Salary Cap: 2019-20 - Leafs Salary Cap issues and adjustments?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The team with the youngest core of all contender teams have their window to win close in their third competitive season? When almost all important players are under 25?

That's among the dumbest things I've heard.
contenders? what are they contending for, winning a round in the playoffs?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Lou's plan did not include overpaying the big 3 when he signed Marleau and Z. I blame Shanny and Dubas who are the two constants.
I'd add that having Mathews fall into their laps and Marner's quick development were unexpected bonus that sped up the need for said cap room.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Unpopular sequence

Kapanen to Canes at draft for TVR + one of their top 60 picks
Brown to Oilers at draft for 3rd
Marleau to Sharks retained 50% for future considerations
Johnsson to highest bidder or offersheet (0 cap implication return)
Re-sign Marner 11x7
Re-sign hainsey 1.5x1

Moore-Tavares-Marner
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
xxx- Kadri-Bracco
xxx-Gauthier-xxx
Petan

Rielly-TVR
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljegren
Hainsey

2.95- 3.45 to fill the x's (depending on 82.5-83 million dollar cap), for sake of argument say Korshkov to 4th line LW, leaving 2+ for a couple of McGinn, Hathaway, Paajarvi, Sheahan, Acciari, Smith-Pelly.

Play the stars, trust our development system to fill in the gaps.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You're saying that the Maple Leafs haven't ****ed things up over and over and over again since pretty much any of us were alive?

Are you the one joking?
upload_2019-5-4_14-17-45.png

It’s all good.

Reactions: rumman

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
a) Elite players get paid big regardless if they've won a cup. Happens all over the league and it's not a big deal
b) I don't have time for people complaining that we didn't win a cup when our young players were in their ELC

A) no other player gets in the top 5 for salaries without a major award or some very good post season success. Matthew's has a Calder.

B) I dont even care that we didn't win the cup while the 3 were on elc's. That's not what bothers me.

The fact that we lost in the first round 3 times in a row, twice to Boston is what bothers me.

The fact that only a couple leaf players are still on this team from 2013 and yet Boston is still in our heads bothers me.

I really hope nylander, auston and marner become bargains as they keep progressing. But it is very high risk, low reward.

Every single player in the top 15 highest salaries has won either a major award or won a cup. While we are going to have most likely 2 players in that group who have none of those.

Maybe it's just me but this was probably the most disappointing season I have seen.

What? None of the teams are in the playoffs right now. I want to watch and follow the teams in the present/future. What happened 2 years ago is irrelevant to now.

their . Star cores during times of cap circumventing contracts are irrelevant to right now.

Crosby did NOT win a cup on his elc. He took what 17.5 percent of the cap? How is that better?

The leafs have a much better core now. And have a chance to do so in the future. In my opinion. I would not change having a core of under 25 stars right now for under 35 like Chicago and Pitt

If you have any understanding of the history of Chicago and Pitt. You would know what might be coming......’Chicago was the biggest joke in the league. They traded hasek AND lost Belfour for jimmy Waite.

They weren’t even on TV!

Pitt has had a stream of hall of famers for 20 years and if they aren’t in the playoffs the team are on life support. There will be rumours of them moving to Hamilton in 5 years.

If you want to relive the glory days and watch re runs of old cups. That’s up to you I guess. But then again you might want to keep following the leafs. We have more than both those teams put together

Now you are just being silly.

So if the leafs won the cup this year, by October it wouldn't matter to you? Come on

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
6 ways Leafs GM Dubas could make Tavares-sized splash this off-season - Sportsnet.ca
Firing Mike Babcock. Removing the Leafs’ confident, decorated alpha-dog four years before the most expensive coaching contract in NHL history expires? Well, that would certainly take guts. That Dubas didn’t offer an endorsement of his coaching staff when given the opportunity last week raises eyebrows.

Trading William Nylander. Think of DeMar DeRozan being blindsided by the Kawhi Leonard deal, then try not to remember Nylander saying Dubas assured him he wouldn’t be moved as long as he was steering the ship. The team believes in the player. Nylander is much better than his 2018-19 suggests, which is precisely why he could yield a bounty if traded.

Disposing of the Patrick Marleau contract. Dubas is no stranger to the analytics of Father Time. The GM has yet to trade for or sign anyone in their 30s, which is partly why he let a handful of Lou Lamoriello veterans walk last summer, and why Tyler Ennis, 29, and Ron Hainsey, 38, are heading out the door now. (Nikita Zaitsev is scheduled to be a Leaf through age 32, and already Dubas has entertained dealing him.) Ruthlessly dekeing around the final year of 39-year-old legend Marleau’s cap-impeding contract? In some corners of Leafs Nation, that would be a win of Tavares-esque proportions.

Playing hardball with Mitch Marner. The regret Dubas has owned for letting the Nylander saga drag on till the 11th hour is written all over an Auston Matthews contract that has a franchise centre hitting his walk year at age 26. Marner’s work this season has put him in position to at least ask for the same. The team and player love each other. Does Dubas call bluff on the vague threat of an offer sheet and prey on Marner’s comfort level as a hometown hero?

Chasing a marquee free agent we don’t see coming. Logic says Toronto has enough issues with its own UFAs and RFAs. No doubt, pursuing a big-ticket option outside of that would require some corresponding salary clearing. But is there a pie-in-the-sky way to lure a Tyler Myers, Jeff Skinner, Wayne Simmonds, Kevin Hayes or Joe Pavelski?

Launching a trade bomb to finally solve the right-handed defenceman problem. Dubas certainly has a variety of assets he could use (Jeremy Bracco, Timothy Liljegren, Andreas Johnsson, Kasperi Kapanen), and finding a partner willing to rattle his own roster might not be as difficult as you think.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Is it just me or is this place more disappointed/ frustrated this offseason than in the last 10+ years?

Not sure if it's the Trump age we live in now or what's going on but this is as critical I've seen our Leafs section since I've been here....and we're coming off of back to back 100 point seasons.

Believe it or not but we had much wider support here for the Burke and Nonis teams and a very, very dedicated group of posters that would push back against ANY criticism of those teams.

Imagine that.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Unpopular sequence

Re-sign Marner 11x7
Re-sign hainsey 1.5x1

Moore-Tavares-Marner
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
xxx- Kadri-Bracco
xxx-Gauthier-xxx
Petan

Rielly-TVR
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljegren
Hainsey

2.95- 3.45 to fill the x's (depending on 82.5-83 million dollar cap), for sake of argument say Korshkov to 4th line LW, leaving 2+ for a couple of McGinn, Hathaway, Paajarvi, Sheahan, Acciari, Smith-Pelly.

sadly Hainsey will get offers with both more term and dollars, he'll be missed once he's gone.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The fact that we lost in the first round 3 times in a row, twice to Boston is what bothers me.

There you go again on your “points in a season” argument, while forgetting how these kids perform when actually on the ice.

I get it, you care a lot about what other team fans will think of you, and of course they’ll bring up Matthews injuries and losing to Boston. When you mature a bit you’ll hopefully care less about that crap and just focus on what makes you happy and how these players really are.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You're saying that the Maple Leafs haven't ****ed things up over and over and over again since pretty much any of us were alive?

Are you the one joking?
started when Ballad/Smyth Jr/Basset bought the team and continues to this day.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We can part ways with one of Nylander, Johnsson or Kapanen if necessary.

Bracco is fantastic.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
A) no other player gets in the top 5 for salaries without a major award or some very good post season success. Matthew's has a Calder.

B) I dont even care that we didn't win the cup while the 3 were on elc's. That's not what bothers me.

The fact that only a couple leaf players are still on this team from 2013 and yet Boston is still in our heads bothers me.

I really hope nylander, auston and marner become bargains as they keep progressing. But it is very high risk, low reward.

Every single player in the top 15 highest salaries has won either a major award or won a cup. While we are going to have most likely 2 players in that group who have none of those.

Maybe it's just me but this was probably the most disappointing season I have seen.

Now you are just being silly.

So if the leafs won the cup this year, by October it wouldn't matter to you? Come on

What? They didn’t. The point is. The leafs are on a better trajectory NOW. They didn’t win the cup. These teams are on the down swing with their stars.

They are staring down the barrel of a rebuild and the last time this happened they were both in disastrous states for a decade.

That’s a way worse position now
And probably for the next decade.

Unless what you want to go back in time and trade our roster for the hawks in 2008? Is that what you are saying? Time travel doesn’t exist.

Why someone would trade a young core for an old core with less chance to win is bizarre

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
sadly Hainsey will get offers with both more term and dollars, he'll be missed once he's gone.

Maybe, he's pretty old and in a pretty good/ comfortable spot. We could afford to top him up with some PB's with cap hit deferred to next season if necessary, but in any case he's a nice to have insurance policy, not a have to have

Reactions: rumman

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Unpopular sequence

Re-sign Marner 11x7
Re-sign hainsey 1.5x1

Moore-Tavares-Marner
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
xxx- Kadri-Bracco
xxx-Gauthier-xxx
Petan

Rielly-TVR
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljegren
Hainsey

An arbitration eligible RFA getting offersheeted?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad