Injury Report: 2019-20 IR/recall thread (Latest - NHL season on LTIR)

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Now seeing a report that Kukan's injury also involves ligament damage. That certainly will keep him out for quite a while.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Meniscus is just cartilage. It is not like it is a ligament which would be really serious. Does not seem like he should be out for the rest of the year.

He also has an ACL injury. It doesn’t say torn but if the meniscus is torn and the ACL is damaged it could be a long rehab.

I’m no doctor tho but it just seems to make sense to me lol

My understanding this is articular cartilage, not anterior cruciary ligament (ACL).

While I am not 100% sure on the timetable for cartilage, I would assume that this is more in line with a meniscus injury (surgery required because it doesn’t heal itself). I’d assume surgery and 3-4 weeks, like Korpi.

I think the issue is with the articular cartilage, which is the cartilage between the joints in the knee. Without it you have bone on bone and attempts to regenerate it can include microfracture surgery and stem cell treatments. It doesn't regenerate and grow like the meniscus can. This is the beginning of a larger, longer term issue for Kukan. While it is worst case scenario, remember Greg Oden's knees for OSU basketball fans. I think the reason they say indefinitely is that they still need to determine the extent of the damage before establishing a timeline. if it was as simple as 4 weeks I think they would have said so already.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
woaw I hope nut is ready for real.

will jarmo send MacInnis down so he doesn't have to go through waiver again soon.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
woaw I hope nut is ready for real.

will jarmo send MacInnis down so he doesn't have to go through waiver again soon.
Well there is a loophole in the emergency recall that could keep him around longer. Play 9 games under emergency recall, it can be converted to a standard recall and the counter starts over again as I understand it. That could keep him here for 18 games before having to be subject to waivers again.

Understanding Emergency Recall vs Regular Recall

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Well there is a loophole in the emergency recall that could keep him around longer. Play 9 games under emergency recall, it can be converted to a standard recall and the counter starts over again as I understand it. That could keep him here for 18 games before having to be subject to waivers again.

Understanding Emergency Recall vs Regular Recall

Well, the "emergency" situation was resolved as the team has 12 healthy forwards. That means MacInnis is no longer up on emergency recall - I assume as of Monday when they added Bemstrom into the lineup.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Well, the "emergency" situation was resolved as the team has 12 healthy forwards. That means MacInnis is no longer up on emergency recall - I assume as of Monday when they added Bemstrom into the lineup.
They are still on emergency recall but they would have to clear waivers if they play more than 9 games. You don’t just change your recall status because players got healthy.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
They are still on emergency recall but they would have to clear waivers if they play more than 9 games. You don’t just change your recall status because players got healthy.
From the link I shared earlier:

"The key point about emergency recalls is that there is a separate count of games played before that exemption expires. So if a team can call up a player on emergency recall, they can play him for nine games, and then convert that player to a regular recall and the 9 games/29 days counter starts for that type of recall."

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

The situation that required the emergency (not being able to ice 12 forwards) is remedied. It's no longer an emergency recall.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Torts says when the regulars are healthy, they get right back into the line up.....I'm not sure how I feel about that.
The call ups have been playing exceptionally well, taking the team on their best run of the season so far. It's a tough call to make, for sure. Definitely shows the depth the CBJ have.

That being said, I hope these guys are fully healed and practiced hard before getting back into game time. And play with the same fire their replacements had.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Torts says when the regulars are healthy, they get right back into the line up.....

...That being said, I hope these guys are fully healed and practiced hard before getting back into game time. And play with the same fire their replacements had.

This

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Torts says when the regulars are healthy, they get right back into the line up.....I'm not sure how I feel about that.
The call ups have been playing exceptionally well, taking the team on their best run of the season so far. It's a tough call to make, for sure. Definitely shows the depth the CBJ have.

That being said, I hope these guys are fully healed and practiced hard before getting back into game time. And play with the same fire their replacements had.

I thought they don't get into games until after they have had full practices with the team anyway. They usually skate first, then participate in practice at full speed and contact, then are ok'd to play. Missing a couple weeks isn't as bad as missing a couple months, but I am sure these guys are plenty ready before they go back in.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I mean, we're really only waiting on Atkinson and Bjorkstrand, right? I know Andy is technically nearing the end of his "4-6 week" timeframe for recovery, but he wasn't right even before he went out. Him coming back at actual full strength would be gravy, but I'm not counting on it. I guess Texier as well, but given his "indefinite" status hasn't changed, I assume his broken back will keep him out months.

Atkinson is soon, and he'd bump Lilja out, I'd assume. Bjorkstrand may be back right before the break, but probably after it. The question when he comes back comes down to Gerbe vs. Stenlund vs. Nash vs. Bemstrom vs. Robinson vs. Wennberg vs. Foligno (he of 4 assists and no goals in the last 16 games...but we know Torts isn't going to hold the captain accountable for his on ice play, so count him out). It's really the same battle if Texier or Anderson make it back this season, provided, of course, no one else gets injured.

Reactions: Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I mean, we're really only waiting on Atkinson and Bjorkstrand, right? I know Andy is technically nearing the end of his "4-6 week" timeframe for recovery, but he wasn't right even before he went out. Him coming back at actual full strength would be gravy, but I'm not counting on it. I guess Texier as well, but given his "indefinite" status hasn't changed, I assume his broken back will keep him out months.

Atkinson is soon, and he'd bump Lilja out, I'd assume. Bjorkstrand may be back right before the break, but probably after it. The question when he comes back comes down to Gerbe vs. Stenlund vs. Nash vs. Bemstrom vs. Robinson vs. Wennberg vs. Foligno (he of 4 assists and no goals in the last 16 games...but we know Torts isn't going to hold the captain accountable for his on ice play, so count him out). It's really the same battle if Texier or Anderson make it back this season, provided, of course, no one else gets injured.

Mostly those two, yeah, and the fuss over "I hope they bring the same passion and energy as the call-ups" thing really only goes for Atkinson, right?

Anderson would be the other egregious example, I think. And that may have been due to the lingering physical issue(s). What's Murray's status?

Nuti's already back. How have we felt about his effort?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Mostly those two, yeah, and the fuss over "I hope they bring the same passion and energy as the call-ups" thing really only goes for Atkinson, right?

Anderson would be the other egregious example, I think. And that may have been due to the lingering physical issue(s). What's Murray's status?

Nuti's already back. How have we felt about his effort?

Murray, apparently, is still "week to week." I assume that's basically "indefinitely" as well.

Nuti's been...fine? Bemstrom hasn't been super noticeable either.

Re: Atkinson - I don't expect him to be a driver of much (he hasn't been for his career) but his scoring is needed. I certainly don't have any qualms about taking Lilja out of the lineup for him.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
When do we start getting concerned about Atkinson? He’s been skating for over 2 weeks and practicing for a week but still isn’t in the lineup.

I realize an ankle injury can be nagging and take a while to heal. Would he have been better off not skating and resting instead?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
When do we start getting concerned about Atkinson? He’s been skating for over 2 weeks and practicing for a week but still isn’t in the lineup.

I realize an ankle injury can be nagging and take a while to heal. Would he have been better off not skating and resting instead?

When he misses more time than Ryan Murray.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Rest often slows the healing process. You need to get blood and nutrients to the area, doing light/moderate skating would be better than sitting on the couch

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I think it is to get Kiv a game, with the all star break coming, that will be Elvis' break. I think Elvis gets every game unless he shows signs of tiring. I don't think its a trust thing, Elvis just seems to be getting better.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think it is to get Kiv a game, with the all star break coming, that will be Elvis' break. I think Elvis gets every game unless he shows signs of tiring. I don't think its a trust thing, Elvis just seems to be getting better.
Good observation and on reconsideration I think you’re probably right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad