Recalled/Assigned: 2019-20 Lightning Roster Transactions

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I think we're honestly seeing the management do what they can right now to save Coopers job. They cannot justify missing the playoffs and doing so absolutely will cost Cooper his job. They know it's now or never, so they may as well make the unpopular decisions to try and right the ship.
I promise you that management could give two sh*ts about saving Cooper's job. They want this team to win - period. We are fortunate to have owners that want success and is willing to pay for it. Has NOTHING to do with Cooper, I am certain of that.

Reactions: Zwui21

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I promise you that management could give two sh*ts about saving Cooper's job. They want this team to win - period. We are fortunate to have owners that want success and is willing to pay for it. Has NOTHING to do with Cooper, I am certain of that.

This is exactly it. Joseph going up and down is JBB with input from Coop. Kucherov being benched was Coop and probably the one redeeming thing he has done all year

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Agree to disagree. I think JBB absolutely has interest in Cooper keeping his job. He wants to show he didn't make a mistake by signing him to that extension and if he can get the course corrected on the team then he can continue to claim that. Whether we like it or not, consistent visits to the ECF is well worthy of keeping a coach around, even if the team carried him.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Agree to disagree. I think JBB absolutely has interest in Cooper keeping his job. He wants to show he didn't make a mistake by signing him to that extension and if he can get the course corrected on the team then he can continue to claim that. Whether we like it or not, consistent visits to the ECF is well worthy of keeping a coach around, even if the team carried him.

I agree. We may be tired of Coop but he has done well with this team. I think he deserves to see it through at least this season, unless we go south and it looks like we wont make the playoffs. Not many coaches/teams out there can say they went to the ECF 3 years out of 4 years with a cup final appearance and also won 62 games in a season. He would be hired very quickly. I get that voices get old but I think he deserves to see this season through. I for one think it would be really awesome to see Coop lift the cup after getting fairly close those times.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Any GM knows they only get to hire/extend so many coaches. JBB probably not eager to blow through his mulligan right away.

At the same time, JBB should be under just as much fire as Cooper. He hasn't done anything to separate himself from Yzerman, it seems like he's trying to be an Yzerman clone without a reputation behind him. His 2 seasons have now resulted in the most embarrassing sweep in history and an under performing season. His contract hits with Shattenkirk and Point is washed by the Vasilevskiy contract and his choice to deal Miller over a small forward.

I have a problem with how he played the Point deal because it's now known that he sat un-budged on his lowball offer the entire summer, had Point's side had not been so eager and adamant to re-sign with the Lightning this could have resulted badly. I never got the intent that Point's side was chasing outrageous money, they just wanted a fair deal from the start. Why bother taking the risk with a core player?

His next challenge is to navigate through the RFA's in Sergachev and Cirelli this season. I have a feeling both will be extremely difficult given our current situation.

Reactions: Fudge

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
At the same time, JBB should be under just as much fire as Cooper. He hasn't done anything to separate himself from Yzerman, it seems like he's trying to be an Yzerman clone without a reputation behind him. His 2 seasons have now resulted in the most embarrassing sweep in history and an under performing season. His contract hits with Shattenkirk and Point is washed by the Vasilevskiy contract and his choice to deal Miller over a small forward.

I have a problem with how he played the Point deal because it's now known that he sat un-budged on his lowball offer the entire summer, had Point's side had not been so eager and adamant to re-sign with the Lightning this could have resulted badly. I never got the intent that Point's side was chasing outrageous money, they just wanted a fair deal from the start. Why bother taking the risk with a core player?

His next challenge is to navigate through the RFA's in Sergachev and Cirelli this season. I have a feeling both will be extremely difficult given our current situation.
I see where you are coming from but the bottom line is this: How do we know that Yzerman is some kind of personnel genius all by himself? JBB was his right hand man from the start so we don't really know how much influence he did or didn't have on decisions Yzerman made. I also think it's too early to say the Vasi contract is a bust OR that the Miller trade is bad. Vasi can play himself right back into form and a lottery pick in the '21 draft is still in play for Miller.

I have no issue with the way he handled the Point deal. Point was injured and he knew that. Therefore, it wasn't critical to get it done ASAP as he knew Point wasn't going to be ready for training camp anyway.

Because of these things, I have total faith he's going to re-sign, not just Sergachev and Cirelli, but also lock up Cernak as well. Have faith Bolts brothers and sisters. Brighter days are on the horizon.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Any GM knows they only get to hire/extend so many coaches. JBB probably not eager to blow through his mulligan right away.
I could see the Lightning operating like the Perds. David Poile has been there since expansion. His choice of successor will probably be the one to take over for him.

The problem that guys in the C-level might not recognize is that when you change the GM or the coach, you're also often accepting a change in the identity of the team and could be setting them back with the constant restarts. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if it were easier to move guys, but you really lock in the top players you've got for a long time.

JBB should get 5-years though before any kind of fan assessment can be made, IMO.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I kind of like this move, could be a wakeup call. Had no idea he was still eligible to be sent down without waivers. I could be way off but he almost looks smaller/leaner this season (which seems impossible), and still seems like a kid out there at times. I doubt this AHL stint will last more than a few weeks but who knows...good opportunity for Stephens now though.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Do you think the bolts are trying to showcase him for a later trade?

With him not really progressing as a prospect, not looking good in his NHL stint earlier this season and the injury to start the year I don't see much value in him for a trade. I'm not saying he isn't worth anything but this is a bad time to be trading him when his value is probably the lowest. I have no problem trading him, Joseph or really any Crunch forward besides Barre-Boulet, I just don't think their values are at all good with how bad a lot of them have been this season. So if we are adding them to a trade they aren't going to be a key piece in it more a throw in, which is why I would not do that and hope they can rebound next year. I just can't see Volkov taking off in this call up to where he would be a trade chip.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think management sees him as Palat's stunt double.

2 goals in 25 games in Syracuse?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
With him not really progressing as a prospect, not looking good in his NHL stint earlier this season and the injury to start the year I don't see much value in him for a trade. I'm not saying he isn't worth anything but this is a bad time to be trading him when his value is probably the lowest. I have no problem trading him, Joseph or really any Crunch forward besides Barre-Boulet, I just don't think their values are at all good with how bad a lot of them have been this season. So if we are adding them to a trade they aren't going to be a key piece in it more a throw in, which is why I would not do that and hope they can rebound next year. I just can't see Volkov taking off in this call up to where he would be a trade chip.

What do you project for him? My expectations got lower after seeing him in the preseason. I guess I didn't really have expectations, but it looked like his skating would have to improve a crazy amount for his style to be effective in the NHL.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
According to Engblom, Groulx said Stephens had been the best player on Syracuse just prior to his callup, even though the numbers didn't look great at first glance. For those who watch the Crunch regularly, has Volkov "earned" this callup? Because it does seem a bit showcase-ey.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
According to Engblom, Groulx said Stephens had been the best player on Syracuse just prior to his callup, even though the numbers didn't look great at first glance. For those who watch the Crunch regularly, has Volkov "earned" this callup? Because it does seem a bit showcase-ey.
No he doesn’t deserve it. Not even close he is hardly noticeable on the crunch.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What do you project for him? My expectations got lower after seeing him in the preseason. I guess I didn't really have expectations, but it looked like his skating would have to improve a crazy amount for his style to be effective in the NHL.

I always thought he could be a Killorn type 15g 40p two way winger. I think people got carried away when he came in as a rookie and looked great in camp and preseason. They had no idea who he was and he showed off some good skills which people assumed would mean he was a top 6 player. He just never had the production in the past to make those claims, he was never a big time scorer. His rookie year he had me thinking he could be top 6 with how well he played and some of the goals he scored. He just never developed from there and has gone a little stale in his play. With the offense slowing down he needed to improve his off the puck play which he hasn't, Stephens did this when his offense dried up. I really have no idea anymore what type of player he could be because he doesn't have one skill that screams NHL quality that you can live with the rest. He probably can stick as a bottom 6 player if he gets more consistent but I also could see him going to Russia to try to refind his game because it seems the AHL isn't helping him anymore.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I always thought he could be a Killorn type 15g 40p two way winger. I think people got carried away when he came in as a rookie and looked great in camp and preseason. They had no idea who he was and he showed off some good skills which people assumed would mean he was a top 6 player. He just never had the production in the past to make those claims, he was never a big time scorer. His rookie year he had me thinking he could be top 6 with how well he played and some of the goals he scored. He just never developed from there and has gone a little stale in his play. With the offense slowing down he needed to improve his off the puck play which he hasn't, Stephens did this when his offense dried up. I really have no idea anymore what type of player he could be because he doesn't have one skill that screams NHL quality that you can live with the rest. He probably can stick as a bottom 6 player if he gets more consistent but I also could see him going to Russia to try to refind his game because it seems the AHL isn't helping him anymore.

Haha, pretty sure you're talking Volkov here. I was curious about your thoughts on ABB though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad