2019-20 Prospects Thread

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It would be absolutely stunning if either Lind or Lockwood was legitimately competing for a roster spot next year.

That said, given the Great Cull that is coming this offseason to accommodate Benning’s mismanagement, some cheap young unready players are probably bound to get longer looks than they really should.

This is also a weird year. If the rumours are true of a January training camp, they will basically have an extra half year to prepare themselves.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Benning and the Canucks have 'managed' (sic) the salary cap worse than any team in the NHL. That's a fact. A quick glance of Cap Friendly confirms it.

It's one thing to be 'capped out' because you're forced to pay for guys like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Matthews or Marner. They're top players in the league, and have to get paid.

But when you're in 'cap hell' because of contracts to guys like Eriksson, Beagle, Rousel, Sutter, Myers, Edler etc.....well that's about as bad as it gets. And the two top players they've drafted in Hughes and Pettersson still need new contracts. And the salary cap is basically going to be 'flat' for the next three seasons.

So the Canucks will lose two of Marksrom, Tanev or Tofoli because of management incompetence. No other way to sugar-coat it.
Oh man you guys crack me up. First off, Dubas not only overpaid on every single deal, he brought in an 11 mill forward when it was obvious a crunch was coming and the team needed a high-end D. He would have been better off keeping Kadri and spending the money elsewhere. It also forced him into giving up a 1st for nothing. You say he overpaid for guys like Sutter, Beagle, Rouselle Myers etc.
Maybe look at these deals with a bit of context?
Sutter and Beagle were signed to bridge the gap, we had nothing in the system at the time and throwing kids into a role they aren't ready for is a proven mistake. Rouselle was excellent last year and like the others is not blocking any of the kids. As for Myers I can't even believe people are bitching, have you forgotten what we had last season or taken a look at our prospects? When it comes time to sign the kids, not only do we have a massive amount of cap, it will also be going up. All this talk of losing player X, Z or why is not only premature but is disingenuous since we have 17 million in cap and many possible scenarios that could still playout. But I guess it's easier to pretend like you guys have inside info or are somehow more qualified to run a team since you play GM in a video game.
I also find it hilarious how every single good move Benning has made, you guys dismiss it as him taking credit for someone elses work. I mean Brackett sucked as a scout until Benning took over but as soon as Benning took over all of a sudden Brackett becomes a draft Guru, hmmm.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Oh man you guys crack me up. First off, Dubas not only overpaid on every single deal, he brought in an 11 mill forward when it was obvious a crunch was coming and the team needed a high-end D. He would have been better off keeping Kadri and spending the money elsewhere. It also forced him into giving up a 1st for nothing. You say he overpaid for guys like Sutter, Beagle, Rouselle Myers etc.
Sutter and Beagle were signed to bridge the gap, we had nothing in the system at the time and throwing kids into a role they aren't ready for is a proven mistake. Rouselle was excellent last year and like the others is not blocking any of the kids. As for Myers I can't even believe people are bitching, have you forgotten what we had last season or taken a look at our prospects? When it comes time to sign the kids, not only do we have a massive amount of cap, it will also be going up. All this talk of losing player X, Z or why is not only premature but is disingenuous since we have 17 million in cap and many possible scenarios that could still playout. But I guess it's easier to pretend like you guys have inside info or are somehow more qualified to run a team since you play GM in a video game.
I also find it hilarious how every single good move Benning has made, you guys dismiss it as him taking credit for someone elses work. I mean Brackett sucked as a scout until Benning took over but as soon as Benning took over all of a sudden Brackett becomes a draft Guru, hmmm.

- 4 and 5 year deals are no bridges.
- The guy you mean is called Roussel
- There arent many prospects that can be blocked since Benning dealt loads of picks for an idiotic age gap strategy instead of loading up on picks
- Myers is way overpaid for the role he plays and how he performs
- we dont have a massive amount of cap space, in particular not if you consider who is under contract and who needs to be signed

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
What fantasy world do you live in? The majority of that 17 million coming off the books, is for three players. Tanev, Toffoli And Markstrom. Toffoli is a complete waste of assets if he has not resigned. No savings there. And this team will be much weaker if we do not resign Markstrom and Tanev. Let’s face it we are in Cap Hell. A and the last game shows that we need to re-sign Virtanen.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
What fantasy world do you live in? The majority of that 17 million coming off the books, is for three players. Tanev, Toffoli And Markstrom. Toffoli is a complete waste of assets if he has not resigned. No savings there. And this team will be much weaker if we do not resign Markstrom and Tanev. Let’s face it we are in Cap Hell. A and the last game shows that we need to re-sign Virtanen.

Not just those 3. Stecher, JV, Gaudette, MacEwen all need extensions as well.

You're talking to a guy who honestly, sincerely believes Eriksson is just going to walk away from millions of dollars - in the midst of a freaking pandemic, no less - this offseason too, so...

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
More of the European prospects are getting going.

Arvid Costmar was a -1 in 1:27 TOI for Linkopings in the SHL today.

The excitement is building.

Reactions: jd22

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Hes like the Dutch Dale Weise of the SHL

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Seriously? 1.27 in total ice time and still managed to be on for a goal against? On a positive note, he's a natural center and the Canucks are so thin in the middle, he'll be given every opportunity to earn a contract.

Reactions: xtra and lindgren

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Podkolzin was pointless in 20:27 TOI today (a 3-1 victory).

Also in action today: Karlsson and Utunen.

Jasek's game with Trinec has been postponed. I believe that's the third postponement in a row for Trinec.

I quote the post above simply because it's so hilarious it deserves to be read again.

Tappara played, but Utunen didn't...wonder if he's hurt?

Reactions: lindgren

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Draft is come and gone, added 5 prospects.

Wonder where we'd rank league wide now? Guessing closer to 20 than 10.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
- 4 and 5 year deals are no bridges.
- The guy you mean is called Roussel
- There arent many prospects that can be blocked since Benning dealt loads of picks for an idiotic age gap strategy instead of loading up on picks
- Myers is way overpaid for the role he plays and how he performs
- we dont have a massive amount of cap space, in particular not if you consider who is under contract and who needs to be signed

I am not defending the contracts. They were bad.

The picks argument about them not having a lot of prospects due to the fact they traded so many a way. It is kind of an exaggeration. Yes a lot of picks were traded however they still got 28 picks from 2014 to 2017. The same numbers of picks the league gives you. I am looking at up to 2017 because non 1st round pick will usually take 3 plus years if they end up making it to the nhl. If you need more than league require picks to build up a solid farm system. Then your scouts are not doing that great of a job. I believe that is a the main reason why there not many ready prospects.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Nobody cares if you have the same number of picks if you have more in the 150-200 range than the 1-100 range.

The man has dealt a ton of top 100 picks. The ones that are most likely to turn into NHL players.

2014 2nd - for Vey, lost a chance at Brayden Point
2015 2nd - for Baertschi, lots of good players available, CGY took Rasmus Andersson (their top pairing RH D).
2016 2nd - Along with a recent 1st rounder to get the worst defensman I've seen play in the NHL...they doubled down on it twice.
2015 2nd - To downgrade from Bonino to Sutter, and pay more.

These picks are important, especially when the team had barren cupboards and was the 2nd and 3rd worst team in two of those 3 seasons.

Adding a 7th for MDZ doesn't make up for this.

Reactions: vanuck and timw33

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Nobody cares if you have the same number of picks if you have more in the 150-200 range than the 1-100 range.

The man has dealt a ton of top 100 picks. The ones that are most likely to turn into NHL players.

2014 2nd - for Vey, lost a chance at Brayden Point
2015 2nd - for Baertschi, lots of good players available, CGY took Rasmus Andersson (their top pairing RH D).
2016 2nd - Along with a recent 1st rounder to get the worst defensman I've seen play in the NHL...they doubled down on it twice.
2015 2nd - To downgrade from Bonino to Sutter, and pay more.

These picks are important, especially when the team had barren cupboards and was the 2nd and 3rd worst team in two of those 3 seasons.

Adding a 7th for MDZ doesn't make up for this.
The trades listed go 2014 to 2016. It has improved 2017 on with using picks for quality. Miller, Toffoli and Schmidt. Still never acquires picks but until this year team sucked and players were overpaid which means most players were worthless. Wish team had more picks but as long as draft capital is spent well it is okay. Looking at TB last pick to contribute was 3 rd round pick in 2015, but they had so much value earlier drafts with many picks. Toronto tried to do the same but only really hit on high picks. It is not a fool proof plan plenty of team strike out having 12 picks. To me the first is very important every year, more picks later is gravy.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Draft is come and gone, added 5 prospects.

Wonder where we'd rank league wide now? Guessing closer to 20 than 10.
I can’t imagine a team would drop ten spots due to missing a 1st and 2nd and I doubt you can find an example of this ever happening.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think any acquiring/trading pick discussion has to include that the Canucks were gifted the extra 2nd rounder in 2017 by the league and it wasn't acquired by Benning.

Reactions: carrotshirt

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The trades listed go 2014 to 2016. It has improved 2017 on with using picks for quality. Miller, Toffoli and Schmidt. Still never acquires picks but until this year team sucked and players were overpaid which means most players were worthless. Wish team had more picks but as long as draft capital is spent well it is okay. Looking at TB last pick to contribute was 3 rd round pick in 2015, but they had so much value earlier drafts with many picks. Toronto tried to do the same but only really hit on high picks. It is not a fool proof plan plenty of team strike out having 12 picks. To me the first is very important every year, more picks later is gravy.
Tampa trades picks and prospects. It's not about them playing, it's about using them on good players.

The point of the last post was to poke holes in the "they had 28 picks".....they didn't. 80 kids went off the board before they picked this year.

If they had hoarded picks like we asked, then maybe more Miller's and Schmidt's would be available to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad