2019-20 Prospects Thread

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well when Karlsson signs and is likely dispatched the Utica, he can't possibly do any worse than Dahlen, the guy he was traded for. He apparently feuded with the coaching staff; was ineffective when he was in the lineup; and eventually demanded a trade.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Top 100 NHL-affiliated prospects according to Hockey News. Notable Canucks prospects on the list.

9.) V.Podkolzin

27.) N.Hoglander

68.) T.Madden :(

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Top 100 NHL-affiliated prospects according to Hockey News. Notable Canucks prospects on the list.

9.) V.Podkolzin

27.) N.Hoglander

yet I get ripped when I suggest Hoglander (admittedly unlikely) and Podkolzin could have us in the mix for 5 calder candidates in 5 years. Maybe Rathbone?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

9.) V.Podkolzin

27.) N.Hoglander

Yep, when you look at that list, you realize that if the Canucks 'had' to part with a prospect in the Tofoli deal, than Madden was the logical one. Would have been a real bummer had they lost Hoglander or Rathbone.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Tryamkin returns, then that 2014 draft is looking pretty solid. Virtanen and McCann in the first round; Demko in the second; and Tryamkin in the third round. And Gustav Forsling in the fifth round, who spent some time with Chicago and is now in the Carolina organization.

Any time you can net five NHL players out of one draft, it has to be considered a big success.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

when do we hold his rights until?

if I was his agent I’d seriously consider telling him not to sign right away unless he’s strapped for cash and the canucks offer a big signing bonus cause I could foresee a situation where the entire 2020-2021 season is wiped out as well. He could be a free agent completely by the time the nhl actually returns

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
when do we hold his rights until?

if I was his agent I’d seriously consider telling him not to sign right away unless he’s strapped for cash and the canucks offer a big signing bonus cause I could foresee a situation where the entire 2020-2021 season is wiped out as well. He could be a free agent completely by the time the nhl actually returns

2022 he's a free agent.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

9.) V.Podkolzin

27.) N.Hoglander

Have an uneasy feeling that Madden will down as the one who got away, particularly if the Kings keep him as his natural position of center.

But what are you going to do? With Boeser on the shelf, Canucks needed another top-six winger for the stretch drive. And those players will never come cheap at the trade deadline.

But if Tofoli bolts in free agency, then it'll be tough pill to swallow.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Have an uneasy feeling that Madden will down as the one who got away, particularly if the Kings keep him as his natural position of center.

But what are you going to do?
With Boeser on the shelf, Canucks needed another top-six winger for the stretch drive. And those players will never come cheap at the trade deadline.

Save the assets to go after a defenceman if one becomes available, instead of making a panic trade.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

With Boeser on the shelf, Canucks needed another top-six winger for the stretch drive. And those players will never come cheap at the trade deadline.

Save the assets to go after a defenceman if one becomes available, instead of making a panic trade.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Save the assets to go after a defenceman if one becomes available, instead of making a panic trade for a rental.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Save the assets to go after a defenceman if one becomes available, instead of making a panic trade for a rental.

Too late, and we will not need a D man. We have Woo and Juolevi in the system, Brisebois and Rafferty able to play back up, and Rathbone possibly signing this summer. If we can find the money, Tryamkin .... Chatfield and Utanen as well.

Tanev? Edler
Stecher Myers
Hughes Fantenberg?
Benn?

Shouldn't have a problem filling in the question marks.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Too late, and we will not need a D man. We have Woo and Juolevi in the system, Brisebois and Rafferty able to play back up, and Rathbone possibly signing this summer. If we can find the money, Tryamkin .... Chatfield and Utanen as well.

Tanev? Edler
Stecher Myers
Hughes Fantenberg?
Benn?

Shouldn't have a problem filling in the question marks.

I’m pretty sure that replacing Tanev with Juolevi and calling it good on a team that routinely surrenders upwards of a million shots is maybe a bit of a problem.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I’m pretty sure that replacing Tanev with Juolevi and calling it good on a team that routinely surrenders upwards of a million shots is maybe a bit of a problem.
rephrase

we have 4 or 5 NHL D men on the roster. Assuming we don't re-sign any of them. I listed 7 who all are legitimate prospects who could probably step in and eat up some minutes. We have no money to sign a FA or trade for anyone with a decent salary. If we could trade LE and a prospect for a journeyman D man, fine. LE doesn't hav much remaining on his contract maybe someone would take him. Throw in any prospect not named Podkolzin or Hoglander, I am fine with it.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
They need to rebuild the D like they rebuilt the top six of the forward group (still a work in progress). In three years the most realistic scenario is that Edler, Tanev, Benn will not be here and Myers will be a bottom pairing at best who sees regular time in the press box. That will leave Hughes (#1/2) and Stecher (#5/6) as the the only roster D-men still here. They will legitimately need to find 5 NHL defensemen. I am all for seeing who can play out of Juloevi, Tryamkin, Woo, Rafferty, and Rathbone (IMO Brisebois is an AHL level player who can slot in for injuries). Of those 5, it's reasonable to project that 2, at most 3, will have a long term NHL impact - it's just a numbers game.

I say throw them all in next year (Woo after some time in the minors) and see who can play. Given the state of the D, there really isn't time to wait and no money to acquire free agents. And as far as trades go, the only players that would return a legitimate NHL defenseman would cost players we don't want to give up. Throw the 5 prospects in there and two things will happen: 1. we'll see if they can play, 2. the team will struggle and get a top 10 draft pick. I'm not concerned at all about stunting development of Juol;evi, Tryamkin, or Rafferty. They can either play now or they can't. Woo and Rathbone should be eased in a little.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the season is flushed, the best case scenario is a wide open, lottery ball draft with every team eligible. And if it's anything like the system they used coming out of the '05 lockout, then the lottery balls will be weighted towards teams that haven't made the playoffs in the past three or four seasons.

So in that scenario, it would be 'advantage Canucks'. Because even though they were clinging to a playoff spot this year, they'be been one of the worst teams in the NHL for the past four seasons.

So probably nothing they can do about the Tofoli trade.....but getting back a high first rounder and being able to defer the transfer of their first rounder to New Jersey to next season, would be a best case result.

But eventually they'll to have to pay the piper....a second rounder gone this year and their first rounder next year.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
They need to rebuild the D like they rebuilt the top six of the forward group (still a work in progress). In three years the most realistic scenario is that Edler, Tanev, Benn will not be here and Myers will be a bottom pairing at best who sees regular time in the press box. That will leave Hughes (#1/2) and Stecher (#5/6) as the the only roster D-men still here. They will legitimately need to find 5 NHL defensemen. I am all for seeing who can play out of Juloevi, Tryamkin, Woo, Rafferty, and Rathbone (IMO Brisebois is an AHL level player who can slot in for injuries). Of those 5, it's reasonable to project that 2, at most 3, will have a long term NHL impact - it's just a numbers game.

I say throw them all in next year (Woo after some time in the minors) and see who can play. Given the state of the D, there really isn't time to wait and no money to acquire free agents. And as far as trades go, the only players that would return a legitimate NHL defenseman would cost players we don't want to give up. Throw the 5 prospects in there and two things will happen: 1. we'll see if they can play, 2. the team will struggle and get a top 10 draft pick. I'm not concerned at all about stunting development of Juol;evi, Tryamkin, or Rafferty. They can either play now or they can't. Woo and Rathbone should be eased in a little.

Agreed. This is one of the rare times where Benning's age gap experiment would actually make sense. If we could pry out one of Carolina's young defencemen (Fleury/Bean) without breaking the bank, we should definitely pursue it. Their defence is already pretty much locked in for next season with the following players under contract:

Slavin - Pesce
Skjei - Hamilton
Gardiner - ?
Bean (LD)

I would think they try to re-sign Edmundson, but he is another LD so I don't know how they will deal with having so many lefties. They also have TVR and Vatanen as impending UFAs as well. I would imagine they would prefer Bean over Fleury in the long-term (Bean replacing Gardiner at some point seems logical given their similar play styles). Benning should target Fleury as he would fit this team's transition and needs perfectly IMO, without having to give up too much (2nd + B prospect?).

Last edited:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
For Athletic subscribers, this is hilarious: Down Goes Brown totally nails how fanbases inevitably react to their prospect pool... this honestly feels like it was written for this fanbase.

Down Goes Brown: Ranking the top 10 prospects of whichever...

Some highlights:

1. The first-round pick from the most recent draft

This guy is a sure thing. No, first-round picks don’t always turn out, and you never really know how a player will develop. But this guy is a virtual lock. From the moment the team announced his name, you’ve seen nothing but praise for his well-rounded game, not to mention his pedigree and character. Also, the team’s GM said he couldn’t believe he was still available when their pick came, and it’s illegal to lie about that sort of thing.

2. The first-round pick from a few years ago who should really be here by now but it’s fine

Sometimes it just takes a little while longer, right? There’s no need to worry. Who’s panicking? Not you. Certainly not you.
Would it be nice if this prospect was already producing in the NHL, like the guy taken one pick ahead of him and also one pick behind him and also the three other picks after that and somehow several guys from later rounds? Yes. In a perfect world, that would be happening. But that is not happening, and you’re fine with this.

4. The defenseman

He’s… good? You think he’s good. That’s what you’ve heard, at least. But the thing with defensemen is that you can’t just look at the point totals and instantly know how they’re doing the way you can for forwards. OK, maybe you’re not supposed to do that with forwards either, but it helps. If a winger has lots of goals, he’s probably playing well. Defensemen? Who knows.

7. The guy who’s stuck in the KHL

Yep, any year now. Good things come to those who wait, and sometimes that means navigating the complicated KHL-to-NHL pathway. You don’t fully understand how that works, but once a year your team’s GM travels to Belarus for what will be described as “a productive meeting” with the player’s representatives. That’s progress, right? He’s on his way.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Agreed. This is one of the rare times where Benning's age gap experiment would actually make sense. If we could pry out one of Carolina's young defencemen (Fleury/Bean) without breaking the bank, we should definitely pursue it. Their defence is already pretty much locked in for next season with the following players under contract:

Slavin - Pesce
Skjei - Hamilton
Gardiner - ?
Bean (LD)

I would think they try to re-sign Edumundson, but he is another LD so I don't know how they will deal with having so many lefties. They also have TVR as an impending UFA as well. I would imagine they would prefer Bean over Fleury in the long-term (Bean replacing Gardiner at some point seems logical given their similar play styles). Benning should target Fleury as he would fit this team's transition and needs perfectly IMO, without having to give up too much (2nd + B prospect?).
Good thoughts. Carolina has 6 D making over $4M and their top 8 paid D making $34M. Fleury is an RFA due a raise this summer. Once he gets it, they will have 9 D averaging over $4M all 28 years old and under. And Jake Bean ready to make the leap. They will have to do something with their D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad