2019-20 Kings News/Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
With the season upon us and the off-season over with, might as well kick start it with a new thread.

And with this first thread, I'll propose an idea.

What do you guys think of acquiring Jack Johnson and a first round pick from the Pittsburgh Penguins for Ilya Kovalchuk?

Kovalchuk has two years left on his contract (including this season) at $6.25M.
Johnson has four years left on his contract (including this season) at $3.25M.

Of course, taking on Jack Johnson for four years is a bit of a stiff cost, but adding a first round pick while getting out of the Kovalchuk contract is the added bonus.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Doubt the Penguins would do that, and tying ourselves to Johnson for four years is a scary thought.

Reactions: andys

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
We saw the Leafs dump Marleau’s contract at the cost of a 1st. The Penguins picked 21st in the most recent draft, and it’s been said that the 2020 draft class will be even deeper.

And if you do the math, buying out Johnson’s contract would save a ton of cap space. The idea is to rid Kovalchuk and gain a 1st in the process, Jack is the extra baggage that would come with getting rid of Kovalchuk, but his buyout wouldn’t be too restrictive for a rebuilding squad.

Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Jack Johnson? He’s really bad now and Kings are loaded at D.

Most media guys seem to think the Kings give Kovy one more full year and deal him over the summer with the only one year left on his deal.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
With the season upon us and the off-season over with, might as well kick start it with a new thread.

What do you guys think of acquiring Jack Johnson and a first round pick from the Pittsburgh Penguins for Ilya Kovalchuk?

Of course, taking on Jack Johnson for four years is a bit of a stiff cost, but adding a first round pick while getting out of the Kovalchuk contract is the added bonus.

Hell no, we have 'MF's' on the team already, plus i doubt the pens would be that keen on wearing Kovalchuck if they are already dishing their 1st

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
That ain’t happening. There's probably a guy on the pens thread saying, what do you say we rid JJ for Kovalchuk and a first. You could probably trade even up

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's definitely a pipe dream to get out of a bad contract and gain a first, hence the idea of taking on another questionable contract in order to reach that goal.

Kovalchuk having two years left shouldn't handcuff the Kings, but having watched him in preseason action, he's just not a good fit here. The only way to get out of that contract is going to involve another risky player coming back to LA. Similar to what we witnessed this offseason with Milan Lucic being dealt for James Neal.

Another similar thought would be Loui Eriksson, who has three years remaining at $6M, but would he waive his NTC to come here? And would Vancouver sacrifice a first round pick to make that swap?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Done and done. Where does BLuc sign?

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
no. He only has 2 years left, try to trade him and if you cant he just plays out his contract, no big deal. Lets not make it worse.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

I would have several stiff drinks if we took on Johnson.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I want to see Kovi play a few proper games first. I don’t put a huge amount of stock into how players assured of a roster spot perform in preseason. They have different targets and objectives than the younger guys trying to make the cut.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
It's definitely a pipe dream to get out of a bad contrac

What is the benefit in getting out of the Kovalchuk contract? What are they going to do with the cap space over the next 2 years when we are in the middle of a re-tool? I imagine you want to buy out Johnson, because he would create another Phaneuf like stopgap for our upcoming prospects on the blueline and in that case dealing with a buyout cap hit 6 years from now seems worse than dealing with Kovalchuk's contract now.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What is the benefit in getting out of the Kovalchuk contract? What are they going to do with the cap space over the next 2 years when we are in the middle of a re-tool? I imagine you want to buy out Johnson, because he would create another Phaneuf like stopgap for our upcoming prospects on the blueline and in that case dealing with a buyout cap hit 6 years from now seems worse than dealing with Kovalchuk's contract now.

Seems like people are glossing over the addition of another first round pick that could be a top 20 pick in a deep draft. That would be the purpose of this trade.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Seems like people are glossing over the addition of another first round pick that could be a top 20 pick in a deep draft. That would be the purpose of this trade.

I'm a little confused...Pittsburgh is already capped out and the net result of your proposal would be to add $3 million to their cap hit for this year. How does that make sense for them? What am I missing?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

No, I understand that in your hypothetical trade there is a 1st rounder included, I was just wondering why you mentioned getting out of the bad contract. Especially when this trade ends up giving us a worse contract that will affect us for much longer.

The other aspect is do the Penguins want to do this? They are currently capped out, so they would need to move more players to find 3 million in additional cap space to take on Kovalchuk. They would essentially be moving a bad defenseman, a first round draft pick and multiple other players in order to acquire a top 6 forward that they don't really need (Malkin, Crosby, Guentzel, Horny, Chucky, Rust). This also is going to impact their ability to re-sign their RFA's next season as well.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Pens only have one significant RFA to re-sign in Matt Murray and have two significant UFAs in Justin Schultz and Alex Galchenyuk. The Kings have enough cap space to either retain on Kovalchuk or take on an additional contract with JJ to placate the Pens in their cap situation.

With three years remaining on Johnson's contract after this season, the buyout hit would $1~M spread over six seasons (and $1M in the last three years).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

I'd probably do it. Especially if the 1st is unprotected.

The Pens are the type of team you want to get a 1st from. There the type of team that may be on the cusp of a collapse but not realize it.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The Pens only have one significant RFA to re-sign in Matt Murray and have two significant UFAs in Justin Schultz and Alex Galchenyuk. The Kings have enough cap space to either retain on Kovalchuk or take on an additional contract with JJ to placate the Pens in their cap situation.

With three years remaining on Johnson's contract after this season, the buyout hit would $1~M spread over six seasons (and $1M in the last three years).

But what does Pittsburgh do to get under the cap THIS year? They'd be $3 million over the cap after the trade you propose. That means another trade for them.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

What other players would they take on to make the salary work? I doubt the Kings would want Tanev for 6 more seasons, so that is out. Gudbranson? That would suck for the Kings to take on that much salary and cap and it would also leave the Penguins with an inexperienced blue line. Rust, Chucky? Well, now the trade is super lopsided, talented young top 6 forward, a 1st and JJ for Kovalchuk?

I just don't see how including Kovalchuk makes sense, just offer to take on JJ for a 1st rounder. It is much less convoluted that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad