2019-20 Kings News/Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I think the only difference as to why they chose one over the other was Forbort was a 1st round pick , and they put a lot more into him.
At the time Forbort was playing his best hockey, and McNabb was playing some of his worst. Both had fairly small sample sizes so it wasn’t an easy choice to make back then. It was 100% the wrong choice in hindsight.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

Crownroyal21

Mar 19, 2019
The obvious answer to some of these questions is, its too early to tell because we don't know what those picks are going to turn into. We can use them all and have an overflowing cupboard of prospects, we can package some to move up and get 'our guy', we can package some in a trade to bring in established NHLers, etc. One thing i'd like to grade Blake on next season or two is if he re-signs any dead weight. Bringing back Lewis for example, shows me that there is still some lingering nostalgia/good old boys feelings going on in the front office. Bringing back a Clifford is easier to stomach since hes still a more useful player but this team desperately needs new blood, whether that's young blood or just different veterans doesn't really matter to me. We need change desperately, and hopefully we continue to drop the old guard as contracts expire or they become trade able and continue to turn the roster over to something new.
You are right . It’s too wallet to tell.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
At the time Forbort was playing his best hockey, and McNabb was playing some of his worst. Both had fairly small sample sizes so it wasn’t an easy choice to make back then. It was 100% the wrong choice in hindsight.

I agree, it certainly wasn't easy. McNabb was still coming back from injury, so yea, he was definitely way off his usual self. But even a cursory glance at both players WOWY screamed that Forbort was dragging Doughty down. Either they didn't do their homework or there was another reason, such as thinking McNabb might take too much of the cap. McNabb wasn't that much better in Vegas, obviously he missed the PED boat there :laugh:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Hey guys.why is it so negative? Two cups. They sacrificed the future for two cups. We got some guys down there. I’m saying next year they make the playoffs.

I see your new here lol this fan group is full of doom and gloom posters who love nothing more then focusing on the negative aspects of the Kings I would be careful posting to many positive posts as they will not go over well :sarcasm: but you will find out soon enough, welcome to the boards

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It really is remarkable to look at the various areas where the team stagnated, and we constantly talked about how the lack of player development would set the team back for years, and that's exactly what's happened. Who replaced Voynov, Scuderi, Mitchell, Greene, Regehr, etc? Derek Forbort, and he only had one full season where he looked impressive, then things went downhill for him and the team.

Over the last year, Muzzin and Martinez were added to that list of departed defensemen, and now the only defenseman remaining from the Cup runs is Drew Doughty. The likes of the likes of Forbort, LaDue and Gravel never developed into the players the organization thought they would become, and the only ones to come up internally after all these years who remain Kings are Matt Roy, Sean Walker, and Kurtis MacDermid.

At least now there is some hope with Tobias Bjornfot, Mikey Anderson, Kale Clague, Cole Hults, etc. who have the potential to be more than just filler defensemen.

I'd say needed to become more than thought. Forbort I could put into the thought category, mid 1st rd pick and all that, but guys like LaDue or Gravel are 5th and 6th round picks. You're not thinking they'll become players. You hope they do, as it gives you that much more to work with, but we'll see how the next group comes along.

Out of 12 defensemen picked between 2006 and 2009, three made it, and one of them was a no brainer at 2nd overall.

The only bummer is the Kings dealt away a lot of hole grown talent. Toffoli was a 2nd rounder, Forbort was a 1st, Martinez was a 4th and Clifford was a 2nd.

So basically, Kings will draft you, develop you and then dump you after your first two contracts.

Good satire is blurry. You never know where the line is. I don't know what you're doing here, but I think I like it. Clifford was on his 3rd contract though, as was Forbort, as was Toffoli, and Martinez was on his 4th.

Inbound? No.

That's a great quote. You never know what's truly true, but people need to relax with the trade Carter stuff. There was and will likely be no time where trading Carter will bring back rebuilding level potential. The best they probably could've done, from 2015 to today, was break even. There's no 1st coming back for a 30+ year old signed for a million years.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
He played/and was used in a different way in MTL than LA which drove his stock up.

Isn't that sort of a damning indictment of whatever the Kings current system and culture though? It's not like LA is scoring 5 goals a game and needed everyone to chip in defensively. Kovi was probably the biggest offensive talent they had and instead of giving him PP time and top 6 minutes, they put him in a 3rd line role with a bunch of raw young players and wanted him to be the stabilizing veteran presence? That is the very idea of fitting a square peg in a round hole. That is fully on Blake and TMac for not adapting to the personnel they had.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
One interesting thing about Blake's deal this years is they are mostly within division (other than Clifford and Campbell). I am assuming this is because these teams offered the most for our players which is the right approach to have IMO. But what is curious to me is why Vancouver and Vegas offered more than other teams. Is it because they see LA more than other teams, is it just coincidence or did Blake just deal with teams reverse alphabetical style.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
So now that the TDL has passed, next thing to look forward too is the lottery right? Of course the NHL is a gong show and it’s impossible to find the date for some reason...

Reactions: YP44

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
One interesting thing about Blake's deal this years is they are mostly within division (other than Clifford and Campbell). I am assuming this is because these teams offered the most for our players which is the right approach to have IMO. But what is curious to me is why Vancouver and Vegas offered more than other teams. Is it because they see LA more than other teams, is it just coincidence or did Blake just deal with teams reverse alphabetical style.
Or maybe the players wanted to go to those destinations and Blake tried to get as much as possible while doing them a solid? Who knows?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
So now that the TDL has passed, next thing to look forward too is the lottery right? Of course the NHL is a gong show and it’s impossible to find the date for some reason...

I don't think they have it yet. Usually it is what after the first round?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Isn't that sort of a damning indictment of whatever the Kings current system and culture though? It's not like LA is scoring 5 goals a game and needed everyone to chip in defensively. Kovi was probably the biggest offensive talent they had and instead of giving him PP time and top 6 minutes, they put him in a 3rd line role with a bunch of raw young players and wanted him to be the stabilizing veteran presence? That is the very idea of fitting a square peg in a round hole. That is fully on Blake and TMac for not adapting to the personnel they had.

The bottom line is that the Kings are a really bad team and Kovy is what he is.

Kovy was at a 22G/48P pace with Montreal compared with a 14G/43P pace for the Kings this year. That's a big difference in goals but points aren't that far off. Montreal is a better team and has scored almost 40 goals more than the Kings this season, yet his points pace is not that much higher. If you look at last season, he was on a 21G/43P pace.

He is what he is. He's supposedly a square peg in a square hole in Montreal and his pace isn't that much better than here and that is with 3 more minutes of ice time and on a team with more skill. Hell, he has no goals in his last seven games and only one point over that stretch, further cementing the fact that he starts strong but fades because he is old. He obviously has talent: he is Ilya Kovalchuk. He can ride the bike all he wants after a game but that doesn't change the fact that he has now basically started hot three seasons in a row (he had a mini off-season before MTL) and then falls off the map. He works hard to be in shape but Father Time always wins.

It wouldn't matter where they played him here in LA: they suck and would suck regardless. He'd still be a borderline 20G/40P guy on a horrible team. Eddie Olczyk was a 20/20 guy in ~70 games for the '97 Kings. Who cares? There is still an aura surrounding his name and a lot of people--not saying you--still bemoaning the fact that it "went down the way it did" and "it's not his fault" while, at the same time, carrying torches and pitchforks for Toffoli who is far and away a better player.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015

I'm looking forward to the up to 4 callups from the Reign. Let's see what some of those guys have got.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
stop it get some help

I mean, it's physically possible. Is it likely? No, but you never know.

Maybe the Kings actually somehow land Lafreniere. They have a lot of cap space so maybe then they sign 2-3 very good UFAs on bridge deals to fill holes. Maybe Vilardi has a monster year (plenty of Canucks fans wanted him picked over Pettersson at the draft so he has that potential). Maybe Bjornfot steps up and has a solid year. Maybe Clague improves defensively and becomes a solid offensive d-man who can run the 2nd PP unit.

Obviously a lot of maybe's, but all of those things could legitimately happen. It's easy to be negative about everything and just automatically assume nothing will go right, but that doesn't make it wrong to be optimistic. Of course the safe bet is to say they're going to be bad again next year but honestly who knows what happens between now and October. They could be next years New York Rangers or even better. Or they could be next years Detroit. Just going to have to wait and see.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean, it's physically possible. Is it likely? No, but you never know.

Maybe the Kings actually somehow land Lafreniere. They have a lot of cap space so maybe then they sign 2-3 very good UFAs on bridge deals to fill holes. Maybe Vilardi has a monster year (plenty of Canucks fans wanted him picked over Pettersson at the draft so he has that potential). Maybe Bjornfot steps up and has a solid year. Maybe Clague improves defensively and becomes a solid offensive d-man who can run the 2nd PP unit.

Obviously a lot of maybe's, but all of those things could legitimately happen. It's easy to be negative about everything and just automatically assume nothing will go right, but that doesn't make it wrong to be optimistic. Of course the safe bet is to say they're going to be bad again next year but honestly who knows what happens between now and October. They could be next years New York Rangers or even better. Or they could be next years Detroit. Just going to have to wait and see.

The real X factor here is that the PACIFIC SUCKS

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

It was April 9th last year, April 28th the year before.......so who the Frk knows.

Probably the Tuesday after the season ends (April 7th) right before the playoffs start on that Wednesday. They changed it back to how it used to be last season after scouts complained that they'd waste time scouting certain guys in April only to have the lottery change the order.

When Sportsnet got the NHL rights in 2015, they wanted to make the McDavid lottery a big deal and they shifted it to a Saturday drawing. Then in 2016, they had a worst case scenario with every Canadian team missing the playoffs. So they pushed the lottery back until late April in an attempt to lure viewers to tune into a game they otherwise wouldn't care about.

They kept it late April for a few more years as a result before they moved it back last year. I remember in 2017 when the Devils moved up from the #5 spot that our head scout kinda went out of his way to name drop Cody Glass in later interviews. Almost an implied "I needlessly wasted a few weekends in April following him around."

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I'm looking forward to the up to 4 callups from the Reign. Let's see what some of those guys have got.

3 call ups now, since Petersen was brought back up. Emergency call ups to make roster minimums don't count though, so it's possible there could be more than 3. In fact, maybe that Petersen call up can be considered an emergency recall (don't know the rules on that at the trade deadline so I just may have contradicted my entire post). Look for Mikey Anderson soon.

Reactions: Stimpythecat

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
3 call ups now, since Petersen was brought back up. Emergency call ups to make roster minimums don't count though, so it's possible there could be more than 3. In fact, maybe that Petersen call up can be considered an emergency recall (don't know the rules on that at the trade deadline so I just may have contradicted my entire post). Look for Mikey Anderson soon.

Don't think Petersen can be considered Emergency, I believe you have to be able to show that roster shortage was caused by illness, injury, suspension etc. Given that we deliberately went down to 1 goalie by sending Petersen down we can't call it an emergency call up.

Reactions: regulate

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad