Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
2 Goals for Tuomisto this morning was remarkably a +1 in a 7-2 Loss lol
Yeah that's pretty crazy. Ässät as a team was -3 and Tuomisto was +1 while playing 25+ minutes. One of his goals was on the PP too so he wasn't on the ice for any of their 4 ES goals against.

He had 15 shot attempts too... :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
To be fair, I think his decision is absolutely fine. NCAA will be a fantastic place for him to develop. There aren’t any preconceived notions of being a kid in a men’s league, and managing minutes, or anything of the sort.

I just hope that he’s getting extensive power skating coaching for his year. If he can improve his skating, and with all the minutes it seems he is playing, he could really take a big step forward athletically. Would bode well for him.

That should be an interesting part of the college decision as well. A lot of the bigger programs do a good job at improving skating in my opinion. You have time to really focus in on some skills while playing less games.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Pronman on Seider's WJC performance:
Moritz Seider, D, Detroit (Germany)
While this was one of Germany’s best U20 teams in recent memory, it wasn’t an especially deep team. Seider’s presence on the ice made a difference for the group. He kept his team above water when he was on the ice, making a lot of stops due to his mobility and size. He wasn’t a key offensive player in the tournament and he has never been a dazzler, but he made a lot of clean exits and entries, and made some skilled plays to generate offense. His tournament was an example of why, even though he’s not flashy, he’s very effective. He drew the praise of NHL scouts in attendance as a guy who could be a potential top-pair defenseman one day.
On McIsaac:
Jared McIsaac, D, Detroit and Ty Smith, D, New Jersey (Canada)
For returning members from last year’s team and top players in their respective junior leagues, I thought Smith and McIsaac were rather ordinary. I don’t think they were poor, and in fact I saw good flashes from them and they played significant minutes on the championship team. With that said, McIsaac, while being a mobile two-way defenseman, had a few too many costly turnovers.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
From Dobber:
And then there’s Moritz Seider (DET) who led the tournament in average ice time by almost two minutes, finishing with an average of 25:20 per game. The sixth overall pick in 2019 also had six points (all assists) – only one player on the German team had more points than him. If Seider played on one of the top teams, it’s easy to think he could have won the Best Defenseman award because he was a beast in each and every game he played. But because his team ended up in the relegation round, it’s hard to really consider him for any of the top honors. Seider played a huge part in Germany avoiding relegation, though, so if he’s still available next year, he can try to carry his team to an even better performance then – but it’s very likely he’s busy playing in the NHL at that point.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
^Any such reports on Veleno?
Pronman said this in the comment section:
What are your thoughts on Veleno? Nothing too flashy offensively, but he seemed to eat minutes as a two-way center and play in all situations.

I think he was good. Big role on winning team. Skating looked awesome. Debatable how much skill he has but I think it's enough to score in league.

Reactions: GBFP

Christien

May 1, 2010
Johansson is back with Frolunda's J20 team. He has a powerplay goal so far going into the 3rd period.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Craig Button has no love for our prospect pool. Moritz Seider at 25 is our only representative in his top 50 affiliate prospects.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Craig Button has no love for our prospect pool. Moritz Seider at 25 is our only representative in his top 50 affiliate prospects.

The Seider hype has gotten out of control lately. And too many writers/tweeters are just hyping for clicks/attention/retweets.
He had a very solid tournament.
And that's what I always think about Seider... He always seems very, very solid.
But he never seems like a star.
I'm totally fine with that.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Just a bad list, no reason to care imo.

Zadina not even on it, and a guy like Brannstrom ahead of Seider is close to objectively wrong opinions.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Is Zadina still eligible? I really hope that 25 is underrating Seider, but it's disheartening that he has no love for Veleno, Berggren or McIsaac either (not to mention Johansson, Tuomisto etc).

I don't usually agree with Craig Button so this isn't a big deal but I'd prefer that our prospects are universally lauded.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Is Zadina still eligible? I really hope that 25 is underrating Seider, but it's disheartening that he has no love for Veleno, Berggren or McIsaac either (not to mention Johansson, Tuomisto etc).

I don't usually agree with Craig Button so this isn't a big deal but I'd prefer that our prospects are universally lauded.

He said that full time NHLers are excluded, and considering that Zadina has played almost a quarter of the season + will soon surpass his AHL service this year (19 NHL games vs 20 AHL games), I am going to assume that Zadina has met the criteria to no longer be a "prospect" for Button.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
The Seider hype has gotten out of control lately. And too many writers/tweeters are just hyping for clicks/attention/retweets.
He had a very solid tournament.
And that's what I always think about Seider... He always seems very, very solid.
But he never seems like a star.
I'm totally fine with that.

Why are you totally fine with Seider being solid and not a star, but are seemingly glum about Zadina being solid but not a star?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Craigs list is really bad. He has Romanov at 5 and Sandin at 6 but Seider down at 25. Seider should be right there with those guys. Veleno should be there and I'm surprised after the WJC that he didnt get put on there even if it was later in the ranking. Guys like Berggren, Johansson and Tuomisto have no business being on that list right now though. Mcisaac is likely on it if he plays this season but he had a pretty meh WJC and those are his only games this year.

I would say Seider is about 18 or so spots too low and Veleno is an omission but those are the only wings missing who should be there

Reactions: SirloinUB

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Craigs list is really bad. He has Romanov at 5 and Sandin at 6 but Seider down at 25. Seider should be right there with those guys. Veleno should be there and I'm surprised after the WJC that he didnt get put on there even if it was later in the ranking. Guys like Berggren, Johansson and Tuomisto have no business being on that list right now though. Mcisaac is likely on it if he plays this season but he had a pretty meh WJC and those are his only games this year.

I would say Seider is about 18 or so spots too low and Veleno is an omission but those are the only wings missing who should be there
Zadina should be there, I dislike totally arbitrary ways of determining who is a ”prospect”. Brännström has more games than Zadina and is there, above Seider..

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Zadina should be there, I dislike totally arbitrary ways of determining who is a ”prospect”. Brännström has more games than Zadina and is there, above Seider..

Isn't Brannstrom currently playing in the AHL? I'm sure, as shortsighted as it might be, that Button just looked at the active NHL rosters and ruled them out.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Usually like Craig's work, but that list is all over the place. Huge favoritism towards prospects from Canadian teams, and 4 goalies being above Turcotte is ridiculous IMO.

That's how populists will work. Clickbaits.

Nothing analytical on his lists. Just ignore the guy to avoid a bad feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad