Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread Part II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
With all due respect, is it?

Obvious hot take to try and be edgy. Comes across as just that and misinformed to boot.

And I’ve never been the biggest Byram fan but it’s laughable to put Newhook above him based on what each has done in their draft and D+1 years.
Good way to get clicks... He'd probably get less than half the retweets/comments if have the top 5 everyone expects

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We have anything with Clurman?

In short, yeah there is something there, but keep the expectations really low. Him doing okay in the AHL would be an accomplishment at this point... but 2 more years to see what is there.

Long answer... Back in the day, I thought there was going to be something with Clurman. The offense could just never translate up the ranks, and that really isn't uncommon especially from low level leagues. Offensively, he's a near black hole now. He's an okay passer and puck mover, but will never be a guy on a pairing that you want with the puck (I'm probably being a bit harsh here). His shot and offensive instincts aren't there at a high enough level to be anything of substance. On the bright side he has size, can skate, can play physical (wouldn't call him mean or anything though), has great gaps and battles. He's also a great PK guy in college. He's a Patrik Nemeth type of player.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Clurman was always going to be a long term project. It's encouraging that his defensive game has already hit a high level. Two more years with Notre Dame and a couple in the AHL most likely before we know for sure what we've got. As long as he keeps moving forward in his development that's all we can ask for.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Clurman was always going to be a long term project. It's encouraging that his defensive game has already hit a high level. Two more years with Notre Dame and a couple in the AHL most likely before we know for sure what we've got. As long as he keeps moving forward in his development that's all we can ask for.

He'll be 26 by then! :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You think he's likely to be ready before then? You just compared him to Patrik Nemeth, who didn't break into the NHL full time until he was that age.

If he is every ready it should be either right after college or half way through his first AHL deal. Big if.

Mostly "He touched the puck" points. Zero playmaking in these highlights, but it is Notre Dame and they want to win 2-1 type games.

I disagree... there are some nice stretch passes, a good seam pass in the offensive zone and a nice face shot drawing a defender in to dish for the one timer. I'm not saying he makes great plays, but zero playmaking is wrong. He demonstrated 3-4 solid skill plays on them.

Reactions: avsfan09

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
In short, yeah there is something there, but keep the expectations really low. Him doing okay in the AHL would be an accomplishment at this point... but 2 more years to see what is there.

Long answer... Back in the day, I thought there was going to be something with Clurman. The offense could just never translate up the ranks, and that really isn't uncommon especially from low level leagues. Offensively, he's a near black hole now. He's an okay passer and puck mover, but will never be a guy on a pairing that you want with the puck (I'm probably being a bit harsh here). His shot and offensive instincts aren't there at a high enough level to be anything of substance. On the bright side he has size, can skate, can play physical (wouldn't call him mean or anything though), has great gaps and battles. He's also a great PK guy in college. He's a Patrik Nemeth type of player.

I’d be just fine with another Patrik Nemeth. Not all these guys can be stars. It’s never a bad thing to have a bottom pair guy coming through the system.

Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I’d be just fine with another Patrik Nemeth. Not all these guys can be stars. It’s never a bad thing to have a bottom pair guy coming through the system.

In some ways taking a fringe prospect and making him an NHL extra would be a better success from an organizational development perspective than a more highly-regarded prospect becoming a star.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Down Goes Brown: Ranking the top 10 prospects of whichever...

So...
1. Bryam/Newhook
2. Kaut
3. Ranta
4. Timmins
5. Bowers
6. Werner
7. Zhuravlyov
8. Kovalenko
9. 2020 3rd Round Pick
10. Beaucage

HMs:
LOC
Matthew Stienburg (because he spells it incorrectly)
Justus Annunen
982085824_slide.jpg

Anton Lindholm
Tyler Weiss
Nate Clurman

Surprisingly accurate. :laugh:

Last edited:

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Down Goes Brown: Ranking the top 10 prospects of whichever...

So...
1. Bryam/Newhook
2. Kaut
3. Ranta
4. Timmins
5. Bowers
6. Werner
7. Zhuravlyov
8. Kovalenko
9. 2020 3rd Round Pick
10. Beaucage

Surprisingly accurate. :laugh:
What was his reasoning for having Ranta ahead of Timmins? I assume Timmins’ injury concerns, but that’s still disheartening (I’m viewing Ranta being ahead as more of an indictment on Timmins than a positive for Ranta).

Also, why is our 3rd rounder this year listed, but not our 1st? Is he anticipating that we trade our 1st or was it just an oversight?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What was his reasoning for having Ranta ahead of Timmins? I assume Timmins’ injury concerns, but that’s still disheartening (I’m viewing Ranta being ahead as more of an indictment on Timmins than a positive for Ranta).

Also, why is our 3rd rounder this year listed, but not our 1st? Is he anticipating that we trade our 1st or was it just an oversight?
I seem to like Ranta more than most so I don’t think it’s crazy (although I rank Timmins ahead of him).

Ranta has some crazy raw skill and is a powerful human. I get major Chris Kreider vibes although Ranta is way dumber.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

If you subscribe and read the article, it makes a lot more sense. It is poking fun at prospect rankings.

I seem to like Ranta more than most so I don’t think it’s crazy (although I rank Timmins ahead of him).

Ranta has some crazy raw skill and is a powerful human. I get major Chris Kreider vibes although Ranta is way dumber.

even_possible_aliens.gif

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If you subscribe and read the article, it makes a lot more sense. It is poking fun at prospect rankings.

even_possible_aliens.gif
Is Chris Kreider the smartest dumb hockey player ever? I keep hearing that he’s an incredibly intelligent human. Usually that translates on the ice. Guessing he’s more “book smart”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad