2019-20 Prospects Thread

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
You might be right.....that none of those picks would have moved the needle much, if the Canucks had retained them.

My only complaint, is that the guys they acquired didn't move the needle either. In fact the Canucks were still one of the worst teams in the NHL. The team could have accomplished that without trading any picks for guys, who in a lot of cases, aren't even in the league anymore.

The MO under Benning is short term solutions that don't work. Overpay meat and potato guys, spend to the cap and "we are going to be a tougher team to play against' .... where would be right now if we hadn't struck gold in pettersson and hughes?

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Apparently the team has told Petrus Palmu that he "isn't welcome" in Utica for the upcoming season?

How petty is this organization? Like actually? And why?

Dhaliwal hyperbole.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently the team has told Petrus Palmu that he "isn't welcome" in Utica for the upcoming season?

How petty is this organization? Like actually? And why?
Not really an NHL prospect from the day he was drafted....I put him in the same category as Mackenze Stewart....you wonder what the scouts could possibly have been thinking.

That said, did Palmy actually want to come back to Utica anyway?....seems to me he's better off in the Finnish Liga anyway.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Not really an NHL prospect from the day he was drafted....I put him in the same category as Mackenze Stewart....you wonder what the scouts could possibly have been thinking.

That said, did Palmy actually want to come back to Utica anyway?....seems to me he's better off in the Finnish Liga anyway.
Other teams are clamoring to sign 22 year olds who produce like he does in Liiga; even if just to be depth minor leaguers. Why are we bouncing him at the gate?

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017

Even if you see him as an extreme long shot why would you ruin the relationship with him? How could that possibly be beneficial?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Even if you see him as an extreme long shot why would you ruin the relationship with him? How could that possibly be beneficial?
When they announced Trent Cull would be back with the Utica Comets for another season, that was probably 'it' for Palmu. The two were at loggerheads over ice-time for the entire time he was there.

Reactions: Tonystretcher

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
When they announced Trent Cull would be back with the Utica Comets for another season, that was probably 'it' for Palmu. The two were at loggerheads over ice-time for the entire time he was there.

The Comets didn't send him home. He chose to quit and go home. What did he expect when he was unable to simply keep up with the play? He was down on the ice more than he was on his skates. So, he got scratched.

When the season began he was in a group of players who were being jockeyed around in and and out of the lineup. The group was composed of:
Lind
Palmu
Gadjovich
Jasek
Carcone

Palmu played :
Game 2
Game 4
Game 7
Game 9
Game 10
Game 11
Game 13
Game 14
Game 15
Game 16
Game 17
Game 19
Game 20
Game 26

He was scratched Games 27 and 28. The last one being December 12/2018.The Comets played again on December 14th. Palmu was gone.
He had played in 14 of the Comets first 26 games. I think he got a false sense of security when he played games 13 -17 and then 19 & 20. Then he sat out the next 5 and I believe he felt he was being skronked. In reality he got that stretch of games due to a large number of injured forwards. The injured returned and he found himself scratched once again.

Truth was he was actually being rotated with the bunch for the first 9 games or so. At the end of his consecutive game stretch he proved to be the Comets last man up front. The rest passed him by. When he left Gadjovich became the bottom forward.

During that time LIND was scratched Games 2 & 4. He then became a regular starting game 5 until injured in Game 8 (10/20) and didn't return until Game 22 (11/28) and was a healthy scratch for games 26 & 27. He returned for game 28 and played pretty much every single game until the end of the season with the exception illness for games 55 & 56 and a 2nd injury for games 68 - 73. Healthy scratch 4 times, 2 of the first 4 and only 2 more times after game 4.

Carcone sat Games 1-3 and Game 7 after which he was a regular. Healthy scratch 4 times

Gadjovich was scratched Games 1 & 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 18, 22 - 25, 27 & 28, then he got hurt and missed Games 33-35, back to healthy scratch for game 37 - 39, 46 & 47, 49 & 50, Injured in Game 53 so missed 54- 56, injured again and missed 64-70. Healthy scratch 20 times.

Jasek was scratched Games 1-3, 7, 24 & 25, 38 & 39, ill Game 42-45, 51. Healthy scratch 10 times.

You will note that Jasek, Gadjovich, and even Lind were scratched in that same stretch of games.

Petrus didn't want to have to put in the work that was needed to make him a dependable forward (if it was even possible) and couldn't accept that until he did, he was going to be scratched more than he was going to play.

Reactions: Sneezy

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Other teams are clamoring to sign 22 year olds who produce like he does in Liiga; even if just to be depth minor leaguers. Why are we bouncing him at the gate?

Palmu sucks and has zero organizational value, and they're done with him. They're just waiting for his contract to run out.

This happens all the time - Yan-Pavel Laplante wasn't invited to camp before the last year of his contract, either.

Reactions: Canadian Club

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Ha! Ha! Ha! He never had a season!!!!!
He played a total of 5 games in '17-18 and was hurt the rest of the season.
He sat out the whole '18-19 season with an injury. Never did learn if that was the same injury.
Thus, not offered a contract in '19-20 is nothing but acceptable.

Palmu played in his 1st ELC season and proved to be AHL incapable. Got more games than he should have due to team injuries and then quit and went home to Finland when he realized and was probably told his game was not ready for North America. Might have been targeted for a demotion to Kalamazoo which he should have welcomed to prove Cull wrong. Nope, he booked.

Then he chose not to return in '19-20. Played in Finland again.

'20-21? Stay there. There's better and bigger fish in the sea.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Just listening to Reid Boucher on 1040. He says Kole Lind is a very chippy player, who gets under the skin of opponents. Lind might just be one heck of s good player for us. Skill, size, skating, smarts, scoring, and a pain in the arse to play against.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just listening to Reid Boucher on 1040. He says Kole Lind is a very chippy player, who gets under the skin of opponents. Lind might just be one heck of s good player for us. Skill, size, skating, smarts, scoring, and a pain in the arse to play against.
Hopefully an Antoine Roussel type, but with hands.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
The MO under Benning is short term solutions that don't work. Overpay meat and potato guys, spend to the cap and "we are going to be a tougher team to play against' .... where would be right now if we hadn't struck gold in pettersson and hughes?

I think the goal was to fill out the bottom 6 with tougher, bigger players who could take on the tough minutes and play physical. This would allow our young players to play their game.

Its not a bad idea, overall, but it was poorly rolled out. It’s almost as if they didn’t expect our young guys to develop this quickly and had thought they had time to get some of these guys off the books.

I remember a couple of offseasons back Benning’s camp even admitted that they’d be willing to overtop drastically for high end free agents on short term contacts. If I recall, Carlson was a big target. That would further support that they had their time lines all wrong.

We can still recover from it, but a flat cap sure doesn’t help. I feel we now need to get creative with buy outs, pay picks to unload a couple of contracts, trade players and retain salary, and/or sign Hughes and Pettersson to bridge deals to make it work.

Reactions: Sneezy

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I think the goal was to fill out the bottom 6 with tougher, bigger players who could take on the tough minutes and play physical. This would allow our young players to play their game.

Its not a bad idea, overall, but it was poorly rolled out. It’s almost as if they didn’t expect our young guys to develop this quickly and had thought they had time to get some of these guys off the books.

I remember a couple of offseasons back Benning’s camp even admitted that they’d be willing to overtop drastically for high end free agents on short term contacts. If I recall, Carlson was a big target. That would further support that they had their time lines all wrong.

We can still recover from it, but a flat cap sure doesn’t help. I feel we now need to get creative with buy outs, pay picks to unload a couple of contracts, trade players and retain salary, and/or sign Hughes and Pettersson to bridge deals to make it work.

sadly, benning's history does not fit any of that. he is fighting to keep his job at any cost, and that cost is not good.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
sadly, benning's history does not fit any of that. he is fighting to keep his job at any cost, and that cost is not good.

He is not fighting to keep his job, Aquas love him.

What history, you mean a history when he has to listen to his boss and try and make the playoffs?

or the history that was already explained to you about the younger guys becoming starts a heck of a lot quicker than expected?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He is not fighting to keep his job, Aquas love him.

If Benning missed the playoffs this season, he'd have been fired. Not just my opinion, lots of reporters were saying the same thing (not that it even needs a source; it's common sense that, based on Benning's record here he would be fired eventually if the team continued to struggle).

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
If Benning missed the playoffs this season, he'd have been fired. Not just my opinion, lots of reporters were saying the same thing (not that it even needs a source; it's common sense that, based on Benning's record here he would be fired eventually if the team continued to struggle).

Not that I'm saying he doesn't deserve to be fired, but FAQ signed Benning to a 3 year extension last August. It would be Sabres-level incompetence to do that and then turn around and fire him.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Not that I'm saying he doesn't deserve to be fired, but FAQ signed Benning to a 3 year extension last August. It would be Sabres-level incompetence to do that and then turn around and fire him.

I mean, maybe he survives until next season and then if the team struggles again, he's fired. But five consecutive terrible seasons would get almost any GM fired, especially when you consider the Canucks have picked in the top 10 for 5 out of the 6 seasons leading up to this season.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

I think the last 2 years of that extension are option years.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Aquilini fired Gillis after about a year into a 4 year extension. He has a history of making decisions like that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's the general consensus on Rafferty.....will he crack the Canucks blueline next fall, or is back to Utica for more seasoning?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad