3 William Nylander RW Modo SHL
4 Sam Reinhart C Kootenay WHL
5 Nikolaj Ehlers LW Halifax QMJHL
6 Kevin Fiala LW HV71 SHL
7 Leon Draisaitl C Prince Albert WHL
8 Michael Dal Colle LW Oshawa OHL
9 Kasperi Kapanen RW KalPa Liiga
10 Haydn Fleury D Red Deer WHL

Don't forget that he's just a person. I'd put far more stock in a list where there were each player had multiple evaluators, not just one.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Apart from our Allsvenskan prospects, it's been a quite couple of days with Broberg's game being postponed, Samorukov getting the night off, and Puljujarvi's team going into quarantine.

Ryan McLeod got an assist the other day though, his 3rd point in 6 NL games.

Theodor Lennstrom, a 26-year old defenseman we signed recently, scored his 1st SHL goal of the season in his 6th game.

A couple of other things I wanted to share:

Here is a Dmitri Samorukov interview that was published yesterday, pretty good read. I hadn't realized Samorukov married Vitaly Kravtsov's sister this summer.

I found a site called Better than a Monkey that has Player Cards with advanced stats from the SHL. Philip Broberg's stats are shown below. His Game Score progression from last season is notable. In 2019-20 he had an average game score of 0.36 — right around average in the SHL — which has improved to 0.84 through 9 games this season, placing him in the "elite" category and approaching MVP status.

upload_2020-10-23_14-44-25.png

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Apart from our Allsvenskan prospects, it's been a quite couple of days with Broberg's game being postponed, Samorukov getting the night off, and Puljujarvi's team going into quarantine.

Ryan McLeod got an assist the other day though, his 3rd point in 6 NL games.

Theodor Lennstrom, a 26-year old defenseman we signed recently, scored his 1st SHL goal of the season in his 6th game.

A couple of other things I wanted to share:

Here is a Dmitri Samorukov interview that was published yesterday, pretty good read. I hadn't realized Samorukov married Vitaly Kravtsov's sister this summer.

I found a site called Better than a Monkey that has Player Cards with advanced stats from the SHL. Philip Broberg's stats are shown below. His Game Score progression from last season is notable. In 2019-20 he had an average game score of 0.36 — right around average in the SHL — which has improved to 0.84 through 9 games this season, placing him in the "elite" category and approaching MVP status.

Average in the SHL at 18 and people will still say he had a bad season there.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think he definitely has Bouchard way too low. I might put him below Broberg but not by that much. And Pulju and Yams it’s hard to say, I might feel inclined to flip them as well. Have a feeling Pulju is going to come in and make a lot of fans eat crow this year.

Oddly enough I seem to remember Pronman being high on Bouchard in his draft year but maybe I’m remembering wrong
Broberg being that much higher makes a bit of sense.
Broberg has the size and skating for sure and is still young and full of potential. Bouchard has the skill and shot but I believe for a lot of scouts, his progression skating and defensively hasn't been enough.

A gap that big on this list between them doesn't mean there is a huge difference between them. There is just 31 teams of players and prospects they are ranking. A minor difference could mean like, 50+ spots on this list.

I find the best way to look at lists like this is to look at the blurb and the projection, number ranking be damned.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Broberg being that much higher makes a bit of sense.
Broberg has the size and skating for sure and is still young and full of potential. Bouchard has the skill and shot but I believe for a lot of scouts, his progression skating and defensively hasn't been enough.

A gap that big on this list between them doesn't mean there is a huge difference between them. There is just 31 teams of players and prospects they are ranking. A minor difference could mean like, 50+ spots on this list.

I find the best way to look at lists like this is to look at the blurb and the projection, number ranking be damned.
This guys lists are also terrible. He had draisaitl at 7th.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
This guys lists are also terrible. He had draisaitl at 7th.

Yeah I'm generally not a fan of his rankings so I definitely take what he says with a grain of salt. Sometimes he has some good info about a prospect you don't hear elsewhere and gives a good rundown of a player's strengths and weaknesses, but even then sometimes his assessments on some skills/strengths/weaknesses are off too. Certainly the number of views of a given prospect affects that, but even so the rankings of 1st and 2nd round picks should be more dialed in IMO.

Hairy Apparatus

Mar 6, 2018
what is a yeet?
like imagine absolutely tossing a ball at someone's face, youd say like you yeeted the ball at them. It's like a really fast motion I guess lol, if you grab someone's phone really quickly out of their hands you say yeet. This was mostly in high school tho lol but I mean yeet was the only way to describe that shot.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
like imagine absolutely tossing a ball at someone's face, youd say like you yeeted the ball at them. It's like a really fast motion I guess lol, if you grab someone's phone really quickly out of their hands you say yeet. This was mostly in high school tho lol but I mean yeet was the only way to describe that shot.
I've never said "yeet" but you do you :)

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
what the hell

Reactions: jlockhart89

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Big day for our prospects yesterday.

Ryan McLeod scored his first 2 goals of the season in the NL (top Swiss league, formerly called the NLA) through a little over 13 minutes of ice time. He also blocked 2 shots and won 5/11 faceoffs playing in the 3C role for EV Zug. I would like to see McLeod shoot more as he has only 7 shots in 7 games, but he does seem to be picking his spots nicely; McLeod ranks 10th in the league in average shot distance among NL players with over 5 GP. In addition, 70% of his shot attempts are on target, also ranking 10th league wide. For more cool NL stats, visit https://nlicedata.com/. Seriously, their stats are more comprehensive than the NHL's.

Dmitri Samorukov led CSKA in ice time with 19:15 after being given the game off a couple of days ago. The team won 5-1 and lay atop the KHL standings.

Raphael Lavoie opened the scoring for Vasby, but they ultimately fell 8-2. He has 5 goals and 2 assists through 8 games in the HockeyAllsvenskan this season.

Evan Bouchard recorded a powerplay assist in a 6-2 loss. He managed to have a +/- of 0 and recorded 10 PIMS. Bouchard now has a statline of 3-3-6 and 48 PIMS in 10 games. Below are some of his highlights this season. The assist he got yesterday is not included in the video.

. . .

Philip Broberg and Skelleftea play at 7:15 AM today.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Bouchard has 48 PIMs already? Gooning it up or what?

He was reading this board and saw all the rumors of lack of "intensity" to his game so is working on it overseas.

Is kind of funny. I've heard someone say he lacks intensity but when he was drafted that was one of the things he was known for. Quiet intensity somewhat similar to McDavid. Apparently he is upping it to Loud intensity.

I'm curious most about his skating. Always nhl level but not elite but if he worked/works on that on the big ice surface much like Draisaitl did we could have an incredible player on our hands. I'm not worried about his defense yet. If Klefbom can learn to play defense as well as he does I'm sure Bouchard can as well.

Edit: Just stat watching but Broberg looked to have a rough game. On for 3 against, no points, -2, and down to 18 minutes of ice time.

Has he been struggling lately?

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
He was reading this board and saw all the rumors of lack of "intensity" to his game so is working on it overseas.

Is kind of funny. I've heard someone say he lacks intensity but when he was drafted that was one of the things he was known for. Quiet intensity somewhat similar to McDavid. Apparently he is upping it to Loud intensity.

I'm curious most about his skating. Always nhl level but not elite but if he worked/works on that on the big ice surface much like Draisaitl did we could have an incredible player on our hands. I'm not worried about his defense yet. If Klefbom can learn to play defense as well as he does I'm sure Bouchard can as well.

Edit: Just stat watching but Broberg looked to have a rough game. On for 3 against, no points, -2, and down to 18 minutes of ice time.

Has he been struggling lately?
Broberg had a relatively poor game by his standards but this is a perfect example of why you can't use +/- to draw conclusions, especially without actually watching the game. Broberg got a minus with under two minutes left to play when his partner had a horrendous giveaway that resulted in Rogle breaking the tie. Nothing Broberg could have done about that but he gets a minus.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Broberg had a relatively poor game by his standards but this is a perfect example of why you can't use +/- to draw conclusions, especially without actually watching the game. Broberg got a minus with under two minutes left to play when his partner had a horrendous giveaway that resulted in Rogle breaking the tie. Nothing Broberg could have done about that but he gets a minus.

Understood.

My concern has more to do with declining ice time than anything else. Not as big a deal since the AHL isn't even a thing but if he wasn't going to get top 4 minutes in Sweden I would have rather had him in the AHL learning the NA game.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Understood.

My concern has more to do with declining ice time than anything else. Not as big a deal since the AHL isn't even a thing but if he wasn't going to get top 4 minutes in Sweden I would have rather had him in the AHL learning the NA game.
He's also 19 though. Maybe consistency is being a bit of an issue, which is to be expected at his age

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Understood.

Weird. You’ve posted in the Broberg thread constantly since his season started and it’s been posted over and over again how he’s consistently leading his team in ice time. Either you’re being completely disingenuous or intentionally obtuse.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

Oilersfan1987

Aug 11, 2020
Hey guys,

I know this might sound strange but I think the Oilers have done well drafting D and that is a strength of the team now as they have (in no order): Bouchard, Broberg, Samaroukov, Berglund, Jones, etc. But what about our NCAA players such as Mike Kesselring, Phil Kemp, Mathew Cairns. Are these guys legit prospects and can help bottom pairing or can we write them off. Also curious about other guys such as: BrindAmour, Mazura, Safin (had a good year in ECHL) and Rasanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad