2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What an uninspiring roster. And the sad thing is we have little flexibility to meaningfully change it absent dollar-for-dollar deals.

That's why all the "Make a trade already" takes make me laugh.

Botts has built a roster with zero cap flexibility. And with so many capped out teams around the league, it makes it tough to make deals work from both a hockey and a cap POV.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
That's why all the "Make a trade already" takes make me laugh.

Botts has built a roster with zero cap flexibility. And with so many capped out teams around the league, it makes it tough to make deals work from both a hockey and a cap POV.

And that's on him. He's had a hand in bringing guys in, or had a hand in their current contract with all but 3 players on the team (Okposo, Bogo, Ristolainen).

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
And that's on him. He's had a hand in bringing guys in, or had a hand in their current contract with all but 3 players on the team (Okposo, Bogo, Ristolainen).

For better or worse those 3 players do represent 20% of the total cap, or 37% of the cap flexibility (81.5M - the 14M that all league minimum contracts would cost).

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
We're already kind of cap strapped...can you imagine if we had Berglund @ 4M for the next 3 years on top of this?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
We're already kind of cap strapped...can you imagine if we had Berglund @ 4M for the next 3 years on top of this?

Buffalo looks to have about $10M in space to acquire/sign players ..this is after factoring in signing RFAs over the next 2 years. They have more room for contracts expiring in 2021.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Why don't we put Reinhart/eichel/skinner together? Oloffson has been struggling on that line.

They have at times in the last few games, especially late. Granted, Olofsson has been a bit better at establishing cycle and taking himself to the net in that span too. *shrug*

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Assuming Asplund is in for Larsson, I'd like to see:

Skinner-Eichel-Sheary
Olofsson-Asplund-Reinhart
ERod-Mitts-Lazar
Vesey-Girgensons-Okposo

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Why don't we put Reinhart/eichel/skinner together? Oloffson has been struggling on that line.

The same reason why they said could create offense on the wing just fine (for justification of keeping him on the wing), and yet is still on a line with Eichel; They don't know what they are doing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The same reason why they said could create offense on the wing just fine (for justification of keeping him on the wing), and yet is still on a line with Eichel; They don't know what they are doing.

I'm not there yet. I think they have an idea of what they want the team to do and the personnel has a lot of bad habits. They don't engage consistently though they have been a bit better for a flash under RK than they were at any time under Phil.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm not there yet. I think they have an idea of what they want the team to do and the personnel has a lot of bad habits. They don't engage consistently though they have been a bit better for a flash under RK than they were at any time under Phil.

That's fair, and there's nothing wrong with thinking that.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I simply cannot wrap my head around how back to back coaching staffs have failed to recognize that Reinhart - Eichel just flat out doesn’t work.

Reactions: sabremike

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I simply cannot wrap my head around how back to back coaching staffs have failed to recognize that Reinhart - Eichel just flat out doesn’t work.

Eichel and Reinhart have worked fine... the few times EROD was the other winger. Not sure why Krueger won't try that

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

It works for a limited time period, then they get stale. It's the longer than necessary decision making of the coaching staffs that is the problem. If you need a boost, sure put them together, but for longer term, split them apart and get rid of Reinhart deferring to Eichel at every moment.

What I can't wrap my head around is how back to back to back coaching staffs have Reinhart standing directly in front of the goalie or the side of the goalie instead on the half wall as a PP QB. It's as if they didn't watch any film on the guy of where/when he's most effective.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It works for a limited time period, then they get stale. It's the longer than necessary decision making of the coaching staffs that is the problem. If you need a boost, sure put them together, but for longer term, split them apart and get rid of Reinhart deferring to Eichel at every moment.

What I can't wrap my head around is how back to back to back coaching staffs have Reinhart standing directly in front of the goalie or the side of the goalie instead on the half wall as a PP QB. It's as if they didn't watch any film on the guy of where/when he's most effective.

They obviously value shooters on the halfway versus playmakers.

Given the personnel that they have, I get why they go with players where they were to start the year in the 1-3-1 and why it was hot to start.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
They obviously value shooters on the halfway versus playmakers.

Given the personnel that they have, I get why they go with players where they were to start the year in the 1-3-1 and why it was hot to start.

And I get that for the 1st PP unit but put Reinhart on the 2nd PP, where you can actually use his ability to be a playmaker and therefore making your 2 PP units strong.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

i think it really is time to split that duo up. get reinhart on the second line, then we go:

useless-jack-useless
skins-mitts-sam
vo-mojo-useless
LOG

honestly, we only have a have a handful of forwards that can actually play assigned roles on the team, and young guys/rookies like VO/mitts still really aren't ready. whatever we do, we still only have 2 lines that really resemble those of nhl quality. i wish our prospects could develop faster, but that's just the way she goes. we gotta wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad