Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Looking for some info on players who made their debut last season...

Tyler Benson
Joakim Nygard
Gaetan Haas
William Lagesson

What kind of players are they and what is their NHL projection?

Thanks!

Benson only played a few games in the NHL last year, but he didn't look ready. He's a great playmaker, he's feisty on the boards, and he has a solid shot. The only thing holding him back from becoming a middle-6 winger is his skating. If he can improve that over the offseason, I can see him making the Oilers opening night roster.

Nygard's season was injury riddled, but I don't think we're going to see much more than what he demonstrated in his time here. He's a speedy 4th line winger who can kill penalties, but I don't see him putting up more than 20-25 points a season going forward.

I don't think Haas was given enough opportunity last season. He's fast, he can shoot, and he's responsible in his own end. If everything goes right I think he can potentially develop into a #3C, but it's more likely that he becomes a bottom-6 winger/4th line center.

Lagesson is stuck behind a logjam of LD (Klefbom, Nurse, Russell, Jones), so he hasn't been given much opportunity. That said, I think he's pretty much NHL ready. He's solid in his own end, he's physical, and his offensive game is underrated. Like Benson, the only thing holding him back is his foot speed. If he can improve that, we have a #5/#6 D on our hands, but I don't see much more upside than that.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Looking for some info on players who made their debut last season...

Tyler Benson
Joakim Nygard
Gaetan Haas
William Lagesson

What kind of players are they and what is their NHL projection?

Thanks!
Benson is at the point in his development that if he doesn't show up in the NHL this year, I don't think he will ever be more than a bottom 6 guy. Super smart player but something seems to be holding him back

Joakim Nygard fast but injured too much to get a good feel. Would be a good 4th liner to throw in against speedier teams.

Haas bottom 6 guy with some offensive ability. Probably mostly a 4th liner with spot duty higher maybe.

William Lagesson, don't think he has the foot speed to cut it as a full time NHLer. Not bad as a 7d

Reactions: Legionnaire11

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
It appears Ilya Konovalov has lost the starter job in Lokomotiv, unfortunately. Eddie Pasquale has played the last handful of games and, with two shutouts in his last two games, that doesn't look to change anytime soon. His stats this season are pretty crazy with around .960 SV% and 1 GAA.

Hopefully Konovalov gets more opportunity soon.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
It appears Ilya Konovalov has lost the starter job in Lokomotiv, unfortunately. Eddie Pasquale has played the last handful of games and, with two shutouts in his last two games, that doesn't look to change anytime soon. His stats this season are pretty crazy with around .960 SV% and 1 GAA.

Hopefully Konovalov gets more opportunity soon.

Hopefully this pushes Konovalov to sign with the Oilers after his contract with Lokomotiv is up at the end of the year.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Great night for our prospects over in the HockeyAllsvenskan. Through 2 periods, Evan Bouchard scored, Raphael Lavoie has 2 goals, and Lagesson recorded a primary assist. I may try to catch the 3rd period of one of those games.

(Bouch and Lavoie's goals shown below)

Samorukov isn't playing for CSKA right now, likely an injury. Hopefully nothing serious. Maksimov was called up though and has one shot in a little over 12 minutes of ice time.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Great night for our prospects over in the HockeyAllsvenskan. Through 2 periods, Evan Bouchard scored, Raphael Lavoie has 2 goals, and Lagesson recorded a primary assist. I may try to catch the 3rd period of one of those games.

Samorukov isn't playing for CSKA right now, likely an injury. Hopefully nothing serious. Maksimov was called up though and has one shot in a little over 12 minutes of ice time.

Those are some nice goals.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015

What a rocket from Bouch. Lavoie's got a great release too.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Holy Bouchard have mercy on that shot

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Bouchards shot is so damn weird. If you ignore the puck and watch just him, the shot looks like it's going to club or has nothing on it. What he does and the puck does, just doesn't make sense together

He’s a magician!

source.gif

Reactions: McTonyBrar

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I'm so happy we have both Broberg and Bouchard. They are going to compliment each other nicely.

I feel the future pairs are Samurai-Bouchard and Broberg-Bear with Bro/Bouch getting powerplay time together. If we get real lucky someone emerges out of nowhere on the right side who can push Bear to his own pairing.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
For those interested Corey Pronman (The Athletic) published his best NHL players under 23 - top 155.

He had 6 Oilers prospects ranked in the top 155, which is above the average amount (had Rags and Devils with 9 each, Kings and Senators with 8, low end with Pens and Lightning with 1 player each and Bruins and Capitals with 2 each)

52. Broberg (High-end / very good)
84. Puljujarvi (Very good)
101. Dylan Holloway (Very good)
116. Kailer Yamamoto (Very good)
134. Evan Bouchard (Very good)
150. Raphael Lavoie (Very good)

For reference, high end means 'projects as first-line forward or a top-pair defenseman). Very good means 'projects as a top-six forward, top-four defenseman or starting goaltender in the NHL'

His write ups were reasonable. Lots of complaints in comments about 'recency' bias and he has some players in spots that seem to ruffle feathers (Jack Hughes above Quinn Hughes for example...but based on potential, why not?)

I think Bouchard should be higher but think the others are fair. By comparison he has Dobson (obviously the debated other option with the Bouchard pick) at 74 which I feel is a bit high, no way he's almost twice as valuable as Bouchard IMO. Also feel that Bouchard has a shot to be a bubble top pairing guy like with Broberg's rating.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Instead of blanket shitting on him. What about his list do you disagree with?

I just looked at his list and Tkachuk at 5 as a "special" player a step above elite is batshit crazy. Tkachuk is an excellent player but that's absurd.
Makar and Heiskanen should be a lot higher than 13 or 14, those are special players. I only saw the top 14 because I don't pay for that content.

It's all opinion of course but calling Tkachuk special, better than elite, isn't based on reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I just looked at his list and Tkachuk at 5 as a "special" player a step above elite is batshit crazy. Tkachuk is an excellent player but that's absurd.
Makar and Heiskanen should be a lot higher than 13 or 14, those are special players. I only saw the top 14 because I don't pay for that content.

It's all opinion of course but calling Tkachuk special, better than elite, isn't based on reality.

Yup, if anything I can see him having hit his ceiling already whereas Makar and Heiskanen have nowhere to go but up. Based on that alone Tkachuk is probably about 40 or so spots too high at least. I don’t really understand Pronman’s criteria, because it doesn’t seem to be based much on potential or ceiling, just a mishmash of how good they are now and how he ‘feels’ about the players IMO.

I do agree with the general sentiments he has about Oilers prospects and their rough locations on the list aside from Bouchard being too low. I didn’t really take a good look at the rest of the list but noticed some glaringly painful things like the top 20 seeming more subjective than it should be.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yup, if anything I can see him having hit his ceiling already whereas Makar and Heiskanen have nowhere to go but up. Based on that alone Tkachuk is probably about 40 or so spots too high at least. I don’t really understand Pronman’s criteria, because it doesn’t seem to be based much on potential or ceiling, just a mishmash of how good they are now and how he ‘feels’ about the players IMO.

I do agree with the general sentiments he has about Oilers prospects and their rough locations on the list aside from Bouchard being too low. I didn’t really take a good look at the rest of the list but noticed some glaringly painful things like the top 20 seeming more subjective than it should be.

I think the Oiler rankings are even a little off. Broberg being THAT much higher than Bouchard is pretty crazy although Bouchard is a pretty polarizing prospect so not shocking that his ranking would really vary from scout to scout.

I don't agree with Puljujarvi being that much higher than Yamamoto either, I don't think his skillset is as high end as some others think but it's not an egregious ranking. I think Yamamoto has a chance to climb pretty high up that list in the next few years. I love his game, just one of those players who has a great feel for the game. Smart, determined, well rounded.

Reactions: 780il and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I think the Oiler rankings are even a little off. Broberg being THAT much higher than Bouchard is pretty crazy although Bouchard is a pretty polarizing prospect so not shocking that his ranking would really vary from scout to scout.

I don't agree with Puljujarvi being that much higher than Yamamoto either, I don't think his skillset is as high end as some others think but it's not an egregious ranking. I think Yamamoto has a chance to climb pretty high up that list in the next few years. I love his game, just one of those players who has a great feel for the game. Smart, determined, well rounded.

I think he definitely has Bouchard way too low. I might put him below Broberg but not by that much. And Pulju and Yams it’s hard to say, I might feel inclined to flip them as well. Have a feeling Pulju is going to come in and make a lot of fans eat crow this year.

Oddly enough I seem to remember Pronman being high on Bouchard in his draft year but maybe I’m remembering wrong

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad