Injury Report: 2019-20 Injuries: Steven Stamkos done for rest of playoffs

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Thank God we're learning how to win without a PP right? Now Kuch can just force it to someone else who isnt the best one timer in the league because we cannot prioritize how to treat what appears to be a somewhat substantial injury given its recovery time

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
This was depressing news when I heard it after the game. On the positive side, we get to see if Cirelli is ready for that huge step up. I think Stephens will be fine at C3, but wow, this is going to be one tough road without our Captain for a while.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Today I learned on the main boards that our center depth is now shit. I guess they're right with only Point, Cirelli, Goodrow, Johnson, Paquette and Stephens as natural centers left in the lineup. Coupled with the fact that Stamkos played mostly left wing all season long.
Good, i'm hoping people start favoring whoever we play instead of Tampa.

If Tampa goes into the playoffs as underdogs then I think its better for the team.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
This was depressing news when I heard it after the game. On the positive side, we get to see if Cirelli is ready for that huge step up. I think Stephens will be fine at C3, but wow, this is going to be one tough road without our Captain for a while.
I think they will manage. They did fine all they way up to game 7 of the ECF vs the pens without him.
Stamkos should be a rallying point for the team.

Get McD and Rutta back and get set for the playoffs.

Reactions: Hoek and DaBolts

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
This team always manages to f*** something up when it matters. How is our organization so shit when it comes to dealing with injuries? Always rushing guys back and them having to sit out again. This is pathetic nobody advised him to do this earlier. It's something they clearly knew about if it "came back." f***ing melons.

Reactions: ultra63

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Awful news. Wish we could have gotten this dealt with sooner. I love Stammer and wish him a fast recovery. I hope he can join us in the playoffs if we make it that far.

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
Holy overreactions.

Sports hernia are tricky.
Depending on the situation, surgery is not always needed or preferable.

Stamkos could play through whatever he had until he couldn’t.

The way things were two weeks ago, him and his doctor/medical staff
probably thought it would be manageable until June and surgery would not be needed.

Now something changed this week and it got drastically worst.
And now surgery is needed.

This is bad timing and it stings.

But you don’t tell a player who does not need surgery to get surgery.
This is absurd.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Holy overreactions.

probably thought it would be manageable until June and surgery would not be needed.

This is absurd.
Careful, treading on thin ice with statements like that :sarcasm:

Reactions: Max McBolt

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Holy overreactions.

This is absurd.
This is a fair point. I do wonder if JBB knew he’d be without Stanmer this long if Coleman and Goodrow would still be the moves he makes.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I just read Crosby was out 10 weeks with this injury. The more I think about it, Stammer being a major contributor for the upcoming cup run is a bit of a long shot. Feel horrible for him. Definitely a blow to the Lightning chances.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Holy overreactions.

This is absurd.

Hernias (if that is in fact what it is) can be managed and surgery not be preferable if you're NOT playing hockey. The smartest possible thing would have been to say 2 or 3 weeks ago something on the lines of "Stamkos is having surgery on a core muscle and we have decided that is the best way to manage it instead of playing through and making it worse. The timing is never good for these things but this is about having him ready for the playoffs"

The only remark I would've made was about Stamkos being cursed by injuries, wishing him well and looking for some kind of positive in the bad news. But I would've been thankful we took care of it

But instead I'm supposed to believe woe is the Lightning for waiting this long

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Holy overreactions.

This is absurd.

Yeah no kidding, not to mention it's only the first round, if a team like this can't win round 1 with Kucherov, Point, Hedman, McDonagh and Vasi they don't deserve to advance.

Worse teams with worse rosters have been able to win a round, they won 2 without Stamkos in 2016 and its not like they're playing Boston, Washington or Pittsburgh first they should be fine against any other team. Imagine crying about not having 1 all star on a team with like 4 while the Islanders are capable of sweeping the Penguins.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I just read Crosby was out 10 weeks with this injury. The more I think about it, Stammer being a major contributor for the upcoming cup run is a bit of a long shot. Feel horrible for him. Definitely a blow to the Lightning chances.
Same could be said if he was healthy.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Same could be said if he was healthy.
Same could be said about half of this damn roster.

His mere presence in the lineup is extremely important. Look how our offense has looked the past couple games. Not nearly as dangerous as before.

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
TBH I dont see us sweeping any team n the playoffs and going 4-0 in any round.

Plenty of time imo.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I kind of like where the team is (minus Stammer). Going through some adversity is what everyone said doomed them last year. Well they've had plenty of it this season.

Seems like the PP is starting to click again ( i know it was only one game). Defense will start to get healthy again soon and there are plenty of game left to let the new guys get comfortable and for the team to work other things.

Its also nice that I've seen everyone picking Boston to just roll through the first two rounds. I think this team will play much better if nobody thinks they can win. I'm also sure that they are gonna replay last years sweep for the entire team before the playoffs start, just encase anyone had forgotten even a little bit of what that was like.

I don't see motivation or intensity being a problem. The only thing thats gonna matter is the same thing its always been. Can Cooper adapt when he as to? He's got more size and grit.

TIME TO WIN THIS f***ING THING!!! ⚡⚡⚡

Reactions: Discipline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad