Speculation: 2019/20 NHL trade deadline thread (rumors, ideas, & deals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
TT always showed signs of talent, but he was frail and needed to adjust to playing in the NHL. He’s likely put on size with age and adjusted to the NHL game.

Nylander has NHL size, the problem with him is he has shown no sign of talent, drive or hockey IQ to suggest there is untapped potential.

Bold: this is 100% inaccurate.

Reactions: d rake

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
2 trades I would do for sure.

I trade Strome to Detroit for AA (plus whatever needs to go each way).

I trade Lehner (if he is not signing) or Crow + Gus to Car for Toronto's 1st.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He's been better of late, but we saw the terrible start to the season and the garbage two of the last 3 seasons.

The Hawks clearly need to rebuild. Getting rid of a $10.5M cap hit for a player who's value is in the $5M range would go a long way to help them.

It's time to move on.
He's been arguably our best player since beginning of November. Trade him you may as well trade Kane.

Reactions: BobbyJet

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014

Not a huge fan of trading Strome, especially for a forward who underachieves pretty consistently. If I’m trading Strome, I want a LHD back.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don't see it. I can't think of any plays he has made where I was like, wow, that's a really smart play by Nylander, not one.

IQ isn't just about "making a really smart play". It's about positioning, also, and he's rarely out of position. He also makes some great plays that amount to nothing because the player it's intended for goes full dumbass and isn't where he should be, or makes a mistake and flubs a shot attempt, or makes a terrible pass instead of shooting.

Reactions: d rake

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
IQ isn't just about "making a really smart play". It's about positioning, also, and he's rarely out of position. He also makes some great plays that amount to nothing because the player it's intended for goes full dumbass and isn't where he should be.
It isn't all about it, no. Positioning isn't hard, a 7 year old can learn that. The only plays I see him making are burst into the ops end at the side boards, stop at the hash marks, and throw the puck away to nobody, or the other team.

I'm done with Nylander.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

BK, I respect you but you're a f***ing idiot if you want to trade Strome for AA.

We're talking about a 25 year old who has only hit 50 points once and is abysmal defensively.

AA is basically Strome except you're trading talent and age for speed. Not worth it. You're overvaluing speed.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
BK, I respect you but you're a ****ing idiot if you want to trade Strome for AA.

We're talking about a 25 year old who has only hit 50 points once and is abysmal defensively.

AA is basically Strome except you're trading talent and age for speed. Not worth it. You're overvaluing speed.

Strome has been pure shit this season. AA is highly talented and has speed. Speed is more important than ever. Strome's effort is very concerning.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It isn't all about it, no. Positioning isn't hard, a 7 year old can learn that. The only plays I see him making are burst into the ops end at the side boards, stop at the hash marks, and throw the puck away to nobody, or the other team.

I'm done with Nylander.

Uhhh... you ever watch 7 year olds play hockey? :laugh:

Kids don't really start to understand positioning and even their own position, until like peewees. And even then, they still don't fully grasp it. If I had a dollar for how many times I've watched my nephews as squirts and peewees, and all 5 guys are in a corner, or along the boards in the neutral zone, or D are standing around down in front of the net in the offensive zone, I'd be rich. They understand there are positions, and generally where you need to be, but there's no real focus on positioning in their minds. They're all zoned in on the puck at those ages.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Uhhh... you ever watch 7 year olds play hockey? :laugh:

Kids don't really start to understand positioning and even their own position, until like peewees. And even then, they still don't fully grasp it. If I had a dollar for how many times I've watched my nephews as squirts and peewees, and all 5 guys are in a corner, or along the boards in the neutral zone, or D are standing around down in front of the net in the offensive zone, I'd be rich. They understand there are positions, and generally where you need to be, but there's no real focus on positioning in their minds.
I was being factitious.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I'm done with Nylander.

No just no. Positioning is a huge weakness for a lot of players. Positioning includes the angles you take as well.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You were definitely not being factitious.

And being facetious(which is what I think you mean) does nothing to help your argument... so...
Yeah, spell check corrected to the wrong word, and I didn't read it over.

I was over exaggerating, and I don't need help with my argument, Nylander being dumb makes it for me.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
No just no. Positioning is a huge weakness for a lot of players. Positioning includes the angles you take as well.
OK, whatever, you believe he is a good player, and keep believing that. maybe some day it will come true. For the the Hawks sake, I hope it does, but I certainly don't see it right now. He sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad