2019-20 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm not one to dump on Dump Truck but it looks like we didn't even miss him out there last night. Granted I didn't see the game but I saw enough of Gamel Smith to think "Yeah we'll okay short term if he's our guy." I don't think he's got a lot of NHL caliber skill but his hustle and feet are gonna get him a LONG way. Some guys can make it work with just that and he looks to be one of them. I echo the statements of those who think we might try for Taylor Hall or Chris Kreider at the TDL. But I honest to God think Paquette could be a trading piece in it. We've got a lot of guys chomping at the bit to become our 4C and if Paquette can't stay healthy and someone else comes along and proves they can get the job done for cheaper??? I love Paquette but I wouldn't be surprised even slightly if he was moved for some reason. We're already talking about losing someone like Palat, Johnson or Killorn next year.

It's early in the game but let's pretend if Shattenkirk really DOES earn his welcome here. He limits the harm he does and plays well enough for all of us to not be opposed to his return. Would anyone really be all that mad if he left money on the table for a team-friendly extension? Something like 3 years x $2.5 million AAV and we all get the happy ending we all want with him and he continues his "do-no-harm" role as Heddy's partner. I wouldn't gripe about it. It's not a diss to Paquette but I know who I'd rather have if I could choose between him and Shattenkirk being a serviceable partner for Hedman for the next couple of years provided he can limit his brain farts.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I liked what I saw from everyone last night. All the sloppy stuff aside, which should probably be expected for the first few weeks. I do really like Smith's game, but he's no Paquette. It'll be nice to get him back on the ice. Maroon illustrated perfectly why he was brought in. Parking him in front of the net and possibly rolling out with Hedman, Point, Kucherov and Stamkos is f'n rude. Shattenkirk showed what he's capable of, even if he was sloppy. I expect that for awhile. It'll take him some time.

Palat had his best game in who knows how long. Others have said it, but a healthy Palat is an enormous bonus for this team. Hopefully he can stay healthy and contribute.

Reactions: Zwui21

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I liked what I saw from everyone last night. All the sloppy stuff aside, which should probably be expected for the first few weeks. I do really like Smith's game, but he's no Paquette. It'll be nice to get him back on the ice. Maroon illustrated perfectly why he was brought in. Parking him in front of the net and possibly rolling out with Hedman, Point, Kucherov and Stamkos is f'n rude. Shattenkirk showed what he's capable of, even if he was sloppy. I expect that for awhile. It'll take him some time.

Palat had his best game in who knows how long. Others have said it, but a healthy Palat is an enormous bonus for this team. Hopefully he can stay healthy and contribute.

If Palat stays healthy during the playoffs and contributes at the level we know he can then I have a hard time betting against us. Anyone can rightfully argue "As goes Stamkos/Kucherov so does the Lightning" but when Palat is on is when we truly have our best nights.

Reactions: Zwui21

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Palat was fricking AWESOME last night! He finally looked healthy and fast and sneaky and just plain fun!

I think I’m falling for Maroon. lol Such a Brian Boyle type presence, just with a SC ring. Love how he parks in HIS particular office in front of the net then stirs up some stuff. :heart:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm not one to dump on Dump Truck but it looks like we didn't even miss him out there last night. Granted I didn't see the game but I saw enough of Gamel Smith to think "Yeah we'll okay short term if he's our guy." I don't think he's got a lot of NHL caliber skill but his hustle and feet are gonna get him a LONG way. Some guys can make it work with just that and he looks to be one of them. I echo the statements of those who think we might try for Taylor Hall or Chris Kreider at the TDL. But I honest to God think Paquette could be a trading piece in it. We've got a lot of guys chomping at the bit to become our 4C and if Paquette can't stay healthy and someone else comes along and proves they can get the job done for cheaper??? I love Paquette but I wouldn't be surprised even slightly if he was moved for some reason. We're already talking about losing someone like Palat, Johnson or Killorn next year.

It's early in the game but let's pretend if Shattenkirk really DOES earn his welcome here. He limits the harm he does and plays well enough for all of us to not be opposed to his return. Would anyone really be all that mad if he left money on the table for a team-friendly extension? Something like 3 years x $2.5 million AAV and we all get the happy ending we all want with him and he continues his "do-no-harm" role as Heddy's partner. I wouldn't gripe about it. It's not a diss to Paquette but I know who I'd rather have if I could choose between him and Shattenkirk being a serviceable partner for Hedman for the next couple of years provided he can limit his brain farts.

Smith looked way over his head, I highly doubt Paquette is a centering piece for any major deadline acquisition. Why would any team want him aside from a dump in? Why would we trade him when you could throw a non-roster player in place instead? Paquette is one of the few players who actually plays above his head in the playoffs. The talk about moving Palat, Johnson or Killorn is due to their cap hits, there's a difference between Paquette at 1.6m as a 4C than Killorn as a 4.45m 3rd winger.

If Shattenkirk does revert back to form, he should get out and take the biggest contract on the market, he'd be stupid otherwise. He isn't homegrown talent and is trying to salvage a career no chance he takes such a low amount.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Smith looked way over his head, I highly doubt Paquette is a centering piece for any major deadline acquisition. Why would any team want him aside from a dump in? Why would we trade him when you could throw a non-roster player in place instead? Paquette is one of the few players who actually plays above his head in the playoffs. The talk about moving Palat, Johnson or Killorn is due to their cap hits, there's a difference between Paquette at 1.6m as a 4C than Killorn as a 4.45m 3rd winger.

If Shattenkirk does revert back to form, he should get out and take the biggest contract on the market, he'd be stupid otherwise. He isn't homegrown talent and is trying to salvage a career no chance he takes such a low amount.
Yeah - Shatty signed here for a chance at a new contract. Playing behind this team for a guy that moves the puck like that is probably an easy way to rack up 40+ points.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Palat was fricking AWESOME last night! He finally looked healthy and fast and sneaky and just plain fun!

I think I’m falling for Maroon. lol Such a Brian Boyle type presence, just with a SC ring. Love how he parks in HIS particular office in front of the net then stirs up some stuff. :heart:
I have been preaching this since the signing. HE is what we need. He gets down in the dirty areas and leads by example.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah - Shatty signed here for a chance at a new contract. Playing behind this team for a guy that moves the puck like that is probably an easy way to rack up 40+ points.

It's gonna be nice to have a guy who can shoot the puck from the point like that, while also being able to create plays. It's sort of what we hope Sergachev will be, offensively. Should also come in handy in the playoffs when, historically, our offense dries up completely.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016

You forgot about taxes! Clearly that’ll allow us to lowball him a few million per year :sarcasm:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I've been a big Smith defender, but I've got to sort of agree. I saw it in the last pre-season game when he was put with some more skilled guys. I'm not sure he's got a lot of flexibility to play more than a simple 4th line north-south game at the NHL level. His strengths come from having top end determination, relentlessness. and fearlessness. With Paquette, you could very reasonably put him on the 3rd line with Joseph and Verhaeghe. Even 2nd line for short periods of time in a pinch.

Maybe (hopefully) Smith just needs time to adapt, but he's shown to be limited in the roles he can take on so far.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Well the idea is more about shedding salary without shedding too much skill too. I have to figure someone will be ready to step in his place. I don't know what'll happen with Shattenkirk but if Sergachev can't make the next step it may not be such a bad idea to try to convince Shattenkirk to stay around for cheap. Not saying he will or that he should but it's gonna leave a heck of a hole if Shattenkirk actually does play well and Sergachev can't step up. But long year, more to see. Hopefully it's just a one year thing with Shattenkirk and we don't have to make any kind of decision like that

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm happy that Palat had a good game but to only blame injuries for his last two weak seasons is to give him credit when it's not deserved. But hopefully he can keep it up now, so we can forget about the past!

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It's gonna be nice to have a guy who can shoot the puck from the point like that, while also being able to create plays. It's sort of what we hope Sergachev will be, offensively. Should also come in handy in the playoffs when, historically, our offense dries up completely.

Our defence should be much improved this year! On opening we night we saw the 4th line use the D allot. Lets hope that continues.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm happy that Palat had a good game but to only blame injuries for his last two weak seasons is to give him credit when it's not deserved. But hopefully he can keep it up now, so we can forget about the past!

I don't know, man. When a 27 year-old has a severe decline in play, and you can see it's because he can't skate or handle the puck, it's hard not to link that to health. I'm not saying he deserved all the opportunities he got, because he clearly didn't, but it's also not a stretch to think he can be "the old Palat" if healthy. I don't think anybody's sold on it yet, but there've been some great signs.

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I don't know, man. When a 27 year-old has a severe decline in play, and you can see it's because he can't skate or handle the puck, it's hard not to link that to health. I'm not saying he deserved all the opportunities he got, because he clearly didn't, but it's also not a stretch to think he can be "the old Palat" if healthy. I don't think anybody's sold on it yet, but there've been some great signs.

That is fair enough and obviously difficult for us to know how much the injuries played in, but I think we can agree that we want to see the "old" Palat again!

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
In an interview Palat said that last offseason he trained like a madman and was a beast in the gym, but this resulted in lack of speed and agility on the ice. This summer he switched up his workout regime to prioritize speed, agility and quickness. And it's showing, he's way more reactive and all over the ice.
If he can keep this up, it'll be HUGE for us

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
In an interview Palat said that last offseason he trained like a madman and was a beast in the gym, but this resulted in lack of speed and agility on the ice. This summer he switched up his workout regime to prioritize speed, agility and quickness. And it's showing, he's way more reactive and all over the ice.
If he can keep this up, it'll be HUGE for us
He's also been plagued with high ankle sprains the past couple of seasons. Those are tricky to recover from.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
For those of us getting an early start on Canuck watching... They're 0-2.

What's it matter? If they suck this year they get a really good pick and possibly a player that helps them more next year. They will have a year older Petterson, Hughes and Boeser, Demko could become a good starter this year so much better next, Juolevi should be healthy and ready to contribute at the NHL level, Woo could possibly make the team and their top pick this year Podkolzin could come over and help. I'm not saying they'll be a Cup contender next year but they should be a much better team than they are this year. I rather them sneak in the playoffs this year and bounced right away and get the 16th overall. I don't see us getting a top 10 pick in 21 so I rather a pick in the teens a year earlier so they will be a year closer to helping. I don't think the drafts are that lopsided that I prefer a pick one year over the other.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
What's it matter? If they suck this year they get a really good pick and possibly a player that helps them more next year. They will have a year older Petterson, Hughes and Boeser, Demko could become a good starter this year so much better next, Juolevi should be healthy and ready to contribute at the NHL level, Woo could possibly make the team and their top pick this year Podkolzin could come over and help. I'm not saying they'll be a Cup contender next year but they should be a much better team than they are this year. I rather them sneak in the playoffs this year and bounced right away and get the 16th overall. I don't see us getting a top 10 pick in 21 so I rather a pick in the teens a year earlier so they will be a year closer to helping. I don't think the drafts are that lopsided that I prefer a pick one year over the other.

Agree with the fact its better if they sneak in. Woo and Podkolzin will not be on the team tho.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
3mrk06s6p0r31.jpg

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hypothetically - what would it take for Cooper to be fired? I'd imagine it would have to be a pretty horrendous start.

Out of a playoff position in mid-November, you risk letting the suck drag on too late into the season it becomes irreparable and you need to give a new coach time to adjust. Or another round 1/2 loss. However maintaining a playoff position will drag out Cooper's tenure for another year at least, as long as we're in a playoff position they'll chalk any issues out to "not interested in regular season."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad