2019-20 Minor League Thread - Rampage/Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
I tweeted this earlier, but the common theme with these signings is "winning".

Nastasiuk won the Calder Cup with Charlotte
Piccinich won the Kelly Cup with Newfoundland
Vecchione was on a very good Lehigh Valley team edit: they weren't "very good"...disregard
Polei was on a powerhouse Bakersfield team

These guys won't blow you away with stats, but they have been ingrained in winning culture. Hopefully, they can bring that culture to San Antonio.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Fun fact: Nastusiak’s junior team was the Owen Sound Attack out of the OHL. His assistant coaches there were none other than Drew Bannister and the kingmaker Daniel Tkazcuk. So, a trusted player coming to help guide the team and show them how they want to play.

Big, big fan of all of these signings in their own way.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Fun fact: Nastusiak’s junior team was the Owen Sound Attack out of the OHL. His assistant coaches there were none other than Drew Bannister and the kingmaker Daniel Tkazcuk. So, a trusted player coming to help guide the team and show them how they want to play.

Big, big fan of all of these signings in their own way.
He was also a teammate of Binnington's in Owen Sound.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I think the Dotchin thing was a wake up call for him last year. Barbashev had a bad summer recently as well and turned it around.

Mikkola-Reinke
Pouliot-Dotchin
Walman-Schmaltz

That’s potentially a really good D-core for San Antonio this year.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
San Antonio will now be constructed with a core group of 4A pros and only solid prospects to learn from them. The marginal prospects (Musil et al) are being eliminated.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Hope to see a more competitive Rampage team next season, a lot of solid signings.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Crazy how much money we spent in the AHL last season and got so little out of it. The six signings we made yesterday will make less than Jeřábek and Thorburn in the AHL. Then there is another load of salary cleared with Soshnikov, Butler & Wotherspoon.

Wouldn't be surprised if we added another AHL/NHL tweener player.

Reactions: Blueston

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Solid write-up Nate! Definitely a shift in roster construction that hopefully brings some success to San Antonio. One minor thing, Pouliot was an 8th overall pick in 2012, not an 8th rounder.

Thanks. I fixed it. Had 8th overall on the brain, but fingers didnt agree.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Schmaltz in 3rd pair. I really liked how he played last season in Blues. I really believe what I've seen about him that he has potential to be PMD in NHL level and could be at least 2nd powerplay unite player at blueline.

I wouldn't cross his name yet away.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Organization goalie depth - what are the options?

a) Husso and vet in San Antonio, Fitzpatrick in Tulsa, Hofer loaned out ECHL
b) Husso and Fitzpatrick in San Antonio, Hofer in Tulsa

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Hofer will be going back to Portland, there’s no reason to graduate him yet. Husso and Fitzy will maybe be the tandem in San Antonio (and I think Fitz is ready for that duty), but in all likelihood we’ll sign somebody else for that role and send Fitz back to Tulsa to carry most of the workload there. Coreau could be back.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Isn't Hofer going back to the Winterhawks?

I do agree we need another AHL/ECHL goalie though (on a AHL-contract?). Maybe a guy like Stephen Dhillon who's currently a free agent and who has been a trainingcamp invite in the past. Also wouldn't mind an extra D. for the Rampage. Chase Priskie is still a FA, would love it if we could sign him on a ELC.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Hofer will be in juniors still. He is too young to play in AHL/ECHL.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Hofer will be going back to Portland, there’s no reason to graduate him yet. Husso and Fitzy will maybe be the tandem in San Antonio (and I think Fitz is ready for that duty), but in all likelihood we’ll sign somebody else for that role and send Fitz back to Tulsa to carry most of the workload there. Coreau could be back.
What about Williams? He was much better at Tulsa than Fitz was.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
What about Williams? He was much better at Tulsa than Fitz was.

It’s extremely hard to say that Williams was “much better” based on stats alone. Don’t forget that Fitz was our backup at the NHL level for like a week earlier this year. Obviously you’d like to see better stats out of him, but it was his first pro year and he was doing the ole’ Peoria Shuffle between St Louis, San Antonio, and Tulsa for a large portion of the year. He’s still learning how to be an adult, and while some guys have the preternatural ability to just glide through that, it takes some guys a bit longer to get used to living out of hotels, worrying about AHL vs ECHL salaries and accommodations, etc etc. Williams had the benefit of being through all of that already, and staying in one place for a vast majority of the season.

“Better” is just kind of subjective when it comes to goalies down the depth chart. I don’t think Fitzpatrick is the heir apparent by any means yet, but if you’ve got a spot to fill, and you want to do so internally, you put him there instead of Williams easily.

That said, if we’re looking for outside help, the following guys would be decent targets:
Fucale, McDonald, Appleby, McAdam, Halverson, or Wilcox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad