2019-20 Minor League Thread - Rampage/Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Hofer will be in juniors still. He is too young to play in AHL/ECHL.

Because of this rule and because of Husso's season of injuries and poor performance, I'd think adding a solid 3/4 goalie is imperative.

As it stands, the Blues are one injury away from a Allen/Husso tandem in net.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It’s extremely hard to say that Williams was “much better” based on stats alone. Don’t forget that Fitz was our backup at the NHL level for like a week earlier this year. Obviously you’d like to see better stats out of him, but it was his first pro year and he was doing the ole’ Peoria Shuffle between St Louis, San Antonio, and Tulsa for a large portion of the year. He’s still learning how to be an adult, and while some guys have the preternatural ability to just glide through that, it takes some guys a bit longer to get used to living out of hotels, worrying about AHL vs ECHL salaries and accommodations, etc etc. Williams had the benefit of being through all of that already, and staying in one place for a vast majority of the season.

“Better” is just kind of subjective when it comes to goalies down the depth chart. I don’t think Fitzpatrick is the heir apparent by any means yet, but if you’ve got a spot to fill, and you want to do so internally, you put him there instead of Williams easily.

That said, if we’re looking for outside help, the following guys would be decent targets:
Fucale, McDonald, Appleby, McAdam, Halverson, or Wilcox.
I think we need to distinguish between who was better last year and who is better prospect. Williams had much higher save percentage and GAA over a goal lower than Fitz in Tulsa. It would be a real stretch to say he wasn't better last year. Fitz though is over 2 years younger, bigger, and was a high pick for a reason presumably. He was awesome in CHL playoffs previous year. Fitz is by most definitions the better prospect. But Williams was very good last year and seems like he is someone who perhaps should be part of our organizational depth in G, either as part of a tandem in Tulsa or backup in SA.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Hofer will be going back to Portland, there’s no reason to graduate him yet. Husso and Fitzy will maybe be the tandem in San Antonio (and I think Fitz is ready for that duty), but in all likelihood we’ll sign somebody else for that role and send Fitz back to Tulsa to carry most of the workload there. Coreau could be back.

My mistake - thanks

Wovenhand1976

May 25, 2019
A question for you Nate regarding Schmaltz - what ever happened last season? Was he used differently? Did Reinke get more off.zone starts? More pp- time? Or was it just Schmaltz's play that deteriorated like that? Find it puzzling. He's always been very talented, but imo had a lot of bad luck with injuries at the wrong time.

Wovenhand1976

May 25, 2019
To my untrained eye, Schmaltz seemed very disengaged once he was sent down, so Bannister used him less and less in his usual situations. IMO, he's a prime candidate for a "change of scenery" trade if they aren't going to make him the healthy scratch/occasional player in St Louis.

Thanks for your response. I hope they're able to get him to focus again. He, Pouliot and dotchin are all in the same boat. Very important upcoming season for them.

Wovenhand1976

May 25, 2019
Can I trouble you with one more? :) What's your opinion regarding Tanner Kaspick? He played around 40 games last season. Not very productive and I can't find any info regarding him.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
JJ Daigneault named as the new HC of the Halifax Mooseheads, so we’re in the market for a new d-coach in San Antonio.

Is... is that Jay McKee’s music I hear?

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I'm really excited about next seasons Rampage. I really like the signings they made. If you look at theit potential lines they could easily be one of the best AHL teams next season:

Walker - Vecchione - Kyrou
Kostin - Jackson - Poganski
Nolan - Olsen - Lappin
Polei - Stevens - Toropchenko
Kaspick/Darcy

Mikkola - Reinke
Pouliot - Schmaltz
LaLeggia - Dotchin
Walman

Husso
Fitzpatrick

And I'm not even couting on Erik Foley...
(I'm guessing Nastasiuk and Picchinich will probably start in Tulsa)

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Walman really behind of Pouliot and LaLeggia?

What happened Walman he was such a good at pre-season games last summer.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last season Walman mostly played on his offside on the third pairing next to Mikkola because others simply played better. I don't expect him to suddenly move to the first pairing. Last season LaLeggia was better and Pouliot has over 200 NHL games under his belt and is a potential 'number 7' on the Blues.

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012

A negative -31 with just about no offensive production happened to Walman.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Can I trouble you with one more? :) What's your opinion regarding Tanner Kaspick? He played around 40 games last season. Not very productive and I can't find any info regarding him.

He was ok. Didnt really stand out, but he was a rookie and still getting his feet wet. Plays with energy and skates decently. Not very skilled with the puck, but ok on a fore checking and cycling line.

Reactions: Wovenhand1976

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I really like that the Blues are finally caring about icing a solid AHL product, as getting these guys will definitely help the development of our younger prospects there.

I know they couldn’t really control much when they were with the Wolves, but it didn’t seem like they really tried when the team was in Peoria. Maybe it’s just sour grapes on my end with that, as the Rivermen were the reason I became a Blues fan as a kid, but oh well.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I really like that the Blues are finally caring about icing a solid AHL product, as getting these guys will definitely help the development of our younger prospects there.

I know they couldn’t really control much when they were with the Wolves, but it didn’t seem like they really tried when the team was in Peoria. Maybe it’s just sour grapes on my end with that, as the Rivermen were the reason I became a Blues fan as a kid, but oh well.

I guess it also helps when you have an owner that is willing to spend more in (everything attached to) the Blues organization. I also believe I read somewhere that we have total control over the Rampage transfers, contrary to when we had the Wolves as our AHL team.

I'm glad that after a lot of mediocre seasons I hope the Rampage fans will finally see their team being a contender.

I like their forwardgroup, there is a good chance there will be a couple of decent players moving to Tulsa. However, I do believe that we/the Rampage have to sign an extra goalie (so both Husso and Fitzpatrick can be starters in SA/Tulsa) and a defender (in case of injuries and if one of Dotchin, Schmaltz or Poulin will be picked up on waivers)

Reactions: CaliBlues710

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
He was ok. Didnt really stand out, but he was a rookie and still getting his feet wet. Plays with energy and skates decently. Not very skilled with the puck, but ok on a fore checking and cycling line.
He also sustained a concussion in pre-season that kept him out for half the season.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
So who is going to be the goalie tandem in the AHL this year? Husso & Fitzpatrick? Hofer? Devin Williams? They had 8 guys on their roster last year in net.

Hoping we've got someone that can challenge for the backup spot at the NHL-level so that we could consider trading Allen before his contract ends...especially if a playoff hopeful like Carolina, New Jersey or the Islanders stumble in nets. Unfortunately, I don't think the Blues have a viable back-up alternative at the NHL-level other than Allen, so the chances of dealing their own depth away are pretty slim...but stranger things have happened. Maybe Husso is working with the guy that got Binnington's career back on track this off-season. (Unlikely considering the affiliations, nationalities, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad