Waived: 2019-20 Ongoing Waivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, the other thing to look at with Baertschi is that by claiming him, a team is essentially doing the Canucks a favor.

It would be one thing if Sven had just this season left and you wanted to give him a shot to see if he can stay healthy or benefit from a change of scenery. However, he's got that extra year and on a team that's loaded with bad to questionable contracts (Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Myers and I guess now Baertschi) continuing into next season.

If I'm interested in Baertschi, rather than put in a waiver claim, I'd want to see if Vancouver would sweeten the pot by retaining salary, including a draft pick or taking back some bad salary of my own in a trade before just gifting them with the relief of $2.2-3.3M of cap space for next season.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Ho Sang and Sprong cleared? I was sure one in the bottom tier teams like Oilers or Sen would take a flyer on one on them
Ho sang is garbage, overrated by isles fans. Some even claim he is better than Bennett LMAO.
Sprong does not score enough to overcome his shortcomings.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Pheonix .....

That name always gets me. Did the parents make a mistake naming their kid ?

Reactions: Pandaman11

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Fair enough. It just seems like when it comes to running an NHL team, you're talking about many figures more in "risk" and expenditure. Is Baertschi really that broken? 'Cause if he's not...it's a 40-50pt winger, for free basically.

Why not ask for salary retention if you believed he was okay? Especially when you could have just as easily gotten a "free" asset in free agency earlier in the summer for less. I mean Dzingel who put up 56 points signed at 2 years for less than what Baertschi makes. And the thing about a player like Dzingel he doesn't have the injury risk.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
thanks for asking, but rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated.

And the issue of Nieves as a lesser asset with rare possibility to uniquely serve as a facilitator pivot between a driver like Kreider and a solid finisher-scorer like Zib, thus enabling a greater talent like Chytil to develop further and be pushed down to 3rd line adding depth to effectiveness of roster, is also not entirely dead.

At the moment the best they tried Boo with, an isolated broken play aside, is Howden. Howden has good speed. I like to think they see the value in the synergy of speed-speed and other factors in the lineup. Howden, however is no Kreider, esp at this pt. And there is no legit scorer on RW; he's getting likes of Haley, Lettieri, etc.

Do the experiment as I drew it up, to my specification.
Then let's see what works or not.

NYR need to lose deadwood and also couple of vets who are not part of long term future. When that happens, Krav, Chytil and hopefully Boo, all who deserve to be here, will return.
I find your theories interesting and would like to subscribe to your pamphlet.

Reactions: bernmeister

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
IMO, the other thing to look at with Baertschi is that by claiming him, a team is essentially doing the Canucks a favor.

It would be one thing if Sven had just this season left and you wanted to give him a shot to see if he can stay healthy or benefit from a change of scenery. However, he's got that extra year and on a team that's loaded with bad to questionable contracts (Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Myers and I guess now Baertschi) continuing into next season.

If I'm interested in Baertschi, rather than put in a waiver claim, I'd want to see if Vancouver would sweeten the pot by retaining salary, including a draft pick or taking back some bad salary of my own in a trade before just gifting them with the relief of $2.2-3.3M of cap space for next season.
Since the Canucks only save $1.075 million of his $3.6 cap hit by waiving him, they should be in the market to retain salary. They are on the hook for $2.5 million of his cap hit if he's in the A. Getting that number down would be helpful to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad