2019-20 Prospects Thread

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking like Utica might be down a few scoring forwards, once the UFA and RFA period has come and gone.....might be the ideal time to sign Hoglander and get him to N.A.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
Looking like Utica might be down a few scoring forwards, once the UFA and RFA period has come and gone.....might be the ideal time to sign Hoglander and get him to N.A.

Utica's history with European players is tragic -- I wouldn't sign him just to stick him there... not at all.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Utica's history with European players is tragic -- I wouldn't sign him just to stick him there... not at all.

and if he does sign, like most euros make sure you have a no utica clause so you can go back to SEL and make decent money. so sign, sure, but make damn sure they don't want you in Utica for the season. Go back and play at home.

Reactions: THRILLHOIAF

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
An analysis of Canucks prospects! Keep in mind that Podkolzin simply isn't rank in this thread since there is no access to the data for the KHL used in these charts.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
An analysis of Canucks prospects! Keep in mind that Podkolzin simply isn't rank in this thread since there is no access to the data for the KHL used in these charts.

think the rankings are right. Pod is # 1, hard to accurately fit DiPietro in a spot but he is up there, and Juolevi Rathbone Woo are all about the same. Juolevi has the best overall skill set, though Rathbone is close and advancing faster, and Woo is Kevin Bieska type ... who knows where he will end up.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It has it's own thread, but prospect Nils Hoglander has been signed to an ELC. Expect his 1st NA team to be the Utica Comets.

He will turn 20 on Decemeber 20th. He will be the same age as draftees coming out of Canadian jrs. become eligible to enter the AHL since the deadline date to turn 20 for them is December 31.

Hoglander did not need to meet this requirement since he comes over from Europe and the NHL/CHL rule does not apply. Just stating that he is no different from any CHL player based upon age. Many AHL players start out at 19 and turn 20. They also can be sent back to Jrs for an overage season. He could also play in Sweden for another season. Regardless I still stand on my opinion his career will start in the AHL.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It has it's own thread, but prospect Nils Hoglander has been signed to an ELC. Expect his 1st NA team to be the Utica Comets.

He will turn 20 on Decemeber 20th. He will be the same age as draftees coming out of Canadian jrs. become eligible to enter the AHL since the deadline date to turn 20 for them is December 31.

Hoglander did not need to meet this requirement since he comes over from Europe and the NHL/CHL rule does not apply. Just stating that he is no different from any CHL player based upon age. Many AHL players start out at 19 and turn 20. They also can be sent back to Jrs for an overage season. He could also play in Sweden for another season. Regardless I still stand on my opinion his career will start in the AHL.
Likely Hogs starts in the AHL, but our cap issues might play a role where he plays too, right? We might need his ELC contract on the big club to get under the cap. If he’s close to NHL ready, our cap issues might play a part in where he plays.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Likely Hogs starts in the AHL, but our cap issues might play a role where he plays too, right? We might need his ELC contract on the big club to get under the cap. If he’s close to NHL ready, our cap issues might play a part in where he plays.

You could be correct, but this kid will definitely not be ready for the NHL at this time nor a year from now. When you look at the SHL numbers that young Swedes put up before coming to North America, he isn't in the ball park for those that made it into the NHL right away. If Vancouver does it to deal with the cap, it would expose Benning idiocy at the highest level.

I say this without caring if we see him in Utica either way. His numbers in comparison to his previous peers reveal a kid that needs lots of work before being a serious NHL prospect. Thus, I said it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him return to Sweden for the 20-21 season. That's of course assuming there will be a 20-21 season.

Reactions: MS

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
You could be correct, but this kid will definitely not be ready for the NHL at this time nor a year from now. When you look at the SHL numbers that young Swedes put up before coming to North America, he isn't in the ball park for those that made it into the NHL right away. If Vancouver does it to deal with the cap, it would expose Benning idiocy at the highest level.

I say this without caring if we see him in Utica either way. His numbers in comparison to his previous peers reveal a kid that needs lots of work before being a serious NHL prospect. Size alone says he needs more time to grow. Thus, I said it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him return to Sweden for the 20-21 season. That's of course assuming there will be a 20-21 season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
think the rankings are right. Pod is # 1, hard to accurately fit DiPietro in a spot but he is up there, and Juolevi Rathbone Woo are all about the same. Juolevi has the best overall skill set, though Rathbone is close and advancing faster, and Woo is Kevin Bieska type ... who knows where he will end up.

In terms of playing style, Woo is a lot closer to Aaron Rome than Kevin Bieksa.

He's a steady, boring defensive defender who can occasionally step up and throw a big hit. He's absolutely nothing like the dangling risk-taker Bieksa, who actually wasn't all that physical when the clock was ticking but then was a superstar in fights/scrums.

I wish Woo had a name more like 'Cole Smith' that more accurately fit his game than the awesome sounding 'Jett Woo'.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I say this without caring if we see him in Utica either way. His numbers in comparison to his previous peers reveal a kid that needs lots of work before being a serious NHL prospect. Thus, I said it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him return to Sweden for the 20-21 season. That's of course assuming there will be a 20-21 season.
I think Hogs is more than just a numbers player. He’s slready a really strong kid, who plays 200 feet. He’s hard on and off pucks, and has a meanness in his game. IMO his game is actually better suited for our rink and style of play than Sweden. Plus, Hogs is a Bracket pick. Benning has no clue.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think Hogs is more than just a numbers player. He’s slready a really strong kid, who plays 200 feet. He’s hard on and off pucks, and has a meanness in his game. IMO his game is actually better suited for our rink and style of play than Sweden. Plus, Hogs is a Bracket pick. Benning has no clue.

I read all the things you typed in from the reports on his play. We always read those things in a player's description. I'll stand by my opinion and time will determine my accuracy of thinking.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Justin Bailey had a nice season with the Comets....is this just an example of a player catching lightning in a bottle for a season, or has he taken a step forward in his game.....are the Canucks likely to qualify him, and if so, any chance he becomes a depth forward for the Canucks down the line?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Take it for what it’s worth but the Hockey News polled 9 NHL scouts on a 2019 redraft today:
“Vancouver, Washington and Tampa Bay are teams that made multiple bargain selections in the 2019 NHL draft according to scouts who evaluated prospects for The Hockey News Future Watch 2020 issue.”
“Vancouver’s selection of Vasily Podkolzin at 10th was solid. He’d go No. 9 today. But the Canucks essentially got another mid-first-rounder in Nils Hoglander midway through the second round. He’d go No. 18 today.”

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
*compares Woo's junior stats to Rome's junior stats*

Well I'll be damned!
Yep....speculation is that Woo will be heading back to the Calgary Hitmen for another season, even if the the AHL resumes. Not a promising sign....but would be entirely consistent with the Canucks track record in drafting d-men from the Dub.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yep....speculation is that Woo will be heading back to the Calgary Hitmen for another season, even if the the AHL resumes. Not a promising sign....but would be entirely consistent with the Canucks track record in drafting d-men from the Dub.

Where did you hear this?

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
they have too many d tied up.. unless theres a trade him being there helps the team out but hurts his development..

for the 5-6-7 spots you got: stecher, benn, rathbone, tryamkin, rafferty, juolevi.(assuming tanev is re-signed)

for ahl: brisebois, , eliot, teves and one of chatfield(rfa), sautner(prob re-signed or atleast a vet ahl guy signed)

lets say you end up with an ahl training camp of brisebois, chatfield sautner, juolevi, rafferty, rathbone, eliot, teves.

no room for woo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
they have too many d tied up.. unless theres a trade him being there helps the team out but hurts his development..

for the 5-6-7 spots you got: stecher, benn, rathbone, tryamkin, rafferty, juolevi.(assuming tanev is re-signed)

for ahl: brisebois, , eliot, teves and one of chatfield(rfa), sautner(prob re-signed or atleast a vet ahl guy signed)

lets say you end up with an ahl training camp of brisebois, chatfield sautner, juolevi, rafferty, rathbone, eliot, teves.

no room for woo

If Woo can't play ahead of the likes of Eliot and Teves next year, he should never have been signed to an NHL contract. Sautner and Chatfield are both out of contract, and one or both will probably not be back. Rafferty is going to be in the NHL - the team is telegraphing it already.

Reactions: wetcoast

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
If Woo can't play ahead of the likes of Eliot and Teves next year, he should never have been signed to an NHL contract. Sautner and Chatfield are both out of contract, and one or both will probably not be back. Rafferty is going to be in the NHL - the team is telegraphing it already.
i assume they would both be echl. that still leaves woo as a 7th d.. waste

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess it's still early in his career so there's still time, but even when some of the Canuck faithful were pumping Woo's tires just after he was drafted, an abundance of caution was probably wise.

The Canucks couldn't find a decent d-man out of the Dub if their spoon collided with one in their soup. Their record over 50 years of drafting has been truly awful.

So just a couple of years after he was drafted, he's fallen way down the depth chart. There might even be any room in Utica for him next season, so it's likely back to WHL as an over-ager.....not an encouraging development.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I guess it's still early in his career so there's still time, but even when some of the Canuck faithful were pumping Woo's tires just after he was drafted, an abundance of caution was probably wise.

The Canucks couldn't find a decent d-man out of the Dub if their spoon collided with one in their soup. Their record over 50 years of drafting has been truly awful.

So just a couple of years after he was drafted, he's fallen way down the depth chart. There might even be any room in Utica for him next season, so it's likely back to WHL as an over-ager.....not an encouraging development.
Starting the year healthy would be a good start as he has had injuries that set him back a bit. Though that may a big concern as well. Hope Lind takes other step this year He was on the trash heap a year ago, now he looks like a viable project. Woo is a year and a half younger so still some hope.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Justin Bailey had a nice season with the Comets....is this just an example of a player catching lightning in a bottle for a season, or has he taken a step forward in his game.....are the Canucks likely to qualify him, and if so, any chance he becomes a depth forward for the Canucks down the line?

Was just looking at an article on old Buffalo Sabres "prospects and then looked at what Justin Bailey did this season — his best numbers as a pro since his first season with Rochester, when he was eventually recalled for some games with the Sabres.

I had the same questions — was this just a blip or is there a chance he did enough to earn a new contract with the Coyotes (or with another franchise).

Looking at the Utica lineup, with the exception of Kole Lind and Olli Juolevi, the bulk of their leading scorers (including Bailey) were fourth or fifth year pros who had had shots elsewhere but had yet to stick.

Goldobin, too, is an intriguing case.

Any thoughts from those who watched the Comets closely this year is much appreciated.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just as an interesting aside, Justin Bailey is actually three days younger than Brogan Rafferty, who was 'rookie everything' for the Comets this year and an AHL all-star.

But that's a reflection of the radically different paths that players follow when they play and get drafted out of Major Junior, versus college. Players almost exactly the same age, but in totally different career spaces.

While Rafferty is the next big hope on the Canucks blueline; Bailey is considered a long-shot after drifting through two other NHL organizations, before being signed to a one-year 'show-me' deal with the Canucks. Yet you could argue that in many ways, his year in Utica was just as impressive as Rafferty's.

And you really have to keep your fingers crossed for a guy like Bailey. Instead of a scholarship and a college degree, he developed his game through the 'school of hard-knocks' as a journeyman pro.

Reactions: lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad