2019-20 Prospects Thread

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Podkolzin scored a couple goals in a 4-2 win for his team today.

Here’s hoping he can pick up where he left off.
Podkolzin is a stud....many on these boards see him as a grinding, third line forward in the NHL. But it's more likely he ends up in the Canucks' top six forward group. His ceiling may even be higher than that imo.

It's fortunate that he's in the KHL, which is at least trying to cobble together a season. Other young guys in the NCAA and Major Junior Leagues could end up losing an entire year of development.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
What’s everyone’s thought for Juolevi- does he start next year with the big club, or back with the Comets?

Developmentally probably better to start in Utica playing bigger minutes, and getting called up later on in the season (assuming there is one) sticking permanently

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
What’s everyone’s thought for Juolevi- does he start next year with the big club, or back with the Comets?

Developmentally probably better to start in Utica playing bigger minutes, and getting called up later on in the season (assuming there is one) sticking permanently
Not likely that there’s going to be a season in Utica. So he’s not gonna go down there and play big minutes. I think the clubs are going to be allowed to have extra players skating with the big club.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's a long shot, but the AHL announced yesterday that they tentatively plan to start on December 4th.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
It's a long shot, but the AHL announced yesterday that they tentatively plan to start on December 4th.
Could a team like Utica get by on 50% attendance? Wondering if a half capacity (socially-distaned) arena would be enough for teams not to fold outright.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

The bar for Juolevi has been lowered so far, that even if he could morph into a reliable 6-7 depth d-man at the NHL level, this would be a huge 'win' for the Canucks.

Reactions: Hit the post

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Interesting data here from a guy doing some NCAA analytics work.

It looks like Madden's point totals were a bit inflated when you consider expected goals and assists, and the Canucks may have sold high on him.

The full data set will be coming out later, I'll be really interested in seeing Aidan McDonough's numbers.

Relatedly, looks like the Ducks have an absolute gem in Zegras.

"point totals were a bit inflated"

were they??

looking at this chart it shows he waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above average in xG60 and very slightly below average in xA60

if anything it shows he possibly should have scored more goals than he did

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Could a team like Utica get by on 50% attendance? Wondering if a half capacity (socially-distaned) arena would be enough for teams not to fold outright.
Canucks could afford to 'chip in' to make up for the shortage. Course, I'm not sure the other NHL owners would be so charitable (especially in cases like the Canucks, where they don't 'own' their AHL affiliate).

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
You would think that the AHL teams that are owned by nhl teams might just be bankrolled by the NHL teams to play as its beat for players development.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Such an irresponsible trade for a bubble team that hasn't made the playoffs in 5 years FFS.

Not made better by Toffoli' s dismal effort last night

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. Obviously if we lose series and Toffoli walks (and so he should if hes asking 5+) then yeah, I'll give it to you. Baaad move in hindsight.

At the time, Boeser went down, and Markstrom hadn't been hurt yet. This move was a statement inside the dressing room that management believed in the group moving forward. Easy argue against it, I get it but at the time, in a bubble, it wasn't a bad move.

Unless you're an incredibly intelligent management group and make a concerted effort to never buy on July 1 or make moves in February...but we aren't that (and not many are).

Reactions: Raistlin1022

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. Obviously if we lose series and Toffoli walks (and so he should if hes asking 5+) then yeah, I'll give it to you. Baaad move in hindsight.

At the time, Boeser went down, and Markstrom hadn't been hurt yet. This move was a statement inside the dressing room that management believed in the group moving forward. Easy argue against it, I get it but at the time, in a bubble, it wasn't a bad move.

Unless you're an incredibly intelligent management group and make a concerted effort to never buy on July 1 or make moves in February...but we aren't that (and not many are).

The vast majority of armchair GMs on this site hated the risk-reward of this trade. Way too much was paid for a rental second line winger.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
At the time, Boeser went down, and Markstrom hadn't been hurt yet. This move was a statement inside the dressing room that management believed in the group moving forward.

Therein lies the problem: this wasn't the group to essentially do an all-in move to set yourself up for a playoff run now that you are down to jockeying for what seed you are down the stretch. This was a move to try and just make the playoffs as a wildcard. We gave up two premium pieces including a piece that would be entering our pro system next year on an ELC that we desperately need (huh, wonder why we need cheap contracts all of a sudden?).

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Therein lies the problem: this wasn't the group to essentially do an all-in move to set yourself up for a playoff run now that you are down to jockeying for what seed you are down the stretch. This was a move to try and just make the playoffs as a wildcard. We gave up two premium pieces including a piece that would be entering our pro system next year on an ELC that we desperately need (huh, wonder why we need cheap contracts all of a sudden?).

I'll be curious to see how Madden does on his ELC with LA. As I said before, If Toffoli doesn't re-sign, its hard to not to view it as a bad move in hindsight. I don't think he's going to re-sign or is worth re-signing at the dollars and term he likely wants.

Truth is, if you're doing it right, the players or the dressing room shouldn't matter. Management does their job, coaching staff does their job and player do their job. Though in Hockey and the Old Boys world, that will never happen.

When can we get a new GM again? Off topic a bit..so to veer back on...does Madden play NHL games next season?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I'll be curious to see how Madden does on his ELC with LA. As I said before, If Toffoli doesn't re-sign, its hard to not to view it as a bad move in hindsight. I don't think he's going to re-sign or is worth re-signing at the dollars and term he likely wants.

Truth is, if you're doing it right, the players or the dressing room shouldn't matter. Management does their job, coaching staff does their job and player do their job. Though in Hockey and the Old Boys world, that will never happen.

When can we get a new GM again? Off topic a bit..so to veer back on...does Madden play NHL games next season?

I don't think hindsight is required. The deal had the reek of a desperate gamble the moment it was made. The Canucks were not in a position to be taking such risks, IMO. Right now, the gamble does not appear to be paying off.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I don't think hindsight is required. The deal had the reek of a desperate gamble the moment it was made. The Canucks were not in a position to be taking such risks, IMO. Right now, the gamble does not appear to be paying off.

One bad game...Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. I just think we are still rushing to judgement a bit. What happens if he plays great the rest of the series and we win in 5. He re-signs a somewhat team friendly 4 year deal and in the last year of the deal is a great third line presence in a Cup run.

Now I realize I need to wake up and stop dreaming, I'm just trying to prove a point. Right now, yes, looks bad. Just don't think we can stamp the case closed yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad