Post 2013 Lockout Forward Tournament Tier 1, Round 3: Connor McDavid Versus Brayden Point

Which Player Would You Rather Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Since the players involved are at different stages of their careers, the best way to vote is probably by answering this question: If I was a General Manager and I could draft one player for my team (having the knowledge that I have about each player at this point in time), which player would I choose?

Some are more accomplished than others and some have been more injury-prone than others, but under different circumstances, how different could things have been?

Tier 1, Round 1:

Connor McDavid (52 votes to 4 - 92.9%)
Connor Bedard

Nathan MacKinnon (25 votes to 21 - 54.3%
Nikita Kucherov

Auston Matthews (62 votes to 33 - 65.3%)
Leon Draisaitl

Elias Pettersson (32 votes to 27 - 54.2%)
Jack Hughes

Jack Eichel
Aleksander Barkov (16 votes to 0 - 100%)

Kirril Kaprizov (39 votes to 27 - 59.1%)

Mikko Rantanen

David Pastrnak (23 votes to 8 - 74.2%)
Artemi Panarin

Mitch Marner
Brayden Point (19 votes to 8 - 70.4%)

Tier 1, Round 2:

Kirril Kaprizov
David Pastrnak (18 votes to 6 - 75%)

Brayden Point (15 votes to 12 - 55.6%)

Elias Pettersson

Aleksander Barkov
Auston Matthews (32 votes to 16 - 66.7%)

Connor McDavid (45 votes to 3 - 93.8%)

Nathan MacKinnon

Tier 1, Round 3:

David Pastrnak
Auston Matthews

Connor McDavid
Brayden Point

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Someone will vote Point because of Stanley cups. lol
Two cups while scoring 56 points along the way for the team that drafted him. McDavid's best two years so far equal 53 points without a cup. On the other hand he's a year younger and Point hasn't had quite as strong playoff performances the last few years. But at this point his contributions have undeniably led to bigger achievements for his team.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Two cups while scoring 56 points along the way for the team that drafted him. McDavid's best two years so far equal 53 points without a cup. On the other hand he's a year younger and Point hasn't had quite as strong playoff performances the last few years. But at this point his contributions have undeniably led to bigger achievements for his team.
if you switch out point(0.99ppg playoffs)for mcdavid (1.59ppg playoffs) on that team do they get worse and go cupless?

That is an absolutely massive difference in production. In 34 less games they’re almost neck and neck in points

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
if you switch out point(0.99ppg playoffs)for mcdavid (1.59ppg playoffs) on that team do they get worse and go cupless?

That is an absolutely massive difference in production. In 34 less games they’re almost neck and neck in points
Who knows, in the one reality we have Point won both times and McDavid neither. He also scored 10 more goals so those would have to be replaced somehow. Would McDavid win more if he was feeding Stamkos instead of Draisaitl and Hyman?

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Who knows, in the one reality we have Point won both times and McDavid neither. He also scored 10 more goals so those would have to be replaced somehow. Would McDavid win more if he was feeding Stamkos instead of Draisaitl and Hyman?
Hahah have a good one

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Now do games played cause it makes this nonsense post fall apart.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Now do games played cause it makes this nonsense post fall apart.
The Oilers lost both series in less than seven games, I doubt playing more games would have changed anything. Certainly not against Colorado when they were swept in four.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
The Oilers lost both series in less than seven games, I doubt playing more games would have changed anything. Certainly not against Colorado when they were swept in four.
Yeah I clearly wasnt talking about your points argument Einstein

Reactions: capazzo

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yeah I clearly wasnt talking about your points argument Einstein
A GM should prioritize team success over almost everything else. The last time Tampa had a top 10 draft pick was before Point was drafted in 2014, yet they have achieved a lot more in recent years than the Oilers who had great lottery luck in the 2010s and have built uncompromisingly around McDavid, yet barely anything has come out of it so far. Made the conference finals once, only to get swept there. Granted, Point even as the unchallenged 1C is not really the one singular central piece in Tampa, but building around McDavid wouldn't do them any good either. And as of now I can't see him taking a more selfless Point-like role for the team. In the future who knows, Yzerman did it and started winning in his 30s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad