2019-20 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think in some ways it is better. I think they are faster, I think the D's offense has shown improvement and are getting shots through from the point. I think with Sergachev looking different this year and in a good way I think and then Shattenkirk while still a bit liable defensively brings something different to the team but I think overall the team still bleeds scoring chances and it requires our goaltending to bail us out from time to time and we haven't been able to do that when needed most. I think they have solid potential as I think a few of our D have yet to play their best (Cernak, McDonagh, even Hedman) but that potential is wearing fast. We are getting deeper into the season.

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Cernak has regressed and we play Rutta over Coburn.
The team defense even if on paper looks better is not playing better defense and the results are there for anyone to see.
I don't believe Cernak has regressed.

The whole team has looked off and we seem to be coming together here. Lets see how the next month goes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Changing subjects some people in the hockey world believe that Tampa is carrying 22 players instead of 23 because it allows them to accrue cap space. Thus allowing us to make a bigger addition to our roster via trade.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Coming together where? They just lost 3 in a row. Are we watching the same team?
They are getting production from all 4 lines that is an improvement over earlier in the season. The thing that keeps biting them in the ass is allowing oddman rushes that end up in the back of the net and too many penalties. clean that up and things will turn around immediately.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
It's easy to look at the three losses and say "We suck", but we've played much better since Sweden. Compare how they play now to the beginning of the season and it's a big difference. Obviously we need to translate it to wins and remove the stupid plays.

I'm convinced that the wins will come, Kuch and Point are playing better, Vasy will find his game, it's just a matter of time.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Anyone else think we should be trading for Taylor Hall? Might as well go for broke since last year’s strategy of sitting on our ass didn’t work at all.
We need a top-six winger to pair with Stamkos and I've been saying this for the longest time: until we'll have a winger that gels with Stammer the way he did with MSL or Kuch, we'll never win the Cup.

But going for Hall is IMO stupid.
1) He'd only be a rental. It isn't mathematically possible in any way to get him and think of re-signing him (and tbh the team that signs him to a 8 years deal, 10-11M AAV is gonna regret it big time in the future, as he's injury prone and 28 y/o).
2) His price is gonna be insanely high and it's likely there will be a bidding war for him. Teams like MTL, COL and Oilers (yes lmao) will be all over him I'm sure.
3) He's an amazing player and NJ would more than likely retain 50% of his salary, but he's not worth all the picks/prospects he'd command. Not for a team in the Lightning position that wouldn't be able to re-sign him.

Personally I'd go more towards a Kreider/Toffoli kinda guy.
And I'm pretty sure that, after staying put at last years deadline, JBB will scoop someone up this season. I just hope we'll be able to keep our two 2020 first rounder, this year's draft will be stacked as hell.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Hall, right now, has a 6M salary...
So I think we don't have enough cap space. We should trade someone...maybe with a NTC. I think it's very hard to happen.
That is not a problem. Salary cap is accrued daily, the Lightning would need to have the cap space to fit Hall's contract from the day they get him till end of the season, which is way less than 6M. Also no matter who gets Hall, I'm sure Shero will offer to retain 50% salary in order to maximize his return.

The problem is we wouldn't be able to afford to re-sign him, hence very likely giving up a ton of future for a single Cup run. And if I've learned something from how SY and JBB operate is that they don't give up future for a rental without then being able to re-sign him.

Reactions: Fabiobest

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
GF/GPGA/GPP%PP%PK%GPRecord
October3.423.5058.325.071.1126-4-2
November3.833.0854.234.086.5126-5-1
TOTAL 3.63 3.29 56.3 30.4 78.0 2412-9-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GF/GA and special teams improved a lot last months. Results got slightly worse though.

Reactions: Maelmoor

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
GF/GPGA/GPP%PP%PK%GPRecord
October3.423.5058.325.071.1126-4-2
November3.833.0854.234.086.5126-5-1
TOTAL 3.63 3.29 56.3 30.4 78.0 2412-9-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GF/GA and special teams improved a lot last months. Results got slightly worse though.

I think that shows on the ice, just a shame we've not been getting points accordingly. Another measurement is the goal differential, we have the 9th best record in the league, just look at the teams around us in the standings to see that we do stand out. There are lot of indicators that shows we will climb in the standings if we continue like we have at late.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think that shows on the ice, just a shame we've not been getting points accordingly. Another measurement is the goal differential, we have the 9th best record in the league, just look at the teams around us in the standings to see that we do stand out. There are lot of indicators that shows we will climb in the standings if we continue like we have at late.

Toronto is playing better. Could be tough to pass them. Florida is picking up their game and they have a good coach now. We are going to need one of those teams to falter or one of the teams in the Metro WC to falter too. It could be tough to get in there if this team doesnt get going.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
That is not a problem. Salary cap is accrued daily, the Lightning would need to have the cap space to fit Hall's contract from the day they get him till end of the season, which is way less than 6M. Also no matter who gets Hall, I'm sure Shero will offer to retain 50% salary in order to maximize his return.

The problem is we wouldn't be able to afford to re-sign him, hence very likely giving up a ton of future for a single Cup run. And if I've learned something from how SY and JBB operate is that they don't give up future for a rental without then being able to re-sign him.
Yes, you're right.
I've written (in a bad way xD xD) my posts thinking at the next years, not only at the present.
And I agree with you: JBB won't acquire a rental, in particular for 1/2 prospects.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Well, we won the exact amount of games last week as I had guessed we would just by looking at the schedule. Safe to say that the team is meeting expectations?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Win the games in hand and they are just behind Boston. The problem has mostly been too many away games in the first twenty games. The sky is not falling, this team will finish either 1 or 2 in the east. When playoff time comes that's the time to wring your hands. There is a lot of hockey yet to be played.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Cool but really, who cares? They're still not making the playoffs. I'm glad JT is having success there, good for him. They're still going to miss the playoffs and we'll have their unprotected 1st rounder in '21. Possibly a lottery pick.

JT Miller was not going to have that kind of an impact on this team and having him still would make very little difference in how our season has gone thus far.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Cool but really, who cares? They're still not making the playoffs. I'm glad JT is having success there, good for him. They're still going to miss the playoffs and we'll have their unprotected 1st rounder in '21. Possibly a lottery pick.

JT Miller was not going to have that kind of an impact on this team and having him still would make very little difference in how our season has gone thus far.
Eh I don’t know about that. Remember PPG Miller on a line with Kuch and Stamkos when he came here? The guy was hella effective for us. But Coop had other plans and bottom-6 and 2PP it was for Miller. Now we’re crying for a winger for Stamkos and have to play Joseph, CV or Conacher there. I’d take Palat-Stamkos-Miller over a conditional 1st round pick any day.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Eh I don’t know about that. Remember PPG Miller on a line with Kuch and Stamkos when he came here? The guy was hella effective for us. But Coop had other plans and bottom-6 and 2PP it was for Miller. Now we’re crying for a winger for Stamkos and have to play Joseph, CV or Conacher there. I’d take Palat-Stamkos-Miller over a conditional 1st round pick any day.
Miller was in the dog house way too early. Last year Palat was constantly ineffective but given top 6 + PP time while Miller was on the fourth line. That's on coaching.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Trust me, I'd much rather have JT as opposed to Joseph, CV, or Conacher... by a wide margin... but getting a first for him, knowing we'd have to part with him and probably Killorn next year for cap purposes, still makes the trade a big win for us. He's gone and we got a fair return for him. No sense in wishing for something different now. Cooper is still coaching this team so we'd probably still be stinking even with JT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad