Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
He’s got nick robertson really high Lol ,he’s just pleasing the toronto media with his awful top 50 list . Wouldnt pay attention to any of it

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Zadina should be there, I dislike totally arbitrary ways of determining who is a ”prospect”. Brännström has more games than Zadina and is there, above Seider..

Brannstrom was just sent down though and Zadina is up in the NHL at this time. Seems like he just thinks Zadina has graduated

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Zadina should be there, I dislike totally arbitrary ways of determining who is a ”prospect”. Brännström has more games than Zadina and is there, above Seider..

yeah find a consistent line where a player counts as "graduated" and stays graduated and stick to it,whether that's calder eligibility a certain amount of NHL games played or something else

the way he does it he probably has at least one guy that he doesn't have on there because he doesn't count them as prospects anymore that will be on his list next year after they get sent back down and honestly that just undermines the list as a whole

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I'm a big Berggren fan and he was actually my favorite prospect leading up to the 2018 draft. But to be honest, watching him at the WJC actually surprised me by how one dimensional he looked. The skill level and hockey sense are there but he lacks strength and physicality which leads to him being pretty useless when his team doesn't have the puck. It also hurts him sometimes when on the puck because he has to rely mostly on his skating and puck control to keep moving since he rarely wins 1-on-1 battles along the boards. Once a d-man catches up to him the play is often dead. He also rarely shoots to puck (less than 1 SOG per game across the SHL and WJC this season), mainly due to obviously being a playmaker but being purely a playmaker doesn't work out well for most players at least in the NHL. Perhaps it's partially also due to rarely making it to scoring areas as a result of avoiding traffic.

Just made me think that if he wants to make the NHL as the offensive player he is, he'll either have to be absolutely elite in it or start developing a more well-rounded game. This may sound overly negative but it's mostly just being concerned about him not realizing his (huge) potential unless he starts developing some of those weaknesses. Kind of reminds me of Pulkkinen, who I watched a lot as a 16-20 year old, and who's NHL potential was severely hurt by being one dimensional despite having some elite offensive talent.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
At least physicality and strength are developmental things. It just takes time. He just lost almost a whole season (2018-19), so he could be drastically behind in physical development.

If you are one-dimensional, being a playmaker is always better than scorer. When you get the physics back, you start winning those puck battles and get more chanches created for teammates etc. Everything adds up.

He's a project.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
At least physicality and strength are developmental things. It just takes time. He just lost almost a whole season (2018-19), so he could be drastically behind in physical development.

If you are one-dimensional, being a playmaker is always better than scorer. When you get the physics back, you start winning those puck battles and get more chanches created for teammates etc. Everything adds up.

He's a project.
That's true, however he's never shown that physicality as he dominated juniors pretty much based on his speed and skill. There are so many talented players who have been unable to develop that aggressiveness required to battle at higher levels. It usually leads to them avoiding traffic, staying on the outside and not being effective when facing tougher competition.

I think of a guy like Jesper Bratt who was a somewhat similar offensive player as Berggren in junior hockey, but he showed more engagement in the physical play and I feel like that has really benefited him.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm a big Berggren fan and he was actually my favorite prospect leading up to the 2018 draft. But to be honest, watching him at the WJC actually surprised me by how one dimensional he looked. The skill level and hockey sense are there but he lacks strength and physicality which leads to him being pretty useless when his team doesn't have the puck. It also hurts him sometimes when on the puck because he has to rely mostly on his skating and puck control to keep moving since he rarely wins 1-on-1 battles along the boards. Once a d-man catches up to him the play is often dead. He also rarely shoots to puck (less than 1 SOG per game across the SHL and WJC this season), mainly due to obviously being a playmaker but being purely a playmaker doesn't work out well for most players at least in the NHL. Perhaps it's partially also due to rarely making it to scoring areas as a result of avoiding traffic.

Just made me think that if he wants to make the NHL as the offensive player he is, he'll either have to be absolutely elite in it or start developing a more well-rounded game. This may sound overly negative but it's mostly just being concerned about him not realizing his (huge) potential unless he starts developing some of those weaknesses. Kind of reminds me of Pulkkinen, who I watched a lot as a 16-20 year old, and who's NHL potential was severely hurt by being one dimensional despite having some elite offensive talent.

Thoughts?
Don't forget he lost 1 year of his development with injury,

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

Thoughts?

Sounds like Hirose with plus skating.

Oct 18, 2006
Goalie prospects do absolutely nothing for me. I mean sure nice to see to see him doing well but look at Larsson, what a flop of a season, probably too early but IMO a career swinging year. Goalies are impossible to predict and get excited about.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Goalie prospects do absolutely nothing for me. I mean sure nice to see to see him doing well but look at Larsson, what a flop of a season, probably too early but IMO a career swinging year. Goalies are impossible to predict and get excited about.

They'll always go up and down (even between NHL seasons form) and it really is a lottery until the age of 25 who will pan out best.

UFA market is the way to go dodging these bullets and just throw some long-term stocks with low picks for some goalies here and there. Goalies usually go on 3rd round and that's the highest round I would use my picks for any goalie.

But do not waste any high picks for them, when there's elite players available.

And what comes to that Russian goalie, drafting Vasilevskiy at #21 is totally different ballgame than drafting russian goalie at #4 overall.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
This morning in the Sweden U20

Soderblom... Goal and Assist... 42 Points (20 Goals) in 25 Games
Berglund... Assist
Johansson... Goal
I thought soderblom was suppose to get a crack at the shl? Anyone know what happened? Guess at this point he’d probably play like 5minutes a game so id rather he keep producing as he is now and build his confidence

Reactions: hkydave04
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad