Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Seider just destroyed Gage Quinney when Quinney tried to hit him after he had the puck. He ended up going to the lockerroom

Canucks fan coming in peace and support to comment on how great that play looked. What a relief it must be to see Moritz developing as he is, considering the reach he was at the Draft.

I'm happy to read that Zadina is finding his way as well. Having him sheltered in G.R. these 2 seasons will likely end up being the best thing for him in the end while the big club suffers through.

Back to Moritz, it's bugging me which previous Red Wing D-man used to lure opponents in like that. What I mean of course was hanging on to the puck as long as possible and appearing vulnerable but then suddenly passing & then bracing for contact like a f***ing brick wall. It's an uncommon skill but a highly effective one after the reputation is established.

Do you guys know who I'm thinking of?

Cheers from the West

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Canucks fan coming in peace and support to comment on how great that play looked. What a relief it must be to see Moritz developing as he is, considering the reach he was at the Draft.

I'm happy to read that Zadina is finding his way as well. Having him sheltered in G.R. these 2 seasons will likely end up being the best thing for him in the end while the big club suffers through.

Back to Moritz, it's bugging me which previous Red Wing D-man used to lure opponents in like that. What I mean of course was hanging on to the puck as long as possible and appearing vulnerable but then suddenly passing & then bracing for contact like a ****ing brick wall. It's an uncommon skill but a highly effective one after the reputation is established.

Cheers from the West

As a younger player and prospect Brendan Smith was really good at this. He sort of cut it out after he got the Shanahan penalty to prove times were tougher in the pre-season. I will always believe that 8 game suspension for hammering Ben Smith of Chicago impacted his career.

Both Kronwall and Stuart did this a lot. I would say Brad Stuart did it the most and might be who you were thinking of. If I had to name the two in my lifetime that used it the most in a Wings jersey it would be Stuart and Aaron Ward. Both guys were built like tanks and would have guys just bounce off them when they attempted to run them. Chelios was also always game to run you if you got near him and quit on a play or I guess to put nicer didn't finish a play hard.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018

Back to Moritz, it's bugging me which previous Red Wing D-man used to lure opponents in like that. What I mean of course was hanging on to the puck as long as possible and appearing vulnerable but then suddenly passing & then bracing for contact like a ****ing brick wall. It's an uncommon skill but a highly effective one after the reputation is established.

Cheers from the West
I think you may be thinking of Datsyuk although he wasn't a D.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
As a younger player and prospect Brendan Smith was really good at this. He sort of cut it out after he got the Shanahan penalty to prove times were tougher in the pre-season. I will always believe that 8 game suspension for hammering Ben Smith of Chicago impacted his career.

Both Kronwall and Stuart did this a lot. I would say Brad Stuart did it the most and might be who you were thinking of. If I had to name the two in my lifetime that used it the most in a Wings jersey it would be Stuart and Aaron Ward. Both guys were built like tanks and would have guys just bounce off them when they attempted to run them. Chelios was also always game to run you if you got near him and quit on a play or I guess to put nicer didn't finish a play hard.
Thank you for the multiple suggestions, a few of them brought back some great memories. I went back through the list of greats and found him:

Konstantinov

That's who Moritz reminded me of on that play, just a wall who actually left an opposing forward limping away after an ill advised forecheck. A thing of beauty.

Nice to have stuff like this for you guys to get excited about during the Tank/Rebuild Phase of the Cycle.

Cheers

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thank you for the multiple suggestions, a few of them brought back some great memories. I went back through the list of greats and found him:

Konstantinov

That's who Moritz reminded me of on that play, just a wall who actually left an opposing forward limping away after an ill advised forecheck. A thing of beauty.

Nice to have stuff like this for you guys to get excited about during the Tank/Rebuild Phase of the Cycle.

Cheers

Konstantinov has been used at times when we talk about him. Lots of love in Detroit for Vladdy.

I would point out for as robust as Konstantinov's physical game was, he actually wasn't a big dude, kind of like Kronwall. Vladdy was 5'11" and under 200 lbs. He did a great job with timing and maximizing his leverage. Seider has the frame and meanstreak to honestly be a little more imposing. He can be more of a bully ala Weber or Rob Blake if he fills out like I kind of expect in all honesty. We will see, if he is half of Konstantinov people in Detroit will love him. He does have a similarly engaging personality to Vladdy in my opinion, is extremely popular already in the room from what we can gather just like Konstantinov.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I immediately thought Smith is who that poster was talking about. He used to do that quite a bit wher ehe would pop guys trying to hit him. When I think back to Vladdy I think of big hits obviously but not necessarily that kind of reverse hit. Smith did that quite a bit

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Berggren has 11 pts in 21 games in the SHL and is penciled in to the top line for Sweden at the WJC. Pretty awesome bounceback year thus far after his injury
He's on a 4-game point streak and generally looking better all the time, so he should start getting more ice time moving into the second half. Actually it's already increased slowly during the past few weeks, now often 14-16 minutes per game. Last I checked he was top-3 in points per ice time for Skellefteå and also led the roster in CF%.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
someone from WIIM:

upload_2019-12-1_14-49-54.png

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kivenmaki on Finland’s WJC Camp Roster... Sadly, Tuomisto is not.

Heinola Ville - Lukko Rauma (Winnipeg Jets)
Thomson Lassi - Ilves Tampere (Ottawa Senators)
Utunen Toni - Tappara Tampere (Vancouver Canucks)
Hatakka Santeri - Ilves Tampere (San Jose Sharks)
Honka Anttoni - JYP Jyväskylä (Carolina Hurricans)
Kokkonen Mikko - Jukurit Mikkeli (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Kukkonen Miska - Lukko Rauma (Buffalo Sabres)
Niemelä Topi - Kärpät Oulu (2020 draftee)
Nousiainen Kim - KalPa Kuopio (Los Angeles)
Rindell Axel - Jukurit Mikkeli
Seppälä Peetro - KooKoo Kouvola

It's just sick how many defencemen play in men's league. There's no single selection from junior-level.

If teams like Canada are sending guys only from junior leagues, it should be superior competitive edge for Finland to send these "men" against juniors.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Heinola Ville - Lukko Rauma (Winnipeg Jets)
Thomson Lassi - Ilves Tampere (Ottawa Senators)
Utunen Toni - Tappara Tampere (Vancouver Canucks)
Hatakka Santeri - Ilves Tampere (San Jose Sharks)
Honka Anttoni - JYP Jyväskylä (Carolina Hurricans)
Kokkonen Mikko - Jukurit Mikkeli (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Kukkonen Miska - Lukko Rauma (Buffalo Sabres)
Niemelä Topi - Kärpät Oulu (2020 draftee)
Nousiainen Kim - KalPa Kuopio (Los Angeles)
Rindell Axel - Jukurit Mikkeli
Seppälä Peetro - KooKoo Kouvola

It's just sick how many defencemen play in men's league. There's no single selection from junior-level.

If teams like Canada are sending guys only from junior leagues, it should be superior competitive edge for Finland to send these "men" against juniors.

Heinola had a solid start in the NHL so maybe I would consider him. But I wouldnt take any of these guys over Dobson or Smith and likely Byram maybe McIsaac as well. Three of them were high NHL draft picks who have been good AND have WJC experience, Byram is the highest pick of the bunch but doesnt have the experience. Bernard-docker playing in the NCAA against "men" for the most part as well is having a really good year.

Canada's blue line will be better than Finland even with them having guys in mens leagues

Canada announcs their camp roster today

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Canada's blue line will be better than Finland even with them having guys in mens leagues

Based on what?

Point is, player material for Canada could be better, but Finland material will already be superior in development, thanks to this 0.5-1.5 season edge vs. men and with men. It's a huge factor nowadays in these age classes. Canada has mostly great juniors with still bad junior habits. Juniors playing against juniors and learning from juniors. They'll learn later, and overpass these Finns, thanks to development. It just happens later. Finland (and Sweden too) have already guys with men's habits. This thing is happening on bigger scale than ever for Finland.

The difference will be like Seider in AHL, just wait and see. Same reason why Yzerman didn't draft anybody from CHL.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Based on what?

Point is, player material for Canada could be better, but Finland material will already be superior in development, thanks to this 0.5-1.5 season edge vs. men and with men. It's a huge factor nowadays in these age classes. Canada has mostly great juniors with still bad junior habits. Juniors playing against juniors and learning from juniors. They'll learn later, and overpass these Finns, thanks to development. It just happens later. Finland (and Sweden too) have already guys with men's habits. This thing is happening on bigger scale than ever for Finland.

The difference will be like Seider in AHL, just wait and see. Same reason why Yzerman didn't draft anybody from CHL.

Because their players are better. They have a bunch of experience and talent and were drafted MUCH higher because of it. A half a season against men or guys who have a few NHL training camps and were top 15 picks. I'm betting on the guys with NHL preseason and training camps, returning to the tournament and drafted much higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad