2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Johansson is a difference maker on this team. Changes the entire dynamic with him in the lineup. Casey is such a huge disappointment. We need Cozens to take over that 2C role once hes ready.

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Regardless of the exact timing of a potential KO return, Botterill should be able to hear and see the burning fuse of the cap bomb that's about to go off on his roster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Johansson is a difference maker on this team. Changes the entire dynamic with him in the lineup. Casey is such a huge disappointment. We need Cozens to take over that 2C role once hes ready.

Or they could find a decent 3C and allow Mitts to continue on the wing while they break Cozens in instead of feeding another kid into the roster with too high expectations for their ability to instantly fix what ails the roster? Have we learned nothing from Mittelstadt? Or Reinhart? Or Girgensons? Or Grigorenko? This isn't new. Let's see them try something else.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Regardless of the exact timing of a potential KO return, Botterill should be able to hear and see the burning fuse of the cap bomb that's about to go off on his roster.
upload_2019-12-2_11-13-0.jpeg

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Or they could find a decent 3C and allow Mitts to continue on the wing while they break Cozens in instead of feeding another kid into the roster with too high expectations for their ability to instantly fix what ails the roster? Have we learned nothing from Mittelstadt? Or Reinhart? Or Girgensons? Or Grigorenko? This isn't new. Let's see them try something else.

Of the players that you listed, Reinhart has been the only one that was developed correctly. I believe his first year to be tried at center should've been last year. I don't think he was ready any of the years prior for that duty. Though, it's not too late with Sam to get him back on the right path, the longer they wait to move him away from wing, the worse his recession in development will be.

Mittelstadt should be playing #1 center duties this year in college, Girgensons should've went to college, and Grigorenko should've been sent back to Juniors his post draft year..

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Of the players that you listed, Reinhart has been the only one that was developed correctly. I believe his first year to be tried at center should've been last year. I don't think he was ready any of the years prior for that duty. Though, it's not too late with Sam to get him back on the right path, the longer they wait to move him away from wing, the worse his recession in development will be.

Mittelstadt should be playing #1 center duties this year in college, Girgensons should've went to college, and Grigorenko should've been sent back to Juniors his post draft year..

Reinhart at center with something approaching replacement level wingers could have left them with a three-line rotation with Eichel and O'Reilly as the other pivots. It also pre-supposes an improvement in a couple of winger options in Phil's first year.

At some point, it would be nice to have the pivots to keep kids in their development tier until they are ready rather than constantly rushing them.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I’d like to see Dahlin get a conditioning stint in the AHL before he comes back. He hasn’t been very good this year or at least as good as he was last year. Hopefully he’d regain some confidence dominating in the AHL.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I’d like to see Dahlin get a conditioning stint in the AHL before he comes back. He hasn’t been very good this year or at least as good as he was last year. Hopefully he’d regain some confidence dominating in the AHL.
There is even no place for him, because they stubbornly do not want to call up Pilut, and Botterill continues to sit with his depth of defense and do nothing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
1 goal and no assists in the last 17 games...How the hell is Mittelstadt not down in Rochester ? And, it's not like all of a sudden he's going to snap out of it and go on a tear.

1.33 seasons in the books and he's still treading on his draft position and a U20 from his D+1 year. In terms of on-ice impact, Asplund and Larsson give them two relatively reliable defensive pivots, Eichel of course is explosive and Johansson is competent if not ideal in his role. They could easily decide to send Casey down to work on his game as a high-minute, all situation center with the Americans. But... they don't.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

That's exactly what I meant. Cozens won't be ready for at least another year or 2. Rushing prospects does not work. Look at Makar who was likely ready last year, but him coming over this year helped immensely.

Reactions: Gabrielor

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
They have 10 players that are eating up almost $50M in cap space next year. That leaves $35M or so for 12 roster spots.

If RFAs like Reinhart, Olofsson, and Montour getting sizable raises and you want to address issues like the center depth, then you can't afford to give $10+M to a winger.

Plus, who knows what it does to the locker room to pay a guy like Hall more than Eichel makes.

Reasonable concerns on the surface. After work I will spend too much time showing why its a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad