Waived: 2019-20 Ongoing Waivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm stunned the Redwings or Oilers didn't take Sprong, especially Edmonton. Sprong has a lot of flaws to his game, but that shot alone is deadly. 14 goals in 47 games with us is pretty impressive.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Sprong, not so much. At least for most who've watched him play last season. But Comrie getting claimed and DeSmith clearing is quite the surprise

I've liked Sprong in the pre-season games. Just based on his play, I think he would have been a good help for a team lacking scoring depth. He may carry baggage though which teams don't want to get onboard.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
That Pittsburgh had a bad cap issue. And seeing how he put up .921 the year before... I dont think I it's quite the fluke you're trying to say it is. One season, sure. But when youre looking at multiple seasons where hes putting up .916 or better, it starts to become a pattern and not an aberration.

Again, look at Andrew Hammond he put up .941 and .914 back to back years playing 24 games each year.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
How many former first round pick got waived today? Six? Including a 4th, 5th and 6th overall.

4th + 6th were even drafted in the same year, and the guy who was 5th is already in the AHL.

Wow...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Im surprised Djoos wen't unclaimed.. you'd think a young defenseman who won the cup 2 years ago gets a look. If he was 6'3" instead of 5'11" it's him going to WPG not Dahlstrom.

His physical attributes have always been his biggest limitation.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I'm stunned the Redwings or Oilers didn't take Sprong, especially Edmonton. Sprong has a lot of flaws to his game, but that shot alone is deadly. 14 goals in 47 games with us is pretty impressive.

There might be another move pending with Holland. I know they want to see what they have with all the new faces in camp but the coach and the GM seem to understand the team is not good enough yet.

archimet

Aug 17, 2008
I honestly think if you replaced every GM in hockey with that team's mascot the quality of executives in the league would improve by a factor of 10. There were several guys who have potential, will cost you nothing and would be zero risk/high reward moves.

Yep... That's why the competition in this league is so bad and the game is so hard to watch... Oh wait...

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
2 has to be the lowest number of pre-season claims since they got rid of the waiver draft, right?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The team with the least amount of goals in the league waived him. Maybe there is more to the story than his 14 goals.

The team with the fewest goals is also inserting several young forwards in the lineup. I mean, where does Sprong fit in Anaheim? Troy Terry, Sam Steel, Max Comtois...they all have to play. Max Jones, Isac Lundestrom. That is a lot of young forwards. When you add the likes of Rakell, Silfverberg, Kase, Ritchie and the centers (Getzlaf and Henrique), it is pretty easy to see how Sprong gets waived.

He is a victim of the numbers game. Happens all the time.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yep... That's why the competition in this league is so bad and the game is so hard to watch... Oh wait...
Is there any other sport that annually sees numerous trades every season that were so horrible and stupid that you would be fired the second the season ended by just about any team in any other sport? I mean how in the hell do complete clowns like Benning and Botteril keep their jobs?

Oh, and the product isn't very good nowadays either.

Reactions: travis scott

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Is there any other sport that annually sees numerous trades every season that were so horrible and stupid that you would be fired the second the season ended by just about any team in any other sport? I mean how in the hell do complete clowns like Benning and Botteril keep their jobs?

Oh, and the product isn't very good nowadays either.
Totally understandable, but I'm a bit surprised he wasn't claimed by a team that doesn't have such an influx of young talent...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I honestly think if you replaced every GM in hockey with that team's mascot the quality of executives in the league would improve by a factor of 10. There were several guys who have potential, will cost you nothing and would be zero risk/high reward moves.

It's not exactly zero risk, because you would then have to move / waive a different guy from your roster to make room for him, some teams would have to shed a contract, and some teams can't afford the cap hit of some of these guys. When a team has a specific hole to fill (like Carolina did claiming McElhinney last year), it makes sense. Usually though, the guys pass through not because of GM stupidity, but because they just aren't very good.

I remember when some on the Canes board were irate when the Canes selected Aho over Sprong, Harkins or Bittner in 2015, one poster actually calling the management "senile".

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It's not exactly zero risk, because you would then have to move / waive a different guy from your roster to make room for him, some teams would have to shed a contract, and some teams can't afford the cap hit of some of these guys. When a team has a specific hole to fill (like Carolina did claiming McElhinney last year), it makes sense. Usually though, the guys pass through not because of GM stupidity, but because they just aren't very good.
If we had claimed JHS he would arguably be one of our top 6 forwards the minute he arrived in Buffalo. And freaking Ottawa and Edmonton?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If we had claimed JHS he would arguably be one of our top 6 forwards the minute he arrived in Buffalo. And freaking Ottawa and Edmonton?

The guy that had 8 goals and 43 points in the AHL as a 22/23 year old. Let's not confuse draft pedigree and "perceived skill" with on ice production. Maybe, just maybe, the people in hockey know more about the behind the scenes stuff than HF posters?

Maybe a change of scenery is what he needs, but there are reasons why guys like him go unclaimed.

Reactions: Ciao

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I now wonder if another reason teams didn't claim Sprong is that it'd be declaring war on Bob Murray & he'll claim whatever guys they try to get thru as payback ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad