2019-20 Kings News/Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Kings are a Doughty that gives a damn, and then another 3 top 4D away from being relevant again. Unfortunately, it might be the toughest position to fill. If Bjornfot, Anderson, and one of Walker/Roy are that, great. You never know. At one time the future defense was being built around Johnson and Hickey, and then Doughty, and only one of them was left by the time the team got out of the 1st round. The Nordiques traded all three consecutive #1 picks, Sundin, Nolan, and Lindros, before they won. There's no script to this stuff.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Anyone who witnessed a blueline featuring the likes of Steven Finn, John Slaney, Doug Zmolek, Aki Berg, Rob Cowie, Chris Snell, Arto Blomsten, Ruslan Batyrshin, Denis Tsygurov, should know what bad is.

While there isn’t much good about the current Kings, there’s been much worse, and there’s no f*cking way they finish with their worst record in 40 years. They no longer have Forbort playing top pairing minutes to help accomplish that.

Finishing in a position to draft a franchise player is what helped turn this franchise around in 2008. The team being put in that position is a step in the right direction.

Tsygurov passed away. So did Potomski, Potvin and Tspy.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Was Forbort an off the board pick?

I think he was more or less viewed as a “safe” pick, which is funny when you consider the fact that they avoided drafting Karl Alzner for that very reason. Same goes for Teubert being viewed as a “safe” selection because they thought he was some physical beast and a future Matt Greene. How wrong they were.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I think he was more or less viewed as a “safe” pick, which is funny when you consider the fact that they avoided drafting Karl Alzner for that very reason. Same goes for Teubert being viewed as a “safe” selection because they thought he was some physical beast and a future Matt Greene. How wrong they were.
Right, but it wasn't off the board. Hickey deserves all the criticism it gets because of how much a gamble it was at #5. But I find it weird to hold GMs accountable for not being Nostradamus with players when they're rated in that pick range.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

I've thought about Alzner a few times and where he would've fit in during the championship years had they drafted him. He was a stay at home dman, so does DL still sign Mitchell or Scuds? Where would Dreweske fit then.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Anyone who witnessed a blueline featuring the likes of Steven Finn, John Slaney, Doug Zmolek, Aki Berg, Rob Cowie, Chris Snell, Arto Blomsten, Ruslan Batyrshin, Denis Tsygurov, should know what bad is.

While there isn’t much good about the current Kings, there’s been much worse, and there’s no f*cking way they finish with their worst record in 40 years. They no longer have Forbort playing top pairing minutes to help accomplish that.

Finishing in a position to draft a franchise player is what helped turn this franchise around in 2008. The team being put in that position is a step in the right direction.
I liked Finn.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Wasn't it Finn that had that nasty concussion where his head hit the ice after falling during a fight?

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Wasn't it Finn that had that nasty concussion where his head hit the ice after falling during a fight?
He got cut in the back with Kylo Ren's lightsaber

latest

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Today, Wednesday, is actually a big day for the organization....Blake stated in his most recent interview that Yannetti is in town and they are meeting Wednesday and going to go over his draft list.
While the Kings do not know where they will end up. post lottery draw, they know they will be in the 1-8 range for sure. Plus, they now have 3 second rounders,
from 33-50. I am sure Yannetti has a group of prospects they feel they can nab in the second round.
They will also be going over the 2018 and 2019 drafts and about where those prospects are, in their growth this season. Maybe the scouting
staff will also have unearthed an undrafted, college free agent, or potential Euro to try to target to sign as well.

I am hoping this meeting is frutiful.

Go Kings! (remember that?)

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
AKA the guy Lombardi thought was a better choice than Tarasenko.

AKA the guy Lombardi thought was a better choice than Voracek, Couture, McDonough, etc.

Hindsight is 20/20, but better yet, unless you were here staking your claim that Forbort shouldn't have been drafted where he was when it happened back in 2010, you don't get to say shit about it now.

Was Forbort an off the board pick?

TSN rank had him at 10th overall - we took him at 15th.

As @Jericho111091 mentioned he was the 2nd rated best USA defenseman in the draft. Fowler was taken 12th overall.

Reactions: YP44

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I think there are a couple things to keep in mind. Yes, Alzner was the safer pick, but more so than that, he was a "what you see is what you get".

Forbort was a consensus and relatively safe pick, but with his size, also had a bit of a project tag to him.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
And the 3 Cali team traded away a lot of guys to make them suck even more. The Ducks traded 6 guys and going for the suck hard. I was surprised Getzlaf wasn't moved.

Almost 35, NMC, $8.25m hit next year, $6m in cash, and has a Cup. Why would he pick up and go anywhere? Maybe next deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad