2019-20 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It's not abundantly clear - you're just narrow mindlessly singling out the losses. Go count up the wins against those teams like I pointed out, you can go do that for every "big" team in the league the past 2 years and we have a winning record. So if you have a winning record against those teams you're not playing them well??? Please go do your own research next time before you make false statements then rebuttal with "If you can't see" :laugh:

So you are saying us struggling against big heavy teams is an incorrect statement?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
wow I know we have games in hand but just wow even Ottawa is ahead of us in the standings!
We're currently 9th in P% in the East. A win in our next game would put us 8th. We have the fewest games played out of all Eastern teams. Isles and Rangers have one more, Capitals have six more. Still lots of games to be played but we better start turning this ship around soon.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So you are saying us struggling against big heavy teams is an incorrect statement?

Yes, we play them just fine when on our game and win out more often then not in the past 2 years.

Bad coaching, injuries and compete level led to the Columbus loss, not "size," especially since their biggest difference makers were Panarin & Duchene who combined for 12 points in 4 games and Bobrovsky of course. The Lightning have shown numerous times they can outplay size with tenacity such as when they dismantled the Bruins in 5, they didn't bring a winning compete level into last years playoffs.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Can we keep Point and Palat together?
Brayden played a fantastic game last night. He finally came alive!

Point plays a far more effective game not being glued to Kucherov

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Can we keep Point and Palat together?
Brayden played a fantastic game last night. He finally came alive!

Point plays a far more effective game not being glued to Kucherov

We were saying the same thing about Stamkos/Kucherov last year or year before. I think Kucherov is just one of those players who when he is on he looks amazing and when off he can make a line look bad. Hes an incredibly streaky player who can still put up points even when looking bad.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
We were saying the same thing about Stamkos/Kucherov last year or year before. I think Kucherov is just one of those players who when he is on he looks amazing and when off he can make a line look bad. Hes an incredibly streaky player who can still put up points even when looking bad.

I Agree completely with what you are saying and it’s so frustrating.

I just find point more effective when he’s playing a little less of a finesse game and more of a grind it out hard nose style.
Last night he looked like himself. What did he have? Something like 4 shots, 3 takeaways, the GWG

He just looked engaged and ready to rock instead of playing pond hockey with kuch.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I Agree completely with what you are saying and it’s so frustrating.

I just find point more effective when he’s playing a little less of a finesse game and more of a grind it out hard nose style.
Last night he looked like himself. What did he have? Something like 4 shots, 3 takeaways, the GWG

He just looked engaged and ready to rock instead of playing pond hockey with kuch.

I think they are both good when they are the ones carrying the line. I also think Point is a natural at it and is more consistent at it than Kucherov is. Kucherov just has plays that are insane but hes not consistent at it. However, I think when Point and Kucherov are gelling and on the same page, they are one of the best duos in the league. Better than Kuch and Stammer together. I just think it depends on how Kuch is lol.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Its crazy how we're like 3rd in scoring (I think that's what the stat said from Wednesday) yet we just haven't look that good. Our goaltending and defence haven't been the same as they were last year, at least imo. 6 out of our last 9 is pretty good but man this weekends b2b is a tough one

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Its crazy how we're like 3rd in scoring (I think that's what the stat said from Wednesday) yet we just haven't look that good. Our goaltending and defence haven't been the same as they were last year, at least imo. 6 out of our last 9 is pretty good but man this weekends b2b is a tough one
I think the defence has been better. Its vasi and our star players that have been slightly worse

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think the defence has been better. Its vasi and our star players that have been slightly worse

Tampa is 1st in goals per game, the forwards have been fine - not as top heavy as last year but all star forwards are PPG and depth scoring is up considerably . Defense has been the biggest issue, clearly. Tampa dropped significantly in their PK and GAA, that's not only on Vasi, anyone thinking the defense has been "better" is out to lunch.

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Tampa is 1st in goals per game, the forwards have been fine - not as top heavy as last year but all star forwards are PPG and depth scoring is up considerably . Defense has been the biggest issue, clearly. Tampa dropped significantly in their PK and GAA, that's not only on Vasi, anyone thinking the defense has been "better" is out to lunch.

The defense is way better. We haven’t played well but I think it’s all going to start coming together here

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Anyone else think we should be trading for Taylor Hall? Might as well go for broke since last year’s strategy of sitting on our ass didn’t work at all.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Hall, right now, has a 6M salary...
So I think we don't have enough cap space. We should trade someone...maybe with a NTC. I think it's very hard to happen.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Anyone else think we should be trading for Taylor Hall? Might as well go for broke since last year’s strategy of sitting on our ass didn’t work at all.
Tampa needs a top 6 winger to play with Stamkos, big time. I'd be willing to give it a shot, but its obviously just a rental since he won't have any cap to resign him next year.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
two months of this crap.... 2 full months barely a 500 record imho.... we are playing ok not being outplayed as some say we dominated tonight for two periods imho .... so playing well in ways not sure whats wrong will say two teams fired coaches 3 points ahead of us BOTHERS ME with our expectation or what should be our expectation... two months of 6 and 4 and 6 and 5 is unnacceptable to me..... not saying cooper has to go or that I have any solution but this is getting old quick if like this by christmas imho we might waste a year.... and you only have soooo many tries with a core etc....

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Are we watching the same games? In what world has it been way (if, at all) better?
Well for starters we have Right/Left on every pairing.

Next, we have a real partner for Hedman in Shattenkirk (and no he hasn't been horrible like you preached)

Next, we have the emergence of Sergachev. He is leaps and bounds better this year.

Finally we have subtracted Girardi who was awful, and Stralls who wasn't even in the line up when it mattered.

Look because the results haven't been there doesn't mean we are screwed. Everyone talked about how the start of regular season doesn't matter and how its all about how we finish. Has everyone forgot that?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Well for starters we have Right/Left on every pairing.

Next, we have a real partner for Hedman in Shattenkirk (and no he hasn't been horrible like you preached)

Next, we have the emergence of Sergachev. He is leaps and bounds better this year.

Finally we have subtracted Girardi who was awful, and Stralls who wasn't even in the line up when it mattered.

Look because the results haven't been there doesn't mean we are screwed. Everyone talked about how the start of regular season doesn't matter and how its all about how we finish. Has everyone forgot that?

Cernak has regressed and we play Rutta over Coburn.
The team defense even if on paper looks better is not playing better defense and the results are there for anyone to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad