Injury Report: 2019-20 Injuries: Steven Stamkos done for rest of playoffs

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Probably talking out of my ass and no disrespect to players who know way better than I, but considering the more significant injuries you can recover from are typically 6-8 weeks, why keep playing until March? Stamkos should've shut it down a month ago in that light.
Yep hockey players are too tough for their own good just a dumb decision.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
That is a shame, but better to get it dealt with now :(

Though given the Corona virus there is a risk there won't be any playoffs at all. Not sure how it will be handled, we will have to wait and see.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Probably talking out of my ass and no disrespect to players who know way better than I, but considering the more significant injuries you can recover from are typically 6-8 weeks, why keep playing until March? Stamkos should've shut it down a month ago in that light.

Lots of players have minor nagging injuries, obviously this one was playable given Stamkos's performance this season. Whatever he sustained 5 games ago probably resulted in that nag becoming a surgical matter.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Meh. It's not like Stammer is some god like playoff performer. Obviously you'd rather have him in your lineup but I doubt he would make or break our Cup hopes as crazy as it sounds.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
An organizational failure from the player, to the training and coaches to not diagnose this sooner.

Not only is he back 2nd round best case but the lines will all be jumbled and any chemistry developed with then2 newbies partially negated.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This...and he'd have missed a week of the regular season rather than another playoff week. Mindboggling. What were they thinking?
Got to go all out to win the division/set the wins record/get home ice man! You wouldn't expect this organization to learn anything from the previous times being focused on the regular season blew up in their faces, would you?

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Got to go all out to win the division/set the wins record/get home ice man! You wouldn't expect this organization to learn anything from the previous times being focused on the regular season blew up in their faces, would you?

Worked out brilliantly with that 4 game losing streak they got going now.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He probably downplayed it and insisted on playing through it. The old "warrior" BS. They likely listened to him and didn't want to hurt his feelings and shut him down.

Reactions: stlwahoo

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Wish we would have traded that TB 1st rounder for a top 6 guy not bottom 6 guy now.....

Could have pulled a Hawks '15 and go over the cap. He should have gotten this taken care of when he missed the first batch of games. Dude would be like 2 weeks till coming back as opposed to waiting this long. Smh. Sucks.

source.gif

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Stamkos + Stephens >>>>>>>>> Coleman + Goodrow. That’s what the Lightning are dealing with post TDL. After dealing Foote and 2 first rounders. An organizational failure

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I want to cry.
Because I'm not sure anymore that we'll defeat Toronto. It's a terrible injury.
For me we're near the "game over" situation, for this season. And yes, we're cursed.
I really want to cry.

Reactions: Discipline

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If it was a nagging thing...why wait so long? Could have been ready for playoffs if they didn't wait. Curious at least...

They have changed the name on this injury. Its the sports hernia thing. Hockey players play thru this all the time with varying amounts of success. Its also an injury that can get worse. Which is what happened to Crosby ealier this season. Same thing.

Why do they wait? This surgery is not a guaranteed thing and careers can be damaged and destroyed when its done. Its scary for a hockey player. I give you Karl Alzner. Same injury. Same surgery

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Wow.... This is just beyond f***ing stupid by player and team. You have an injury that requires surgery to fix and decide to do something about it to where he misses the 1st round of the playoffs

f***ing amateur hour. This team seriously has no idea how to prioritize anything

Reactions: ultra63

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Today I learned on the main boards that our center depth is now shit. I guess they're right with only Point, Cirelli, Goodrow, Johnson, Paquette and Stephens as natural centers left in the lineup. Coupled with the fact that Stamkos played mostly left wing all season long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad