2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
And I get that for the 1st PP unit but put Reinhart on the 2nd PP, where you can actually use his ability to be a playmaker and therefore making your 2 PP units strong.

I don't believe that they have enough offensive talent to make PP2 a legit threat even by putting Reinhart on the second unit.

They have two legit PP guys on that second unit in that scenario in Reinhart & Risto.

For entertainment purposes, I'd love to see them run Stimp's behind the net PP on PP2.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't believe that they have enough offensive talent to make PP2 a legit threat even by putting Reinhart on the second unit.

They have two legit PP guys on that second unit in that scenario in Reinhart & Risto.

1st PP Unit as the 1-3-1 layout:

Girgensons
Eichel - Skinner - Oloffson
Dahlin

2nd Unit as the 1-3-1 layout
Vesey
Reinhart-Mittelstadt-MaJo
Joker

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011

For entertainment purposes, I'd love to see them run Stimp's behind the net PP on PP2.

Funny I was basically thinking the same thing yesterday and looking at our lineup and it hit me....We don't really have much for talent on our #2 PP

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
So our depth of defense is big and trade is inevitable, on the contrary, there is not enough talent in the attack. There is information that yesterday’s game was attended scouting director Ducks, scouts Rangers and Canadiens, scouts Stars, Devils, Jets, Flames and Blues. Maybe Botterill is going to trade with one of these teams.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
We need a #1 goalie badly. The #1 constant throughout all these shitty years is the lack of a true #1 goalie. We were spoiled so long with Hasek/Miller that we just assumed someone would be next in line but it just hasn't happened. Are there any goalies available and if so they should be all over that. Hutton and Ullmark are just so below average. Stealing a game every now and then would be really nice.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
We need a #1 goalie badly. The #1 constant throughout all these ****ty years is the lack of a true #1 goalie. We were spoiled so long with Hasek/Miller that we just assumed someone would be next in line but it just hasn't happened. Are there any goalies available and if so they should be all over that. Hutton and Ullmark are just so below average. Stealing a game every now and then would be really nice.

They're not really below average - but they are just 'meh' most games. we just have to watch division rivals in TB & MTL who happen to have outstanding goaltenders... Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen certainly looks the part going forward so I wouldn't expect a huge long-term investment between the pipes as a stop gap.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
They're not really below average - but they are just 'meh' most games. we just have to watch division rivals in TB & MTL who happen to have outstanding goaltenders... Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen certainly looks the part going forward so I wouldn't expect a huge long-term investment between the pipes as a stop gap.
Depending on UPL being a true #1 years down the road should not stop you from pursuing one at all. I would willingly give up assets for a stud long term.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Toronto and Boston both have significantly better starters than Buffalo and in the Bruins’ case, a better backup as well.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Toronto and Boston both have significantly better starters than Buffalo and in the Bruins’ case, a better backup as well.

I'm pretty sure Toronto fans would question your glowing assessment of Freddie - he's very Hutton-esque... Hot for a game or two, then runs an .810 for a game or 2. Halak isnt winning the vezina anytime soon either - but he's alright.

I Can't however rip Rask at all...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
bolded names have got to go, especially Vesey. Put anyone else there.

Girgensons is a guy who can fight in front of the and in corners to win the puck. Useful when the other team clears the zone and you have to enter the zone again. We are horrible at this, Girgensons would improve that.

Veseys strength is in front of the net, on top of the crease. He could also win board battles much like Girgensons.

those are my reasons why they are there.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
So when do we get Pilut?

I wouldn't be surprised if teams are asking for him in any kind of deal Bott's is trying to make. I would be reluctant in some ways depending on the players coming back of course, but he is still unproven in the nhl to some extent. He also offers you a level of insurance in case you cannot resign Montour. If you have that doubt and the right deal is there this is a roll of the dice you might make although I do hope it's another D.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Girgensons is a guy who can fight in front of the and in corners to win the puck. Useful when the other team clears the zone and you have to enter the zone again. We are horrible at this, Girgensons would improve that.

Veseys strength is in front of the net, on top of the crease. He could also win board battles much like Girgensons.

those are my reasons why they are there.

Girgs, maybe. I haven’t seen Vesey win one board battle all year. Probly because I haven’t seen him engage in a board battle since he shies away from contact and falls over when he does.

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
I would love to to an Okposo trade like the Oilers did. What does Ladd have left in the tank? Ladd for Okposo?

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
Ladd is worse. No.
Man Ladd was great a few years ago. Thats disappointing had toughness too. Ladd from 3 or 4 years ago is the exact type of player this team is missing.

I like Botts acquisitions individually but I see a real problem trading Risto with the toughness on this team.

Toughness is usually not that expensive. Any one of our top 7-8 defenders would address it. I don't know why Botts doesn't address this issue quickly.

Kassian, McNabb, Lemieux, Kane, Foligno....We always traded toughness for finesse.

Last edited:

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
If only we took Draisaitl instead of Reinhart we would be fine right now. Eichel could be our #2 that the coach can play matchups against.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
If only we took Draisaitl instead of Reinhart we would be fine right now. Eichel could be our #2 that the coach can play matchups against.

You don’t get Draisaitl and still get Dahlin though. Unfortunately for the last few weeks , that would probably be another plus.

Reactions: EichHart

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya

Chances are better that Reinhart and McDavid are setting each other up and we botch Draisaitl's development, and we'd be debating whether or not picking Draisaitl at #2 is one of TM's worst mistakes.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Draisaitl isn't a center any more than Reinhart is. Eichel would have a better winger, maybe (you have to account for (1) the McDavid effect and (2) the fact that Drai might've developed very differently the Sabres' system).

Literally no professional ranking had Drai ahead of the Sams at the draft. Nobody foresaw Drai breaking out the way that he had. There are plenty of legitimate gripes with the Sabres front office over the last many years, but that draft choice isn't one of them.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Draisaitl isn't a center any more than Reinhart is. Eichel would have a better winger, maybe (you have to account for (1) the McDavid effect and (2) the fact that Drai might've developed very differently the Sabres' system).

Literally no professional ranking had Drai ahead of the Sams at the draft. Nobody foresaw Drai breaking out the way that he had. There are plenty of legitimate gripes with the Sabres front office over the last many years, but that draft choice isn't one of them.

@stokes84 did.

Reinhart is 4th in his draft class in scoring. It’s not like he’s a bum. In first is the guy that plays with the best player in the game, in second is the guy on the best line in hockey.

Reactions: stokes84
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad