Waived: 2019-20 Ongoing Waivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Ironic timing, and cautionary tale, given the exceptional # of players who applied for, or earned, exceptional status recently in CHL.
If I remember correctly, at the time, a lot of concern was that Day was just bigger than everyone else, not necessarily better. That his head just wasn't in the game, and I won't be surprised if he takes a one year deal in the AHL or just walks away this year or next.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

I liked Vala a lot back when I was able to scout a lot of WHL. Seems like this year he stepped up and played more AHL hockey after being mostly in the ECHL previously.

I will be interested in how many European players seek out this route in order to play closer to home amidst this pandemic. There’s always a handful of players that do this, I wonder if it will be more this season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I liked Vala a lot back when I was able to scout a lot of WHL. Seems like this year he stepped up and played more AHL hockey after being mostly in the ECHL previously.

I will be interested in how many European players seek out this route in order to play closer to home amidst this pandemic. There’s always a handful of players that do this, I wonder if it will be more this season.

Not just closer to home, but we don't really know when the AHL and ECHL will resume play. They are gate-driven leagues, can they even operate without selling tickets to put fans in the building? For some players it may be about hedging their bet and if they can secure an opportunity to actually play in a Europe-based league, they may just take it rather than deal with the uncertainty that is the NA minor pro league season of 2020-21.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

This is surprising to me.

I guess maybe he needs a change for personal reasons, but I though a large part of his story to recovery was Ottawa and the support system he built there.

EDIT: thought it was a mutual termination, based on the wording of the tweet but looks to be a buyout. So Ryan probably didn't have much say.

Last edited:

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Not sure if it was the tweet, but CapFriendly has SJS' Danil Yurtaykin on unconditional waivers for mutual termination
That was the one, I assume Kurz deleted the tweet because he referred to it as purposes of a "Buy-Out", thinking of it as a blanket, catch-all for teams terminating a contract, not realizing he was on Twitter and every single person is going to respond "Buy-Out? You can't buy out a player now!" :)

Reactions: uncleben
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad