Speculation: 2019-20 Roster, Cap, Trade Discussion (MOD WARNING POST #542)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
True, but unlike previous years we might have a good shot at landing a top free agent from Europe. Anaheim is a popular team in Finland and we do have a top-4 RD position up for grabs after trading Monty.
Do we thou? Hampus Manson and Fowler Guhle. The Fowler guhle pairing although small sample size has been excellent. I’m sure we can give he guy a decent shot at earning a spot but nothings Set in stone

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Given Guhle couldn't crack Buffalo's defence, I'm not sure we should be pencilling him into the top 4 just yet.
3 of Buffalo’s best defensemen statistically are Nelson (scratched constantly), Pilut (sent to the AHL), and Beaulieu (scratched constantly and then traded for scraps and is doing well in Winnipeg). I wouldn’t put much stock into how they evaluate defensemen.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
3 of Buffalo’s best defensemen statistically are Nelson (scratched constantly), Pilut (sent to the AHL), and Beaulieu (scratched constantly and then traded for scraps and is doing well in Winnipeg). I wouldn’t put much stock into how they evaluate defensemen.

Fair enough. But the hype on Guhle after a game or two here should be discounted as much if not more (sample size). Right now he's nothing more than another Larsson, Wellinski, Megna, Mahura hoping to show something.

Reactions: Dmang714

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
Can someone please tell me about Oliwer Kaski and why he is so desirable as a UFA playing in Europe? Thanks.

He's a big, mobile, puck moving, late-blooming RHD, whose arguably the best defenceman in the Finnish league right now and is undrafted.

I've seen him play a few times, and there's definitely promise. Remainds me a bit of Vatanen, except he's a lot bigger and more balanced as a player. Last year he played with Miro Heiskanen, and improved his defensive play a lot, this season he's found his offensive game in a big way.

One of the reasons he's gone under the radar is that he started as a forward but didn't have much success, and switched to D pretty late in his career. I could see him coming over to NHL next season, but I'm not entirely convinced that he can keep up with more competition, and would like to see him play a season in KHL or AHL to get more looks.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Even if their evaluation is bad, I'm doubting that it's so completely terrible that even a terrible defensive team like Buffalo wouldn't be willing to give him more then a couple of games on the NHL team over 3rd pairing or fringe NHL guys.

Either way, I'm not saying Guhle will be terrible, but I certainly think we should be pumping the brakes on him being a top 4 guy next season on the basis of a couple of decent games with Anaheim - especially as he had some struggles in the AHL this season and stagnated from what I've read. If Guhle turns into a serviceable 3rd pairing guy next year, that would be a big win for us and really that's not even set in stone at this point let alone considering him for a top 4 role.

I'd also argue that Larsson at the very least is easily ahead of him in the depth chart at this point too.

Reactions: Paul4587

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Can someone please tell me about Oliwer Kaski and why he is so desirable as a UFA playing in Europe? Thanks.

He has crazy good stats (17+30 in 55 games), 6th in points (1st in points for defensemen) and he turns 24 in September. Has been improving very well in last few seasons, skates and shoots the puck very well, has very good size too. Kaski is too good for the Finnish league and likely gets to represent team Finland in WC. Of course, he's not guaranteed to succeed in the NHL but that is a good guy to gamble on.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Fair enough. But the hype on Guhle after a game or two here should be discounted as much if not more (sample size). Right now he's nothing more than another Larsson, Wellinski, Megna, Mahura hoping to show something.

Especially given he’s also had a couple of games where he was completely lost in his own end.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
M

Statistically our best two dmen this season are Welinski and Megna. Statistics don’t mean anything over the types of sample sizes those guys have played and when they’re getting sheltered deployment against weak competition.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He has crazy good stats (17+30 in 55 games), 6th in points (1st in points for defensemen) and he turns 24 in September. Has been improving very well in last few seasons, skates and shoots the puck very well, has very good size too. Kaski is too good for the Finnish league and likely gets to represent team Finland in WC. Of course, he's not guaranteed to succeed in the NHL but that is a good guy to gamble on.
He's a big, mobile, puck moving, late-blooming RHD, whose arguably the best defenceman in the Finnish league right now and is undrafted.

I've seen him play a few times, and there's definitely promise. Remainds me a bit of Vatanen, except he's a lot bigger and more balanced as a player. Last year he played with Miro Heiskanen, and improved his defensive play a lot, this season he's found his offensive game in a big way.

One of the reasons he's gone under the radar is that he started as a forward but didn't have much success, and switched to D pretty late in his career. I could see him coming over to NHL next season, but I'm not entirely convinced that he can keep up with more competition, and would like to see him play a season in KHL or AHL to get more looks.

Thank you both. :thumbu:

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
What do we think about giving NCAA/EURO free agents a crack to improve our roster since we are looking at the youth route? Maybe we can attract more since there more opportunities.

Doesn’t seem like there’s a Panarin or Bobrvosky out there: Ten European free agents who could land NHL deals - TheHockeyNews

2019 Top NCAA NHL Free Agents

How about:

1) If we don’t resign Grant, Nico Sturm seems like a good option.

2) Taro Hirose looks like a fun playmaker, but we have many project guys in that mold like Sprong.

3) Joakim Nygard - he would be nice if Kase can’t stay healthy.

4) Jani Hakanpaa could be an option if we move on from Holzer and Dotchin/Sieloff need another year of seasoning.

These would be cheaper options that I’d prefer over overpaying for older vets...

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I hope dotchin works his ass off this off season he was much better than megna or holzer

Reactions: Getzmonster

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
I hope dotchin works his ass off this off season he was much better than megna or holzer
I almost said in the GDT against the Blues that I cannot wait until Holzer is gone. He's not a total blackhole but man has he been useless the past couple years, even for a 7th dman. I'd be totally comfortable rolling Larsson-Dotchin as the bottom pair next year.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
TSN/Bob McKenzie fire the first shots towards the upcoming college UFA season. I like everything about the idea of signing German kid Nico Sturm...

Coaching news also -- Swedish coach Rikard Grönborg is getting NHL interest, rumor has it that he already interviewed for the NYR job last summer. McKenzie also says that Ralph Krüger is interested in getting another NHL opportunity, but "only if the fit is right".

Last edited:

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
With the way the team has looked since scratching Kes, there's no way BM thinks it's worth having him try to go through another offseason of rehab, right?

I'm starting to get really confident that we actually won't see much change roster wise. I think we'll start next season looking much the same now, with Kase added in. Jones and Terry have nothing left to prove in the A. Steel and Lundestrom should get good looks. Some combination of Rowney/Grant/Shore is decent as bottom 6 centers, if he doesn't bring in anyone else. And now that Silf is being used in a more offensive role, I don't dislike the extension since he's showing he can produce. Him, Kase, Rakell and Sprong are all capable of 20-30 goals with the right usage. Ritchie and Perry should reach double digits. Same for Jones and Terry if they're up the whole year. Plus Comtois will still challenge for a spot.

Does our forward group look...promising??

I'm not so certain about the D if Fowler doesn't rebound.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
With the way the team has looked since scratching Kes, there's no way BM thinks it's worth having him try to go through another offseason of rehab, right?

I'm starting to get really confident that we actually won't see much change roster wise. I think we'll start next season looking much the same now, with Kase added in. Jones and Terry have nothing left to prove in the A. Steel and Lundestrom should get good looks. Some combination of Rowney/Grant/Shore is decent as bottom 6 centers, if he doesn't bring in anyone else. And now that Silf is being used in a more offensive role, I don't dislike the extension since he's showing he can produce. Him, Kase, Rakell and Sprong are all capable of 20-30 goals with the right usage. Ritchie and Perry should reach double digits. Same for Jones and Terry if they're up the whole year. Plus Comtois will still challenge for a spot.

I'm much more concerned with Manson bouncing back and Lindholm taking the next step as opposed to Fowler. This is assuming Lindholm-Manson is the #1 pairing next season, because both have been very underwhelming IMO and shoulder much more responsibility.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I'm much more concerned with Manson bouncing back and Lindholm taking the next step as opposed to Fowler. This is assuming Lindholm-Manson is the #1 pairing next season, because both have been very underwhelming IMO and shoulder much more responsibility.
This. with the way fowler has been deployed and how he looked with Guhle not worried at all. Fowler's been jumping into offensive holes and actually looking like a very competent offensive defenseman.

Lindholm-Manson are still falling over the ice and making bad reads. Both panther goals last game were due to defensive breakdowns by this pairing. They need ot step up and just focus on D.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
This. with the way fowler has been deployed and how he looked with Guhle not worried at all. Fowler's been jumping into offensive holes and actually looking like a very competent offensive defenseman.

Lindholm-Manson are still falling over the ice and making bad reads. Both panther goals last game were due to defensive breakdowns by this pairing. They need ot step up and just focus on D.

I'm really hoping, and kind of counting on, that a full season with a new and more competent coaching staff will help our D. Having RC learn and coach a new style was a disaster, and now we're playing without a head coaching style at all.

Reactions: KelVarnsen
Oct 18, 2011

I think you're putting a little too much stock into relatively meaningless games. We still lack dynamic forwards as well as offensive D.

Development of Terry plus rhe return of Kase is promising. Key is if Steel is ready to step in as our number 3 center next year. We will depending on many young forwards which will mean ups and downs which makes it more critical to improve our d core skill

Reactions: GeraldDucksworth

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
Am I a heathen for having Sprong ahead of Terry on my depth chart? Really loving his shoot first mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad