Speculation: 2019-20 Roster, Cap, Trade Discussion (MOD WARNING POST #542)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
All of them look for top pairing defense or elite winger. I also don't believe they don't need a elite center man. You can have that kind of talent on your 3rd line for 3years ELC.
Sure, but there is more risk involved, especially when the organizations have been trying unsuccessfully to develop talent for years.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The only way you trade Ricky (if at all) is on the draft floor when the pick is on the clock. If the scouts feel strongly about a guy when EDM, COL, and NJ pick that's when a potential deal could happen. Bob would obviously have to have had prior conversations with all those teams to gauge interest and a firm price based on the desired draftee being available at that given pick.

It's a ballsy move and doesn't seem like Bob's kind of deal, but who knows. If the scouts really love one guy, maybe they browbeat Bob into making plans. I know everybody says the draft is C heavy, but you know all of those top 6-7 guys are not going to be studs. There will be disappointment because that's the nature of the game. You might end up with a very solid 2C but people will be pissed if the pick doesn't measure up to prime Getzlaf level of production.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I know everybody says the draft is C heavy, but you know all of those top 6-7 guys are not going to be studs. .

Not to mention that there’s a high chance our scouts go off the board and pick someone completely random anyway. I still remember the reactions in 2012 when we picked Lindholm. Hindsight would have him in the top 3, if not 1st overall.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The only way you trade Ricky (if at all) is on the draft floor when the pick is on the clock. If the scouts feel strongly about a guy when EDM, COL, and NJ pick that's when a potential deal could happen. Bob would obviously have to have had prior conversations with all those teams to gauge interest and a firm price based on the desired draftee being available at that given pick.

It's a ballsy move and doesn't seem like Bob's kind of deal, but who knows. If the scouts really love one guy, maybe they browbeat Bob into making plans. I know everybody says the draft is C heavy, but you know all of those top 6-7 guys are not going to be studs. There will be disappointment because that's the nature of the game. You might end up with a very solid 2C but people will be pissed if the pick doesn't measure up to prime Getzlaf level of production.

While I think the bolded is all very true, it must be said that the vast majority of young top centers in the league today were acquired via drafting, which is also an important part of "the game" that you mentioned. In today's NHL it is virtually impossible to win a Cup without a top center, and while a top center is not necessarily enough to guarantee success by himself (see Edmonton), it is a necessary building block that basically every team needs. IMO it's not like teams have the option of skipping said game.

Teams like Anaheim, NYI and Carolina have been extraordinarily fortunate, in the sense that they were able to draft an elite centerman without having a top tier draft pick (Getzlaf @ 19, Barzal @ 16, Aho @ 35). Right now Anaheim is looking at a potential bottom-10, maybe even a bottom-5 finish, which in a C heavy draft is IMO their best chance at a young 1C in a long while.

When it comes to trading Rakell though, that's a very different story. It's not just a question of whether we'd trade Rakell, it's also a question of whether other teams would give up their firsts (and that high potential) to get Ricky. I strongly doubt that any of the lottery contenders in COL, NJ, EDM, etc. would do that trade, and I strongly doubt that we'd be willing to do anything less.

Not to mention that there’s a high chance our scouts go off the board and pick someone completely random anyway. I still remember the reactions in 2012 when we picked Lindholm. Hindsight would have him in the top 3, if not 1st overall.

To be fair, Lindholm was a super late riser during his draft year, to the point where you could say he emerged from out of nowhere (who knew that Pierre McGuire's "this is a steal" -comment ended up being so accurate?). Had people become aware of him a month sooner, I strongly doubt he sits at 15 at TSN's pre-draft list, he would've at least been on par with Rielly, Trouba and Dumba.

I can definitely admit to saying "WTF?" when I saw the pick for the first time, and I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable reaction either. If you, as a GM go that off the board with a 6th overall pick with all the expectations and potential involved, you better make sure that prospect delivers. In this case the pick turned out to be gold, but one can't deny the risk involved with doing something like that. Regardless of Lindholm's perceived talent level on draft day, Bob put his job on the line right then and there when he called that pick.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I know that Montour makes a lot of questionable decisions leading to bad situations. And I'm sure nobody will ever mistake him for the most defensively sound defenseman. But I'd really like to see him playing for a coach who utilizes him (and everybody) in ways that focus on playing to the strength of the player. I feel like like he's running around like a rudderless ship who means well but has no clue what he should be doing when.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I know that Montour makes a lot of questionable decisions leading to bad situations. And I'm sure nobody will ever mistake him for the most defensively sound defenseman. But I'd really like to see him playing for a coach who utilizes him (and everybody) in ways that focus on playing to the strength of the player. I feel like like he's running around like a rudderless ship who means well but has no clue what he should be doing when.
Exactly. He deserves to have his balls busted just like everyone else, but he's still a very good young player with more to give. It's like he's hard-wired to play in a more aggressive offensive system and just doesn't mesh with the current... whatever it is they do out there.

Oct 18, 2011
I'm not trading Montour until he can play for an offensive coach.

The cap situation here is ridiculous I just can't believe we have so much money tied up in role players and old guys

Reactions: AngelDuck

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Here's a sheet that breaks everything down as the roster currently stands, for players actually signed next season.

Capture.jpg

4 slots now open, and an overload on RW. WHERE TF are our RDs??? XD

My guess is that there will be some further trades in the off-season to fill up our RD position. I expect at least one signing or trade for a RD, and guess that one LD will play off-side.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
The problem is multiple guys have a shot at being a 1c, some guys just have a better shot than others. The value to move up from 5 to 2 can be enormous.

That's because statistically the player quality drop off between 3OA and 4OA and after is greater than the difference between a late 1st rounder and a 4th rounder

chart4.jpg

Last edited:

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Feel free to call me crazy, but would anyone do the following moves?

Rakell + Sprong to Edm for RNH (i'd add something else from us if necessary)

Henrique to Buffalo for Ristolainen (again i'd add something from us if necessary)

I would not add any blue chip prospects or core players but those are two moves I could see helping both teams.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012

Henrique to Buffalo for Ristolainen (again i'd add something from us if necessary)

I would not add any blue chip prospects or core players but those are two moves I could see helping both teams.

Give up 3 of our best offensive players and get a D man and RNH? No thanks. This is a down season, why trade our best potential goal scorer? Jesus, I don’t get the Rakell hate this year.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I would do both. I really rate RNH, he produces about the same as Rakell but is twice as good defensively and the difference is more than Sprong. And the second deal you’re losing a bad contract and gaining a better version of Montour.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Depending on Puljujarvi's price and his injury, I can see a swap for Sprong+ in the offseason, though I'm sure EDM would be very hesitant to deal him in the division.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Depending on Puljujarvi's price and his injury, I can see a swap for Sprong+ in the offseason, though I'm sure EDM would be very hesitant to deal him in the division.
I'd rather keep Sprong tbh. He's the better player and unlike Puljujarvi is actually developing as a player.

Puljujarvi is going to be out of the league by the time he's 23 imo.

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011

Rico for Risto is actually something I was hoping for after the Montour trade. It would solidify the defense going into next season and create a spot for Steel/Lundestrom/Hughes in the lineup. We definitely have to add something though.

No interest in moving Sprong. He's super cheap and is one of the only, if not the only, pure shooter we have in the system. I see lots of potential with him.

Wouldn't hate moving Rakell, but it'd have to be for an overpay due to his great contract. Not sure if RNH is the guy I'd go for.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Rico for Risto is actually something I was hoping for after the Montour trade. It would solidify the defense going into next season and create a spot for Steel/Lundestrom/Hughes in the lineup. We definitely have to add something though.

No interest in moving Sprong. He's super cheap and is one of the only, if not the only, pure shooter we have in the system. I see lots of potential with him.

Wouldn't hate moving Rakell, but it'd have to be for an overpay due to his great contract. Not sure if RNH is the guy I'd go for.

After the Montour trade, it crossed my mind that maybe we'd be sending Rico to Carolina in a deal for a RHD.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Sprong has a ton of value on the power play alone. Not to mention a ton of upside even strength.

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
After the Montour trade, it crossed my mind that maybe we'd be sending Rico to Carolina in a deal for a RHD.

Wouldn't mind one of Pesce or Hamilton, but they'd be expensive. Little interest in Faulk.

Sprong has a ton of value on the power play alone. Not to mention a ton of upside even strength.

Agreed. We sorely need his one-timer on our power play. I'm really hoping we can keep all of Kase, Terry, and Sprong going forward. That'll be a great trio of RWs.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

honestly I was thinking about this the other day as well. Not exactly this, but Riso being dealt here, and getting RNH from Edmonton.

I'd rather keep Sprong though, especially if you're trading Rakell.

Rakell + Henrique + 2nd for RNH + Edmonton's 1st

I actually could see Riso coming here in a different deal.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
honestly I was thinking about this the other day as well. Not exactly this, but Riso being dealt here, and getting RNH from Edmonton.

Pretty interesting if you ask me.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

That proposal is just bad. No chance we would ever entertain making a deal like that. Completely pointless.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
That proposal is just bad. No chance we would ever entertain making a deal like that. Completely pointless.

I’m not saying it’s something I’d do, but if Murray is adamant about changing up the core, this move does that. RNH>Henrique and then you’re moving Rakell for a top 5 pick.

I’d rather not trade Rakell, but I get the feeling he’s on Murray’s radar. If you’re moving him, a top 5 pick is a good return.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I’m not saying it’s something I’d do, but if Murray is adamant about changing up the core, this move does that. RNH>Henrique and then you’re moving Rakell for a top 5 pick.

I’d rather not trade Rakell, but I get the feeling he’s on Murray’s radar. If you’re moving him, a top 5 pick is a good return.
If the pick is top 5 than the Oilers don’t do it so that’s moot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad