2019-20 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Where is this quote from? Because that seems to sound like Coop lost the room to me.

Yeah. That quote makes my face buzz. Makes it feel like the locker room, at the very least, is split, and has factions. And, at worst, Coop has lost at least Stamkos (I still go back to his comments after the CBJ sweep), and maybe the room.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That wasn't even Stamkos' first shot at the coaching either. FFS man if we go all the way to Europe just to lose he needs to sound off again. Please Stammer, I've criticized you for years because I thought you were soft. Please prove me wrong man I don't want to be right about that

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Reading Shattenkirks quote and then Stamkos makes me think there is a split in how the team thinks they should be played. The sweep really did damage to these guys psyche. Maybe not just the sweep either the last 6 playoff games. They have had great success playing like how they played in the regular season last year and I think some think they would be fine to continue playing that way. Maybe they think the injuries and some bad luck got the better of them in the playoffs. The other thinks they need to change their system because they dont think they can win in the playoffs with the system that won them 62 games. The truth is probably in the middle and its really up to Cooper to find that sweet spot. Unfortunately for him and the team at this point. Time may be running out if they want to get into the playoffs. This team needs to find its identity and quick.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Reading Shattenkirks quote and then Stamkos makes me think there is a split in how the team thinks they should be played. The sweep really did damage to these guys psyche. Maybe not just the sweep either the last 6 playoff games. They have had great success playing like how they played in the regular season last year and I think some think they would be fine to continue playing that way. Maybe they think the injuries and some bad luck got the better of them in the playoffs. The other thinks they need to change their system because they dont think they can win in the playoffs with the system that won them 62 games. The truth is probably in the middle and its really up to Cooper to find that sweet spot. Unfortunately for him and the team at this point. Time may be running out if they want to get into the playoffs. This team needs to find its identity and quick.

Team meeting would be nice if they haven't thought of it yet.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Sounds like Coop is trying to get the team to play the trap so they understand how to play against it when it shows up during the playoffs. In one way I understand the logic, but we are losing too many games and at this pace, will miss the playoffs. It's time to switch over and play to our strengths and get in a position where we can experiment closer to the end of the year.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I didn't need Stammer to tell me what I've been iterating this whole time, you play to your strengths with the personnel you have and let it take you as far as you can go. If you want to play a grinding style game, don't do it with a bunch of small skilled wingers. A high scoring team that can defend as well, that's the Lightning..... but not this year.

At least the Captain recognizes that.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Sounds like Coop is trying to get the team to play the trap so they understand how to play against it when it shows up during the playoffs. In one way I understand the logic, but we are losing too many games and at this pace, will miss the playoffs. It's time to switch over and play to our strengths and get in a position where we can experiment closer to the end of the year.

I understand it too but I dont think its the best time to do it. They need to get that confidence back up again. Learning a new system can take time and that means it could be that your team isnt at its best during this time. I know some teams are better than others but its still the NHL and especially now days the talent is closer than ever. I would have played what was successful for them in the first half of the season and gotten some wins under my belt and then when the second half rolls around learn new things and get your game together for the playoffs. Now they are scrambling for wins and may not even get enough to get in.

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
I didn't need Stammer to tell me what I've been iterating this whole time, you play to your strengths with the personnel you have and let it take you as far as you can go. If you want to play a grinding style game, don't do it with a bunch of small skilled wingers. A high scoring team that can defend as well, that's the Lightning..... but not this year.

At least the Captain recognizes that.
I've been saying this as well. We are not the blues and never will be. We have to play fast and attacking hockey. Slowing it down and creating less chances will doom us (as we are seeing now). Our best defense is offense. I'm not saying run and gun but whatever they've done to the system has guys playing slow and thinking too much and killed their swagger. Maybe the Cbus series did it as well, but they are running out of runway to get it fixed. I'd be happy with 1-1 against the Sabres.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Also, they’re not playing the trap well if that’s in fact what they’ve been trying to do the past few games. Allowing tons of shots per game and especially right from the slot is not a testament of a good system.

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
Grasping, but reading that Athletic article by Joe Smith Trotz is quoted talking about letting the team heal from losing to Pitt (in game 7 not a sweep obviously) and it takes time during the season. Went back and looked, in their first 12 they were 5-6-1 through October. A busy November got them to 14-11-1.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Grasping, but reading that Athletic article by Joe Smith Trotz is quoted talking about letting the team heal from losing to Pitt (in game 7 not a sweep obviously) and it takes time during the season. Went back and looked, in their first 12 they were 5-6-1 through October. A busy November got them to 14-11-1.

I think the question here is a little different though. It's more: Does the team have faith that the coach can win, in their seventh year with him? And, if not, can Cooper regain that faith?

It really wasn't so much THAT we lost, but HOW we lost, with the offense drying up, pretty consistently, right when it counted most.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think the question here is a little different though. It's more: Does the team have faith that the coach can win, in their seventh year with him? And, if not, can Cooper regain that faith?

It really wasn't so much THAT we lost, but HOW we lost, with the offense drying up, pretty consistently, right when it counted most.

I think the tough part with Cooper is that he has to rebuild that trust in the playoffs. Regular season success isnt going to help that much in that department. I think that is part of it, although I do think there is some of "oh we have to go through this again" meaning regular season after last season and that has got to be tough. Its Coopers job to right the ship after that but I think that is a tall order for any coach to do that. Time could be the best medicine for them but the problem with that is they do have a regular season to play.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think the tough part with Cooper is that he has to rebuild that trust in the playoffs. Regular season success isnt going to help that much in that department. I think that is part of it, although I do think there is some of "oh we have to go through this again" meaning regular season after last season and that has got to be tough. Its Coopers job to right the ship after that but I think that is a tall order for any coach to do that. Time could be the best medicine for them but the problem with that is they do have a regular season to play.

True. But, as unfair as it might be, that's all stacked against Coop. He can't secure his job in the regular season, only the playoffs, but that doesn't mean he can't lose his job in the regular season if the team continues to look lost.

I think we'll give him most of November to turn it around. And I think he'll have enough success to buy himself a few more weeks. But I think, if we're not looking like a team that can win by the new year, he's out, and replaced by an interim coach. Then we'll see who's out there on July 1.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
True. But, as unfair as it might be, that's all stacked against Coop. He can't secure his job in the regular season, only the playoffs, but that doesn't mean he can't lose his job in the regular season if the team continues to look lost.

I think we'll give him most of November to turn it around. And I think he'll have enough success to buy himself a few more weeks. But I think, if we're not looking like a team that can win by the new year, he's out, and replaced by an interim coach. Then we'll see who's out there on July 1.

If the team continues to look lost they need to cut the cord sooner than that I think. I think the team needs to "get over last year" as even some players have pointed out. That might be tough with Cooper around. Although it might be tough either way how bad they were beat. They definitely need a new sense of confidence. That will be tough for the new coach if thats the direction we go.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Maroon says in that article that the sweep is talked about all the time by the players. He "feels their pain"

Reactions: Zwui21

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Damn. Should've gotten a new voice. Cooper is an anchor...schematically and mentally. Freaking Yzerman.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's a f***ing rat but he works his ass off, if Kucherov had Marchand's work ethic he'd be unstoppable.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He's a ****ing rat but he works his ass off, if Kucherov had Marchand's work ethic he'd be unstoppable.
Hustling for pucks and battling them out was never Kuch’ game though. He was the guy you want to have the puck when your team has the puck. These days though... not so sure.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hustling for pucks and battling them out was never Kuch’ game though. He was the guy you want to have the puck when your team has the puck. These days though... not so sure.

That's Marchand as well though? He wins battles, retrieves pucks AND is the primary distributor on his team - he just doesn't do dumb stuff with the puck. I guess he saves it for his antics.

Reactions: Fudge

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

We are built to use our speed and create odd man rushes to score always have been that way since 2010 we are not built to play a Devils 1996 trap system we don't have the players for it.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Damn. Should've gotten a new voice. Cooper is an anchor...schematically and mentally. Freaking Yzerman.

it was my fear how can you let cooper come back after the biggest failure in the history of the playoffs for a 62 win team ? the players are not buying what he is selling anymore hopyfully our gm will see that before it's too late to save this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad