Speculation: 2019/20 NHL trade deadline thread (rumors, ideas, & deals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Alex Nylander is a poor man's Marcel Hossa

Same crappy offense as Marcel but a worse defender

If his name was Alex Mitchell he would be in AHL already on fast track to playing in some Swiss or German league in a year or two

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Alex Nylander is a poor man's Marcel Hossa

Same crappy offense as Marcel but a worse defender

If his name was Alex Mitchell he would be in AHL already on fast track to playing in some Swiss or German league in a year or two
On what planet is Nylander bad defensively?
He's weak on the boards, but besides that he's a plus defender. He's good on the forecheck and backcheck.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
He had 9 in 12 before the scheme change. Just looked it up.

??
Nylander.PNG

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
TT always showed signs of talent, but he was frail and needed to adjust to playing in the NHL. He’s likely put on size with age and adjusted to the NHL game.

Nylander has NHL size, the problem with him is he has shown no sign of talent, drive or hockey IQ to suggest there is untapped potential.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
TT always showed signs of talent, but he was frail and needed to adjust to playing in the NHL. He’s likely put on size with age and adjusted to the NHL game.

Nylander has NHL size, the problem with him is he has shown no sign of talent, drive or hockey IQ to suggest there is untapped potential.
Disagree on both players, but whatever.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Wait, what? :laugh:

There is plenty of talent and IQ there. The only thing you have right is his drive... it's the one thing keeping him from being a great top 6 player in the NHL.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
No idea. He doesn't seem to like playing on the boards, but he's not bad defensively. It's just a narrative. Just like your assertion that Cat and Strome are bad defensively.
Cat isn't necessarily bad, he just gets pushed around physically. Strome isn't either, but he can't skate well enough to cover his area. They're not necessarily bad, but enough of a liability that it gets annoying when they don't score for long stretches.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Not really, I just don't label players unless they deserve it. Cat and Strome haven't had an opportunity in the playoffs yet so to call them non-playoff performers is one of the dumbest things I've seen. Remember when people said Panarin wasn't a playoff performer?

For starters, very few said Panarin wasn't a playoff performer. He was PPG against STL and no one showed up against NSH the following year.

I specifically said that not showing up in these games before the TDL does NOT mean they won't show up in the playoffs. No one will know that for sure until they play playoff games. All I was saying is that these upcoming games are (arguably) the most important games of some of these guys careers. If they don't play well it makes me question whether or not they can be the type of player that elevates their game in the postseason.

If you don't see that as a legitimate concern then I guess you just don't see it. But it's far from some meathead correlation like you're trying to make it out to be.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Cat isn't necessarily bad, he just gets pushed around physically. Strome isn't either, but he can't skate well enough to cover his area. They're not necessarily bad, but enough of a liability that it gets annoying when they don't score for long stretches.

Cat doesn't really get pushed around at all, either. Cat's shooting % is down, and he is making bone-headed plays, but the whole team is doing the same thing making bone-headed plays. He has had a rough year, but he's not bad defensively. He's average, at worst.

Strome isn't bad either, but he doesn't need to skate well to cover his area. He's been playing wing, has he not? All he needs to do is cover the point, and the boards from the hash marks up. Strome looked fine prior to his ankle injury(with the exception of his first 10 or so games), and he's likely still nursing that injury, and not 100%, so I'm not going to rail on him at all.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I know I brought it up before, but now that this team is pretty much out of the playoffs and what matters is getting guys right for next year, would you put DeBrincat with Toews and Kubalik?

DeBrincat has played well with Toews in the past, and maybe being with those two will spark him to finish the season on a positive note. Obviously, DeBrincat is much more important in the long term than Caggiula is, so I'd like to see them try to spark something in DeBrincat.

If it works, next year looks like

DeBrincat-Toews-Kubalik
Saad-Dach-Kane
??-Strome-??
??-??-??

That's not a bad formula, and you still have some offense on the third line. I think Strome would do better with some bigger bodies with speed and who can grind, and you can find those guys for him during the offeseason. Also, Kane could double shift down to Strome's line from time to time.

I think this is how I'd try to set it up going into next season, assuming there are no major shakeups of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad