Injury Report: 2019-20 Injuries: Steven Stamkos done for rest of playoffs

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Think there's a rule when a team submits the final roster for a game (the one you see on the official NHL sites), those are the only ones who can play in that game??? I vaguely remember a player (Dotchin on his current team??) who wasn't allowed to play because he wasn't on the final roster??
Per the NHL here:NHL releases rosters for Stanley Cup Qualifiers

Each team was allowed 31 players to bring into the bubble. Stammer was one of those.

Dotchin was a regular season issue w/Bolts and plays in AHL (EDITED HERE:) ) San Antonio Rampage which was part of the Blues organization until purchased by Vegas to be their AHL team.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
As far as I'm concerned, Stamkos isn't even a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning anymore. Gotta update my avatar. Without knowing the full extent of the injury, it seems strange that he could score a goal by blowing by the defender and ripping the puck higher than any of our other players can reach - and he isn't good enough to play 5-10 minutes? I thought this was hockey where players put it on the line for the Cup.

Obviously, I still respect the guy, but he's playing and looking better than most of our skaters at this point.

Keep calm until we know the entire story.

He tried it and it didn't work. Seems fair to me. I'm sure this isn't Stamkos' call anyway. He'd be the first to play.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Thinking the same thing. I can't remember an injury like this. A six week recovery and now we're closing in on... 7 months?

Worrying of course but you never know with muscle injuries. He was good enough to try it and looked fine in limited action. Even after returning he felt good enough to test it during tv timeouts and wasn't ruled out for the series until just now. So there's hope.

Last edited:

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Per the NHL here:NHL releases rosters for Stanley Cup Qualifiers

Each team was allowed 31 players to bring into the bubble. Stammer was one of those.

Dotchin was a regular season issue w/Bolts and plays in AHL (EDITED HERE:) ) San Antonio Rampage which was part of the Blues organization until purchased by Vegas to be their AHL team.

Yeah, I know about the bubble roster. I'm referring to the actual game day roster filed on that day for a particular game. But yeah, probably not the same as regular season rules. :)

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Came here when I heard the news. Really crummy as I was among those who was hoping to see him come in for Game 6.

I agree with those who suggest that it's likely due to concern over exacerbating the injury to where it could be career threatening. I truly believe that if it was not the case & Stammer was allowed to safely manage the pain that he'd play.

It's obviously serious and I respect the Team for putting his long term health first. He's an inspiration and great support just being there with them, imho.

IMG_5092.GIF

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Thinking the same thing. I can't remember an injury like this. A six week recovery and now we're closing in on... 7 months?
I think he recovered from his sports hernia surgery but after being off for like 4 months came back too hard during practice and tore his groin or something. I think this is another separate injury from the hernia. He tried to give it a go and play thru the pain but couldn't.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Esposito speculated the other day that Stamkos might be done for good. It was the day after he played.

The guys have to win it for Stammer! :(

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he recovered from his sports hernia surgery but after being off for like 4 months came back too hard during practice and tore his groin or something. I think this is another separate injury from the hernia. He tried to give it a go and play thru the pain but couldn't.
Maybe. But we're at a point where the mystery of it all is beginning to feel a little bit ominous.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Maybe. But we're at a point where the mystery of it all is beginning to feel a little bit ominous.

They kept things quiet because there was still a chance he could play. Even now that he's ruled out, there's no point in making the story a big media distraction. We will find out this week (hopefully sooner rather than later)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They kept things quiet because there was still a chance he could play. Even now that he's ruled out, there's no point in making the story a big media distraction. We will find out this week (hopefully sooner rather than later)

It's just a really, really long time to be out, with a lot of strange setbacks. It seemed like he was on the verge of playing since Round 1.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Where is this “his career is over” stuff coming from?

Pure speculation. Doesn't make sense to me. He looked good when he played and even tried to test it. Something still not right obviously but if it was potentially career ending he wouldn't have played and they wouldn't have played him.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Prayers for Stamkos, but I hope it isn't career ending or life threatening. Hopefully he pushed his body to the limits to get back and aggravated his injury.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I asked this in another thread, and no one responded. Has a coached ruled out a player for a game or series, only for that player to play anyway? Legit, straight up lie to the media to deceive the other team?
Cooping making the other team make adjustments since we know he isn't. That is some next level Cooping.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
People forget its basically two separate injuries.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Hypothetically if this is the last we have seen of Stamkos. I hope they give him a role behind the bench or something, retire his number, give him a statue, and most of all... get his name on the cup this year.

Team wise it helps our cap issues tremendously and will save us from having to pay to move Johnson till next year when his NTC is a M-NTC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->