2019-20 Prospects Thread

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
One bad game...Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. I just think we are still rushing to judgement a bit. What happens if he plays great the rest of the series and we win in 5. He re-signs a somewhat team friendly 4 year deal and in the last year of the deal is a great third line presence in a Cup run.

Now I realize I need to wake up and stop dreaming, I'm just trying to prove a point. Right now, yes, looks bad. Just don't think we can stamp the case closed yet.

Fair enough.

I still think the Canucks would be better off in the long run if that deal had never been made. The only thing that would change my mind is if the Canucks win the Cup and Toffoli plays a key role in that.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Fair enough.

I still think the Canucks would be better off in the long run if that deal had never been made. The only thing that would change my mind is if the Canucks win the Cup and Toffoli plays a key role in that.

Let's hope for both our sake that we can come back to this post sometime in the next few years and have a laugh as fans of a Cup Champ...:naughty:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'll be curious to see how Madden does on his ELC with LA. As I said before, If Toffoli doesn't re-sign, its hard to not to view it as a bad move in hindsight. I don't think he's going to re-sign or is worth re-signing at the dollars and term he likely wants.

Truth is, if you're doing it right, the players or the dressing room shouldn't matter. Management does their job, coaching staff does their job and player do their job. Though in Hockey and the Old Boys world, that will never happen.

When can we get a new GM again? Off topic a bit..so to veer back on...does Madden play NHL games next season?

The trade is *worse* if they give Toffoli a retirement contract, not better.

Reactions: Peter10 and timw33

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
The trade is *worse* if they give Toffoli a retirement contract, not better.

While you are likely not wrong, there is NO chance Benning and co. are thinking that way.

Just. No. They’re going to do everything in their power to re-sign them.

Kind of sums up the “plan” we currently have. (Do they even have one?)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
While you are likely not wrong, there is NO chance Benning and co. are thinking that way.

Just. No. They’re going to do everything in their power to re-sign them.

Kind of sums up the “plan” we currently have. (Do they even have one?)

Oh, absolutely. These people aren't smart enough to understand the concept of a sunk cost.

Reactions: Fedz

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Oh, absolutely. These people aren't smart enough to understand the concept of a sunk cost.

It really is quite remarkable that he has run this franchise for as long as he has.

Gillis won two Presidents Trophies and while he did leave a mess, he got less leash than Benning has now. Remember the fire Gillis chants?

Benning did his job (some argue Brackett did it for him) by drafting top talent from the roster. Now that we need to manage the cap, add the final pieces and sign our studs..someone (anyone?) else has to be better suited for the job.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It really is quite remarkable that he has run this franchise for as long as he has.

Gillis won two Presidents Trophies and while he did leave a mess, he got less leash than Benning has now. Remember the fire Gillis chants?

Benning did his job (some argue Brackett did it for him) by drafting top talent from the roster. Now that we need to manage the cap, add the final pieces and sign our studs..someone (anyone?) else has to be better suited for the job.

The problem is that the time for managing the cap etc should have started 2 years ago, well at all times, but definitely two years ago they needed to be proactive in that regard. BUt that's a management discussion...

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
The problem is that the time for managing the cap etc should have started 2 years ago, well at all times, but definitely two years ago they needed to be proactive in that regard. BUt that's a management discussion...

When they fired Gilman for no reason at all, the cap crunch was on.

Reactions: Szechwan

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
we definitely reek of being a middling franchise even with our high end prospects graduating the last few years. After the asset procurement phase, its time we bring in another more suitable candidate for the actual running of the franchise, someone that knows how to delegate different tasks to experts in their fields..

With Brackett's departure, hopefully it either exposes Benning as riding on his coattails, or elevates Benning to actually earn his reputation as a top scouting GM when he has to draft in the teens and uncover pieces like Boeser vs gimmes like Hughes.

Reactions: Szechwan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning and the Canucks have 'managed' (sic) the salary cap worse than any team in the NHL. That's a fact. A quick glance of Cap Friendly confirms it.

It's one thing to be 'capped out' because you're forced to pay for guys like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Matthews or Marner. They're top players in the league, and have to get paid.

But when you're in 'cap hell' because of contracts to guys like Eriksson, Beagle, Rousel, Sutter, Myers, Edler etc.....well that's about as bad as it gets. And the two top players they've drafted in Hughes and Pettersson still need new contracts. And the salary cap is basically going to be 'flat' for the next three seasons.

So the Canucks will lose two of Marksrom, Tanev or Tofoli because of management incompetence. No other way to sugar-coat it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Benning and the Canucks have 'managed' (sic) the salary cap worse than any team in the NHL. That's a fact. A quick glance of Cap Friendly confirms it.

It's one thing to be 'capped out' because you're forced to pay for guys like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Matthews or Marner. They're top players in the league, and have to get paid.

But when you're in 'cap hell' because of contracts to guys like Eriksson, Beagle, Rousel, Sutter, Myers, Edler etc.....well that's about as bad as it gets. And the two top players they've drafted in Hughes and Pettersson still need new contracts. And the salary cap is basically going to be 'flat' for the next three seasons.

So the Canucks will lose two of Marksrom, Tanev or Tofoli because of management incompetence. No other way to sugar-coat it.

41% of the 20-21 cap is currently committed to negative value garbage contracts, on a team that has never won anything. It's absolutely astonishing, and is the worst mismanagement in the history of the cap era.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. Obviously if we lose series and Toffoli walks (and so he should if hes asking 5+) then yeah, I'll give it to you. Baaad move in hindsight.

It was a horrible move in foresight, too.

At the time, Boeser went down, and Markstrom hadn't been hurt yet. This move was a statement inside the dressing room that management believed in the group moving forward. Easy argue against it, I get it but at the time, in a bubble, it wasn't a bad move.

It was a statement that the GM was desperate to make the playoffs after several years of missing, perhaps afraid that even with his extension it would cost him his job.

It is like going all-in before the flop holding 94 offsuit playing holdem. Nice to have confidence, but you're almost certain to end up broke.

The Canucks were not a genuine cup contender. Paying a good prospect and a 2nd round pick to get a rental for a bubble team to try to make the playoffs is just awful. There is no way to credibly support it.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
we definitely reek of being a middling franchise even with our high end prospects graduating the last few years. After the asset procurement phase, its time we bring in another more suitable candidate for the actual running of the franchise, someone that knows how to delegate different tasks to experts in their fields..

With Brackett's departure, hopefully it either exposes Benning as riding on his coattails, or elevates Benning to actually earn his reputation as a top scouting GM when he has to draft in the teens and uncover pieces like Boeser vs gimmes like Hughes.

I just don’t see Benning as being this top scouting GM. I mean did he ever actually go to USHL games to see Boeser play before he was drafted? Or Rathbone in his prep league? Even if he actually did see them once,he would have been alerted by Brackett and his scouts to watch for them.

The players he would have had longer looks at are the WHL players like Virtanen and Lind and they’re not exactly looking like home run hits ATM.The narrative that Benning is some sort of scouting savant should have been laid to rest after the Mackenzie Stewart pick but somehow,six years later,it still persists.

An NHL GM only has so many hours in a day...he’s not going to be out there trying to find diamonds in the rough across multiple leagues on different continents,that’s the scouts job.If your scouts are mediocre,no GM is going to save the day for them.

Reactions: vanuck

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I just don’t see Benning as being this top scouting GM. I mean did he ever actually go to USHL games to see Boeser play before he was drafted? Or Rathbone in his prep league? Even if he actually did see them once,he would have been alerted by Brackett and his scouts to watch for them.

The players he would have had longer looks at are the WHL players like Virtanen and Lind and they’re not exactly looking like home run hits ATM.The narrative that Benning is some sort of scouting savant should have been laid to rest after the Mackenzie Stewart pick but somehow,six years later,it still persists.

An NHL GM only has so many hours in a day...he’s not going to be out there trying to find diamonds in the rough across multiple leagues on different continents,that’s the scouts job.If your scouts are mediocre,no GM is going to save the day for them.
I dont usually defend Benning, but he is on more than one occasion known to have been scouting Boeser while being interviewed by TSN1040 radio once in person mid season in Waterloo and once overheard on the radio watching a Waterloo blackhawks game.

I dont think its bad to give him props in uncovering some gems esp in the USHL, its either him or Judd or some weird alchemy between them. Whatever it was on the scouting front, we will definitely know what we have now with the franchise's foolish move to let Brackett go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Disappointed EP40

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's just too bad Benning couldn't focus on scouting, where he obviously has some ability, and leave the rest of the hockey ops to a highly qualified 'assistant GM'.

And that person would so the heavy lifting on trades and UFA signings. Benning would continue to have an oversight role, but the assistant GM would be the 'go-to' guy.

As a fan, you'd have more confidence. Every time the Canucks are linked to a trade now, you get that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Well, the latest story is that he may not have watched all this prospects but rather implemented a powerful scouting system (that for whatever reason is working only for one region).

Reactions: timw33

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Well, the latest story is that he may not have watched all this prospects but rather implemented a powerful scouting system (that for whatever reason is working only for one region).
He created a streamlined terminology so everyone was on the same page. The terms are as follows:

Rip da puck
Walk da line
Rattle da boards
Wow he fast
Uh ya know
Lidstrom
Bergeron

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Does Lockwood secure a bottom 6 role next season or start the year in Utica? Who is closer to making the roster, Lockwood or Lind? I think the main consideration is if the Canucks can punt out some bad contracts taking up space in the bottom 6 (Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson), which might free up a spot for him or Lind.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Does Lockwood secure a bottom 6 role next season or start the year in Utica? Who is closer to making the roster, Lockwood or Lind? I think the main consideration is if the Canucks can punt out some bad contracts taking up space in the bottom 6 (Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson), which might free up a spot for him or Lind.
They’re gaily similar players. Each has skill, and plays with an edge. Lind is likely more prickly, but Lockwood is no shrinking violet. I think you’re correct and one of the two makes the big club. Might even see one up, and then he goes down while the other guy gets some games.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Lockwood and Lind are not similar players. Lockwood is clearly faster and more solidly built, more of a hitter. Lind has noticeably more skill and vision with the puck on his stick.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Lockwood and Lind are not similar players. Lockwood is clearly faster and more solidly built, more of a hitter. Lind has noticeably more skill and vision with the puck on his stick.

I think the comparison comes from the fact that both are going to need to be two-way wingers as they will both be competing for a bottom 6 roster spot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It would be absolutely stunning if either Lind or Lockwood was legitimately competing for a roster spot next year.

That said, given the Great Cull that is coming this offseason to accommodate Benning’s mismanagement, some cheap young unready players are probably bound to get longer looks than they really should.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It would be absolutely stunning if either Lind or Lockwood was legitimately competing for a roster spot next year.

That said, given the Great Cull that is coming this offseason to accommodate Benning’s mismanagement, some cheap young unready players are probably bound to get longer looks than they really should.
Or the prospects are used as sweetener to dump Benning’s plethora of bad contracts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad