Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster Part II

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
So how do you change that?

Shouldn’t you expect most of your 3rd round guys and later to be working hard to develop a two-way game since their offense alone wasn’t enough to get drafted high?

Anybody drafted in the first few rounds has been a rock star on the majority of the teams they have ever played on. :laugh: I really think it just comes down to a player's personality and make up.

You change it with your organizational philosophy, and your coaching throughout your system. You change it by communicating to your prospects what is expected of them if they want to make the NHL. There's a reason the same teams have struggled to develop talent over the last 5 years.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Anybody drafted in the first few rounds has been a rock star on the majority of the teams they have ever played on. :laugh: I really think it just comes down to a player's personality and make up.

You change it with your organizational philosophy, and your coaching throughout your system. You change it by communicating to your prospects what is expected of them if they want to make the NHL. There's a reason the same teams have struggled to develop talent over the last 5 years.

First, which part of what I said are you laughing at? What did I mess up?

Second, if this something that’s going to take years to fix internally, isn’t trade and free agency the only way to fix it while Toews and Kane are still in their primes?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Second, if this something that’s going to take years to fix internally, isn’t trade and free agency the only way to fix it while Toews and Kane are still in their primes?

The bolded has always been the issue Hawks fans feared. Now with both guys 30 years-old it is a shame what Stan has done to this team.

Reactions: Blackhawks

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The bolded has always been the issue Hawks fans feared. Now with both guys 30 years-old it is a shame what Stan has done to this team.

Especially when he saw how a small guy like Shaw could still find a way to impact games despite lacking size and top-end skill.

Even with drafting smaller players, more two-way guys could’ve been developed if it were emphasized from the second they were drafted.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

No. We have a few two-way gritty types coming. Barrett and Entwistle are examples.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Especially when he saw how a small guy like Shaw could still find a way to impact games despite lacking size and top-end skill.

Even with drafting smaller players, more two-way guys could’ve been developed if it were emphasized from the second they were drafted.

The Hawks developed Shaw and moved on from him instead of overpaying him and turned him into Cat in the process. That's a huge win for Bowman on all fronts.

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and BK

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
So those two guys are changing everything? Seems risky to rely on just two lower level prospects to fill such a big team need

You don't have change everything. The thought that this team has not grit is just not accurate. They need to add more 200ft guys. Barrett, Entwistle, and Kurashev are prospects that do that potentially plus what they could add this offseason.

Remove Kruger, Kruger, and AA while adding a FA or two plus Highmore and a prospect or two and things look better.

A few offseason and Training camp of systems changes and prep will help as well.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Any hockey player with good hockey IQ and skating ability...is capable of playing a 200 ft. game. ESPECIALLY as a winger. It is almost 100% desire based. You develop them from within. You sit down with a few of your hopefuls for next season, and tell them you are expecting excellent two-way play from them coming into camp and preseason. If they don't show that, they aren't going to make this team. Period.
Entwistle and Barratt are the only two that have a serious shot at this team that can play that role. Kurashev is a complete wild card if he even turns pro. Highmore seems like a player who can get that shot as well, but if we move out AA and slide Kampf to 3C which some of us believe should be happening now...are you comfortable with a :
Entwistle - Barratt - Highmore 4th line?? three rookies slotted in there and you can sprinkle Hayden in the mix with Kahun depending on how the top 9 shakes out.

edit - I guess Kubalik as well if he signs here, not sure his status but seems like a guy that could play both sides of the puck.

Reactions: OTC and Kevin Musto

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

I was laughing at this part:
Shouldn’t you expect most of your 3rd round guys and later to be working hard to develop a two-way game since their offense alone wasn’t enough to get drafted high?

Pretty much any kid drafted is getting drafted based on their stats. They might not currently be the top dog on whatever junior or college team they are playing on when drafted, but they likely were the top producer all the way up until that point.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

and that was my point, IF...IF the window to strike is now, and Bowman and Co feel in 2-3 years we will be elite again, then you have to assume you would either trade to bring in some defensive forward help or sign 1-2 as UFAs....as in order for that window to happen, we have to start winning meaningful games next year, and I do not think the kids can jump in and hold down the fort on the 4th line all year long..I have no problem sprinkling in 1-2 rookie forwards next year, but a lot to ask to help turn this team around IMO.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
if we sign nobody at forward and say use an asset or two to bring in say Alec Martinez, how does this group look to you guys next year???

Caggiula - Toews - Kane
DeBrincat - Strome - Kahun
Saad - Kampf - Perlini
Entwistle - Barrat - Highmore
Hayden

Martinez - Gustafsson
Keith - Jokiharju
Forsling - Murphy
Seabs/Mitchell

I used Sikura, Dahlstrom, plus 2020 3rd rounder to get Martinez...
?????

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
if we sign nobody at forward and say use an asset or two to bring in say Alec Martinez, how does this group look to you guys next year???

Caggiula - Toews - Kane
Saad - Kampf - Perlini
Hayden

Martinez - Gustafsson
Keith - Jokiharju
Forsling - Murphy
Seabs/Mitchell

?????

If AA is traded then a forward will be signed for sure.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
not being a dick, but why? do you not think Kampf has not shown enough to take over that role?

Because there is no reason to trade AA and his salary if you are not going to use it imo. AA plays in a lot of situations for the Hawks and you need to replace that.

If the Hawks don't sign or try to sign free agents (I am talking confirmed offers to players) it will be unacceptable.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Because there is no reason to trade AA and his salary if you are not going to use it imo. AA plays in a lot of situations for the Hawks and you need to replace that.
well I did add Alec Martinez and his salary so that would be the swap, plus saving $$$$ for Cat, Strome, Gus and Kahun...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Caggiula - Toews - Kane
Saad - Kampf - Perlini
Hayden

Martinez - Gustafsson
Keith - Jokiharju
Forsling - Murphy
Seabs/Mitchell

?????

Looks like team that isn't going to be in playoffs and end of JC/Bowman era

Also the Kings will get better offers then that for Martinez from contenders

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Looks like tema that isn't going to be in playoffs and end of JC/Bowman era

Also the Kings will get better offers then that for Martinez from contenders
I just made an offer, adjust how you like but it wouldn't be that far off from there with two young players plus a 3rd...possibly a 2nd, but that is a solid offer for a player that they need to trade to make cap room and space for younger players.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I was laughing at this part:

Pretty much any kid drafted is getting drafted based on their stats. They might not currently be the top dog on whatever junior or college team they are playing on when drafted, but they likely were the top producer all the way up until that point.

Was that a dumb question?

I was asking how you change their mentality, not how do you stop them from being top producers on their respective teams before you draft them...

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Was that a dumb question?

I was asking how you change their mentality, not how do you stop them from being top producers on their respective teams before you draft them...

No. It wasn't. I just got a chuckle out of you thinking there's much of a difference between a 3rd round pick and a 1st round pick throughout most of their hockey career up until that point. There really isn't. :)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It would be a wild card team depending on health.
agreed. and that is just assuming that the 4th line of kids is just meh or slightly better than the corpses (outside of Kampf) we deployed there this year. I really like that top 4 though of Gus, Keith, Joker and Martinez..that is a nice looking group with Forsling and Murphy as a legit third pair..that team would definitely challenge, so my point was is that good enough, or does adding a Tanev plus Dzingel/whoever make that team a legit contender???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad