2019-20 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
FYI, this is the first hockey game I went to in my life. The Shultz/Hextall fight was EPIC. I also got to see Shultz fight Willi Plett, still one of my favorite players of all time. The best part? I was a kid and my dad got us seats behind the penalty box during that playoff game and my poor mom was horrified at the language and fighting. :)

This game, the passion, the fun, is why I still love hockey. I love the evolution to the faster, safe game we have now because the speed and skill is fun.

But old time hockey is fun to watch still, and we need the big guys to protect our skill players because of the new rules. This season will be different when we face the punks in Pittsburgh, Washington, etc.

GO BOLTS!

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
I won't remember that season fondly unless we win a Cup with this roster.
A cup win this year with much of the same leaders will absolutely validate last year's presidents trophy! Same thing happened to the Red Wings teams and the Capitals of 2 years ago! The Cup victory(s) puts the exclamation point on the sustained period of excellence!

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Here's to a middle of the playoff pack finish, some struggles along the way and meaningful games in March. Only way they'll be ready in April IMO.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Appears the Bolts have already put up their Presidents Trophy banner in the rafters. No ceremony or fanfare

I can't roll my eyes hard enough. I don't expect a ceremony but you can always just put the banner down before puck drop. Don't crap on the accomplishment of one of the best seasons ever by just throwing it up and hoping people notice and to Crabby's point make em look at it. Fire the team up. Seriously if it's mark of shame then don't pamper your team. I'm still bitter we didn't win the Cup and they should be too

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I can't roll my eyes hard enough. I don't expect a ceremony but you can always just put the banner down before puck drop. Don't crap on the accomplishment of one of the best seasons ever by just throwing it up and hoping people notice and to Crabby's point make em look at it. Fire the team up. Seriously if it's mark of shame then don't pamper your team. I'm still bitter we didn't win the Cup and they should be too
The banner raisings I've been to before looked like they had a temporary way of pulling it down and back up that later gets replaced with a more permanent way.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And I know I've said it a bunch but for some reason I'm just really positive about this season. I can't put my finger on it but it's not like that's put a damper on my spirits anyway. Win or lose tonight this one's gonna last for a while with me

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm kind of baffled that people think there's anything to celebrate from last season.

You celebrate that season down the road, not the first time you step on meaningful ice after arguably the biggest collapse in all of professional sports history.

Forgive us who feel like that's not worth celebrating.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My guess is the players didn't want to do it. I can't blame them. Let them put last year behind them.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Hope they don't sulk through the season, put last years disappointing season away by breaking the NHL wins record and then dominating the playoffs.
I don't think they are going to sulk, but I also don't think they are in any way motivated by records, all time wins or otherwise. They'll play well enough through the year but may not win the division and may not even get second. All they are going to care about is being tested, ready and peaking heading into April.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think they are going to sulk, but I also don't think they are in any way motivated by records, all time wins or otherwise. They'll play well enough through the year but may not win the division and may not even get second. All they are going to care about is being tested, ready and peaking heading into April.

Sounds like a cop-out. They need to play to their potential, as evidenced last year the potential to be one of the best teams ever is there, if a team like that is finishing 3rd in their division I'd be more worried about their consistency and ability to win going into the playoff moreso than last year.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
I hope they break the record for LEAST wins it takes to make the playoffs, then break the record with MOST WINS it takes it to win the CUP
You mean the Lightning will have to win 17 playoff games rather than the traditional 16 to win the Cup in '20? Some kind of a penalty for being so utterly lame in the '19 playoffs despite having an All-Star roster? "The Lightning Rule"?

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Sounds like a cop-out. They need to play to their potential, as evidenced last year the potential to be one of the best teams ever is there, if a team like that is finishing 3rd in their division I'd be more worried about their consistency and ability to win going into the playoff moreso than last year.
You would?! The problem is that they weren't worried at all going into the playoffs last year. And neither were the fans.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You would?! The problem is that they weren't worried at all going into the playoffs last year. And neither were the fans.

Yes? a team that goes from 62 wins to 3rd their division is clearly having problems. You're telling me you have more confidence going into the playoffs on a team that drops 30 points in the standings, came off of getting swept and finished 3rd in their division over a 62 win team regardless of the result?

A one off occurrence doesn't mean winning in the regular season is bad the majority of the time the cup finalists are a top-3 teams from both conferences. Winning and securing a cushion is actually beneficial heading towards the playoffs as bottom seeded teams usually have to fight to the nail to get in and are beat up. Tampa not being mentally prepared for the playoffs doesn't mean the rest leading into the playoffs is a disadvantage. Boston was 2nd in the East behind us and made the finals, Washington, Pittsburgh in both years they won were top-2 teams in the East.

Last edited:

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Yes? a team that goes from 62 wins to 3rd their division is clearly having problems. You're telling me you have more confidence going into the playoffs on a team that drops 30 points in the standings, came off of getting swept and finished 3rd in their division over a 62 win team regardless of the result?

A one off occurrence doesn't mean winning in the regular season is bad the majority of the time the cup finalists are a top-3 teams from both conferences. Winning and securing a cushion is actually beneficial heading towards the playoffs as bottom seeded teams usually have to fight to the nail to get in and are beat up. Tampa not being mentally prepared for the playoffs doesn't mean the rest leading into the playoffs is a disadvantage. Boston was 2nd in the East behind us and made the finals, Washington, Pittsburgh in both years they won were top-2 teams in the East.
A 62 win team that gets swept - and it wasn't even that close - has a few problems too. Motivation and thinking their sh*t doesn't stink to name two.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You mean the Lightning will have to win 17 playoff games rather than the traditional 16 to win the Cup in '20? Some kind of a penalty for being so utterly lame in the '19 playoffs despite having an All-Star roster? "The Lightning Rule"?

Montreal Typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad