2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Man would I ever love to get Pageau (if available)

Eichel
Pageau
Johansson

down the middle would be huge. Allows Cozens and Mitts (if not part of a trade) to play wing.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Yeah I'm guessing the chance of getting Pageau out of Ottawa has become very slim with how he has played this season.

Still betting when we do make a trade it will be for a RW. But man do we need a C. I think both MoJo and Mitts would be nicer to have as wingers.

Skinner - Eichel - Mittelstadt
Johansson - X - Reinhart
Olofsson - X - Sheary

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
We are 10k+ posts into this, and the biggest glaring need is still the same.

Unless J-Botts wants another season flushed away, time to act.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Everyone wants Pageau, but its price is growing exorbitantly with each game, I doubt that Botts will give our first round to rent for Pageau only if we agree on an extension.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We are 10k+ posts into this, and the biggest glaring need is still the same.

Unless J-Botts wants another season flushed away, time to act.

Ever since he dealt you-know-who, and even before that they could have used another quality pivot. They have two - Larsson who is a decent shot suppressor/grind guy and Eichel. The space inbetween remains vast, especially with the "found money" solution of Johansson is dinged.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sens fans were onboard with a second and swapping salary a while ago. Who knows if that's what Dorion would take. Pageau remains an ideal on-ice candidate for a mid-line role who can offer flexibility in how he is deployed.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Sens fans were onboard with a second and swapping salary a while ago. Who knows if that's what Dorion would take. Pageau remains an ideal on-ice candidate for a mid-line role who can offer flexibility in how he is deployed.

Gotta think the price is higher now. Like at LEAST a 2nd conditional to a 1st if he resigns.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Gotta think the price is higher now. Like at LEAST a 2nd conditional to a 1st if he resigns.

Probably. For a contending team, a potential pick in the 20's, especially if he plays up to his playoff pedigree, should be a reasonable cost.

Now, for a team that isn't certain of its playoff future like Buffalo, conditional first rounders get hairy.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Probably. For a contending team, a potential pick in the 20's, especially if he plays up to his playoff pedigree, should be a reasonable cost.

Now, for a team that isn't certain of its playoff future like Buffalo, conditional first rounders get hairy.

The "good" news is Buffalo can't afford to resign him for more than a year anyway.. so like.. problem solved. As much fun as playoffs would be I can't advocate trading longer term assets just to sneak in.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The "good" news is Buffalo can't afford to resign him for more than a year anyway.. so like.. problem solved. As much fun as playoffs would be I can't advocate trading longer term assets just to sneak in.

Possibly. He's a nice mid-line center which the Sabres don't have and could use. The visibility of his play has certainly improved and with that the perception of his trade return. The Sens would be foolish to part with a rising value asset without forcing a bidding war, one which Buffalo is not in a position to participate. That was my point - a team that is likely to not just get in but go several rounds is going to find less issue with parting with even a conditional first round pick for someone like Pageau instead. Buffalo is still in the "hope we are competitive, this is beginning to be embarrassing, gee who is available in the draft around 5...6...7..." place.

They can't afford to flip a first for short-term rentals.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I've been banging the Pageau drum since early last season. IMO even with the injury he was the single best 2C trade candidate leaguewide in terms of cost vs benefit. Now it is looking like his appeal around the league is gonna skyrocket his value.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've been banging the Pageau drum since early last season. IMO even with the injury he was the single best 2C trade candidate leaguewide in terms of cost vs benefit. Now it is looking like his appeal around the league is gonna skyrocket his value.

Yep, he's been my favorite under-the-radar guy for a long time too. Not any more. Moving on...

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Yeah, I think he's going to wind up being too expensive for us to take on. I'd give up a 2nd and a decent prospect for him easily, but I'm not sure that'll do it..........or if that's even what Dorion is looking for.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Sounds like MoJo was injured for a while, and they tried to see if the rest before the sweden games would suffice.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Whatever we do in a trade it needs to actually address weak spots on the team, not just fill holes in the lineup. For example, I think one of our biggest weak spots is that we are last in the league in FO% at 46.7%. This is a very important possession statistic and we are terrible at it. Of course they practice it, but it doesn't help having a 45% guy practicing against another 45% guy. We have no one on this team that is a dominant FO guy. As much as we would all love to bring in a top #2 center, the price of that may be to high at this point in the season and team development. I think targeting a 3rd line FO dominating center would be a more reasonable scenario and could do more to help.

I would like to see a concept like:

Skinner - Eichel - Mittelstadt (combines elite skating)
Olofsson - Johansson - Reinhart (These are all genuine second line talented NHL players)
XXX - FO Center - XXX
LOG Line

Where XXX is any combo of Vesey/Erod/Sheary/Sabotka/Lasar dependant on the team you will be playing against. Note that every one of these 3rd line players is easily replaceable talent so make them earn every minute of icetime and fight for their careers. Ship out or send to the minors any that are not playing like its their last game ever.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If any of you checked out the schedule you will see MoJo is going to miss 2 of the 3 games on the schedule this month we could reasonably be expected to get a result out of. At this point there is a real chance our season will be all but over by December. Also thanks NHL for putting us in the stupid Global Games so our schedule would end up being a meat grinder, thanks for making a bad sittuation 10 times worse!!!

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
What an uninspiring roster. And the sad thing is we have little flexibility to meaningfully change it absent dollar-for-dollar deals.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->