Recalled/Assigned: 2019-20 Lightning Roster Transactions

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Honestly not upset with him as a 7. He grew on me.

Me too. I think there's some value in that kind of toughness, even if it's not used. He looks like a deterrent. I'm not seeing the liberties taken with our guys, and particularly our goalies, as we have in years past.

Also, happy to see Stephens get his first game. Wonder where he'll fit.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

HOW THE HELL ARE YOU GONNA SEND HIM DOWN BUT KEEP JOSEPH UP!?

Joseph has earned his spot with better production in the AHL when they were rookies and a good first season in the NHL. Stephens like Volkov still hasn't blown the AHL away to were they don't need to be there. Right now in the role they want these kids to play neither of them are going to set the world on fire. Both are sound defensively and bring all effort. It's not a knock on Stephens as he played well he just didn't do enough to say we need to keep this kid up right now, same as Volkov. They are better off playing bigger minutes in Syracuse trying to round out their game.

Joseph is essentially the 12th forward right now so it's not like he's getting top minutes while struggling. Paquette and Maroon have 1 point in their last 10 games, Gourde with just 2. The entire bottom 6 is an offensive black hole at the moment. No need to put a Volkov or Stephens in that spot to just struggle like the rest of them.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Joseph has had a poor year for sure, but the What Have You Done For Me Lately crowd is really over the top on this one.

Funny how all of the sudden we're affording some patience to someone like Verhaeghe after stringing together a few good games, despite the fact that he is a couple years older with much more pro experience and a worse "pedigree". Not to mention doing absolutely nothing in the first 10-15 games or whatever. Yet he still hasn't produced to the extent of a struggling Joseph in his SECOND NHL season.

Now I could see Joseph becoming a more likely trade candidate than others, but this notion going around that he is somehow part of the problem or "is who he is" just makes me shake my head. Have some patience, jeezus.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Joseph has had a poor year for sure, but the What Have You Done For Me Lately crowd is really over the top on this one.

Funny how all of the sudden we're affording some patience to someone like Verhaeghe after stringing together a few good games, despite the fact that he is a couple years older with much more pro experience and a worse "pedigree". Not to mention doing absolutely nothing in the first 10-15 games or whatever. Yet he still hasn't produced to the extent of a struggling Joseph in his SECOND NHL season.

Now I could see Joseph becoming a more likely trade candidate than others, but this notion going around that he is somehow part of the problem or "is who he is" just makes me shake my head. Have some patience, jeezus.

Yeah, Joseph is struggling, like a lot of sophomores. About 75% of the players we bring up have a good "burst" when they play their first few games, but then they fade. Stephens is still in burst phase, so I think a lot of us are giving him too much credit.

I disagree on Verhaeghe. I don't think he's been awful, for a rookie. And he's shown some nice flashes. We can have a bit of a mob mentality here sometimes, and when a guy falls out of favor, he can suddenly do no right (also happening to Joseph right now). Verhaghe's one of the weaker players on the team, for sure, but we shouldn't risk losing him to waivers. Just rotate him in and out and hope he can find his touch.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Yeah, Joseph is struggling, like a lot of sophomores. About 75% of the players we bring up have a good "burst" when they play their first few games, but then they fade. Stephens is still in burst phase, so I think a lot of us are giving him too much credit.

I disagree on Verhaeghe. I don't think he's been awful, for a rookie. And he's shown some nice flashes. We can have a bit of a mob mentality here sometimes, and when a guy falls out of favor, he can suddenly do no right (also happening to Joseph right now). Verhaghe's one of the weaker players on the team, for sure, but we shouldn't risk losing him to waivers. Just rotate him in and out and hope he can find his touch.

I don't think Verhaeghe is awful, more just using him as an example of the apparent recency bias. I pretty much agree with you here, and definitely wouldn't want to lose Verhaeghe for nothing.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

While Joseph had some moments earlier in last season he has not done much since. As far as trading him the best we could hope for would be a 3rd rounder. Joseph has speed and that's where it ends. No ability to finish he gets knocked off the puck more times than not along the boards he ends up on his ass. His puck watching is dangerous to him and I am surprised he has not had a long term injury already. He does not really bring anything to the plate at this point. I would much prefer Stephens to get those minutes and if he can stick good if not you have to look at breaking up that 4th line and putting one of them on that 3rd line wing.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
While Joseph had some moments earlier in last season he has not done much since. As far as trading him the best we could hope for would be a 3rd rounder. Joseph has speed and that's where it ends. No ability to finish he gets knocked off the puck more times than not along the boards he ends up on his ass. His puck watching is dangerous to him and I am surprised he has not had a long term injury already. He does not really bring anything to the plate at this point. I would much prefer Stephens to get those minutes and if he can stick good if not you have to look at breaking up that 4th line and putting one of them on that 3rd line wing.

If Stephens started the year where Joseph was and played the same shifts he wouldn't be a 20 point player either. He might be a 10 point player, so a few point upgrade, he isn't some top 6 forward we are holding back, same for Volkov. These guys are bottom 6 players, maybe middle 6 if they get lucky one year. They aren't going to be putting up 50 point seasons, more like pre this year Killorn numbers at best but most likely 30+ points only.

Everyone seems to think that since they were a 2nd round pick that they could become the next Kucherov or a 3rd rounder turning into Point. If you watched them as prospects and saw their development you would know they had offensive limitations. It's the same with Namestnikov, he was a late 1st that people thought should be able to be a 1st liner. As a prospect you could tell he didn't have the offense to be that but that of a high end 3rd liner who could fill in the top 6 on occasion. Barre-Boulet and Foote are the only two I see with top 6 potential. Cajkovic and Raddysh have top 6 skill too but both have consistency issues and now Cajkovic has health issues. Most of our kids are bottom 6 types so we need to start lowering our expectations.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
TB management seems to be getting a bit more cutthroat with their guys. Benching Kucherov. Assigning Joseph.

These things would happen anyway if a new coach came in.
I think we're honestly seeing the management do what they can right now to save Coopers job. They cannot justify missing the playoffs and doing so absolutely will cost Cooper his job. They know it's now or never, so they may as well make the unpopular decisions to try and right the ship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad