personnel on the ice. Occasional bad line up. Getting a too many men because of a bad line change. If poor game and bench management becomes a consistent problem, then I'll call him out. But until then, I want to see what he can do with the roster he's been handed.

Amen to the bolded brother... Truer words have never been spoken

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I'm excited.

Agree with a lot here.

I am livid with Krueger & Botts that I still have to watch Sobotka play in this lineup in addition to some of the other lineup decisions previously mentioned, but don't let my anger confuse anyone, I'm always like a kid at Christmas when a new season starts. I love playing and love watching, there's nothing like the smell of a rink after the summer comes to an end!

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I'm a lot more excited this year than last under Housley.

I like what I have seen in preseason. The players looked much more structured and connected under Krueger.

For this team to be a playoff contender, Ullmark will have to step up and be a consistently good goalie. Not much faith in Hutton.
Mitts is sink or swim this year and he better swim. Unless a Risto deal brings a Centre back but I just don't see a fit with a team looking to give one up.

People throwing away the season because Sobotka is listed on the 2nd line in practice is ridiculous and shows how toxic the current fan culture is. He may not even play there come Thursday or might play a couple shifts.

I think this team will be a lot more competitive and I think a guy like Girgs will have a much better year under Krueger.

Not expecting miracles but not punting the season before game 1 begins. I have a feeling when this season ends we will feel much better then when last season ended.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We need to put the same effort into GDT's that we demand from the team on the ice. None of the minimalist crap! I've seen Eichel on the bench look down, probably at a phone or tablet, and his shoulders slump. He looking at the damn GDT!

Feel free to format that then.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah, i'm in the excited camp. Can't wait for Thursday.

Even though I don't have high expectations, the beauty of sports is there's always a degree of unpredictability. Otherwise there'd be no point in watching.

And hey even if you do think you know the outcome, half the beauty is how they get there.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
There was plenty of turnover, getting rid of Housley was huge, and I like the emphasis on bolstering the blueline but I'm not feeling optimistic about this forward group. Olofsson looks like a real gem that should be a key piece for this year. I don't trust Johansson at center and we all saw Mittlestadt struggle mightily trying to play a middle 6 center role. Getting a 2C was our biggest need this offseason and unfortunately it never got addressed. It sure would be nice if an elementary move was made to improve the roster like waiving Sobotka or even Okposo to make way for younger players. I fear it's the same old "complete garbage vets holding roster spots" routine we've all gotten so used to. I don't see significant improvement coming this season. I think we still miss the playoffs. I Really do hope they surprise me.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad