Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster Part II

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
While it would be nice to see this team add another star top 6 forward, any available cap space should be geared towards shoring up this team's defence. I think the emergence of Strome and Debrincat as two players who can be good in 2nd line roles allows the Hawks to focus elsewhere with their cap space.

Ideally, the Hawks can find one top 4 Dman via FA or trade *at least*. I'd argue they need two legit top 4 Dmen, but they don't grow on trees. I'd be happy if they can add one this offseason.

From there, the biggest problem is that bottom 6 is just not good. If they could find 3 good two-way forwards for the bottom 6 I think this could go a long way to improving the overall defence. Having a capable bottom 6 would presumably give the Hawks more possession time (resulting in less shots against), and hopefully they can add a PKer or two in there as well.

Assuming you don't trade Anisimov or Gus (I still would, Anisimov is obvious and I don't want to pay Gus $5M on his next contract) and sign Kampf for around $1M this would leave you with the following, assuming a $1.5M increase in the cap to $81M:

Saad-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Kahun??
XXXX-Anisimov-XXXX
Caggiula-Kampf-XXXX
13F, 14F

XXXX-Murphy
Keith-Jokihaju
Gus-Seabrook
7D

Crawford
Delia

With $19M in cap space to address those holes. Ideally one of the forwards you sign can play in the middle 6 if you'd rather have a guy like Kahun on the 3rd line. I recognize the D is still a weak spot there and you need 2 top 4 Dmen to push guys into their proper roles, but with the right names in the bottom 6 roles this team becomes markedly better next season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am really really hoping things shake out like this for us...

this off season sees the following:

Brandon Tanev - 4 years @$3.5 mil - Winnipeg cannot afford him, he is likely on every teams wish list, we need to overpay to land him, but this is they type of player I am comfortable with over paying as he can go up and down a lineup and his motor never stops. Just watch two or more Jets games and you will come away impressed that this guy just doesn't stop or slow down. He hits, blocks shots and as a team guy...we need this guy period.

Brock Nelson - 4 years @ $5.5 mil - now this is a debatable one in the sense that Dzingel is the better add for this price range, but if he sticks in CBJ then we need someone like Nelson to come in and be able to give us top line LW minutes or 3rd line C minutes when/if we move out AA. Nelson is no scrub, he plays tough down low, big body, good defense, decent at the dot, all the things we could use here as well. he is not the best skater, but he isn't bad for his size either, but he only needs to do enough to get around out there My gut tells me a team is going to give the 27 year a 5 year deal, but maybe we can snag him if we pay a little more for a 4 year deal..I don't know how this market shakes out yet, the more guys that make it to UFA status the better it is to land a guy like him on a bit better term.

Cale Morris - College UFA, sign this kid and bring him in immediately to get big minutes in the AHL, he will be 23 years old soon and could be ready to back up Delia/whoever by the following season.

2019 - Draft:
I am not going to speculate who we draft or where, but here is where a few trades can be made.

Anisimov is sent out - I think the writing is on the wall here and he will get moved, the return will be pick/prospect

We then make a move to acquire Alec Martinez from the Kings. This is THE type of dman we need, he is a LD, on a solid contract that is on shorter term and would help balance out our pairings...he would add that stability we need for guys like Gus/Forsling/Mitchell etc..the cost would likely be a young dman/picks - so potential one of our defenders like Beaudin or Krys could get moved here and I would be okay with it to bring this guy in or an Andy Greene as well.

2019-20 Blackhawks Roster:

Brandon Tanev - Jonathan Toews - Patrick Kane
Alex DeBrincat - Dylan Strome - Dominik Kahun
Brandon Saad - Brock Nelson - Evan Barratt
Drake Caggiula - David Kampf - Dominik Kubalik
Brendan Perlini - Matthew Highmore - Dylan Sikura/John Hayden

Duncan Keith - Henri Jokiharju
Alec Martinez - Erik Gustafsson
Connor Murphy - Carl Dahlstrom/Ian Mitchell
Gustav Forsling - Brent Seabrook/4K

Corey Crawford
Colin Delia
Cale Morris

IMO, this is a very realistic team, I added 2 UFA's under $10 mil, a college UFA and traded out AA freeing up money to bring in Martinez, signed our RFA's as well...this team is a legit playoff contender right there if Crow can remain healthy. The defense alone is far better with pairings and the depth of our offense would only be rivaled by maybe 1-2 teams in the West.

This is NOT including a top 2019 pick either, this is what we could be looking like next year, better days are coming it is very very realistic.

- No thanks on Tanev. We have Drake who brings a lot of the same game who we can sign for much cheaper rather then overpay Tanev
- No thanks on Nelson at 5.5M for 5 yrs. Too pricey for inconsistent 3rd liner
- Would not trade a kid like Beau for Martinez , That is too much for a guy that is going to be UFA in 2020 and is already 31 and will turn 32 in July

I would much rather go (If not Panarin , etc) with this scenario

- Target RW Jordan Eberle as UFA. He is coming off poor year and is good buy low candidate who is likely to depart NYI as he is leftover from previous regime and not a part of Lou's plans at this point it appears
- And if you want to move a kid on blueline for defender I would call up new GM of Oilers and see if we can pry loose Larsson. After all Larsson was Chia acquisition and is a potential valuable trade chip for Oilers. At his age , cap hit and signed for 3 more years he would be good target for Hawks. I would be willing to overpay to get Larsson on Hawks
- Trade AA for whatever you can get
- Trade for Wennberg to pair with Saad , Jackets will be looking to move his cap hit and recoup some future assets
- Trade for Glendening moving Forsling to Wings

Drake Caggiula - Jonathan Toews - Patrick Kane
Brandon Saad - Alexander Wennberg- Jordan Eberle
David Kampf - Luke Glendening - Dominik Kubalik
(Matthew Highmore , Vet UFA's or kids as extra's)

Connor Murphy - Adam Larsson (I know they are both righty ,, But Murphy has played both sides before)
Erik Gustafsson
- Brent Seabrook
(Slater Koekkoek as #7)

Corey Crawford
Colin Delia

Thoughts? Larsson would be most difficult part but as I said I would be willing to move a good package for him and with new GM coming to Edmonton he may be convince to move on from Larsson in effort to revamp team. A young Hawks defender+ may be intriguing for him and I would use Larsson and Murphy as a shutdown pairing

Also give Drake tapes of Brouwer when he was with Kane/Toews and tapes of Kopecky riding shotgun with Toews/Hossa and tell them this is what we want you to be and role you are to play on team

Being 3rd wheel with Toews/Kane isn't a bad gig

Last edited:
Reactions: dougd

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
- No thanks on Tanev. We have Drake who brings a lot of the same game who we can sign for much cheaper rather then overpay Tanev
- No thanks on Nelson at 5.5M for 5 yrs. Too pricey for inconsistent 3rd liner
- Would not trade a kid like Beau for Martinez , That is too much for a guy that is going to be UFA in 2020 and is already 31 and will turn 32 in July

I would much rather go (If not Panarin , etc) with this scenario

- Target RW Jordan Eberle as UFA. He is coming off poor year and is good buy low candidate who is likely to depart NYI as he is leftover from previous regime and not a part of Lou's plans at this point it appears
- And if you want to move a kid on blueline for defender I would call up new GM of Oilers and see if we can pry loose Larsson. After all Larsson was Chia acquisition and is a potential valuable trade chip for Oilers. At his age , cap hit and signed for 3 more years he would be good target for Hawks. I would be willing to overpay to get Larsson on Hawks
- Trade AA for whatever you can get
- Trade for Wennberg to pair with Saad , Jackets will be looking to move his cap hit and recoup some future assets
- Trade for Glendening moving Forsling to Wings

Drake Caggiula - Jonathan Toews - Patrick Kane
Brandon Saad - Alexander Wennberg- Jordan Eberle
David Kampf - Luke Glendening - Dominik Kubalik
(Matthew Highmore , Vet UFA's or kids as extra's)

Connor Murphy - Adam Larsson (I know they are both righty ,, But Murphy has played both sides before)
Erik Gustafsson
- Brent Seabrook
(Slater Koekkoek as #7)

Corey Crawford
Colin Delia

Thoughts? Larsson would be most difficult part but as I said I would be willing to move a good package for him and with new GM coming to Edmonton he may be convince to move on from Larsson in effort to revamp team. A young Hawks defender+ may be intriguing for him and I would use Larsson and Murphy as a shutdown pairing

Also give Drake tapes of Brouwer when he was with Kane/Toews and tapes of Kopecky riding shotgun with Toews/Hossa and tell them this is what we want you to be and role you are to play on team

Being 3rd wheel with Toews/Kane isn't a bad gig
you want to piss money away on Eberle who blows in the defensive zone and get Wennberg who has been as bad as Kruger offensively?? no thanks, Tanev and Nelson x 100 over that crap...and you simply have zero clue who Tanev is..zero.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Maybe the best post from BWC ever.

I kind of understand every single part and agree with most of it. Would trade low for Wennberg, Eberle for couple years is kind of bargain and Larsson would look good with us.

Reactions: dougd

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would be willing to move Hawks 1st round pick this year for Larsson

He is only 26 , Signed for 3 more years at very good cap hit and is exactly type of defender we need

I expect there would be a lot of pushback on that here

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I would be willing to move Hawks 1st round pick this year for Larsson

He is only 26 , Signed for 3 more years at very good cap hit and is exactly type of defender we need

I expect there would be a lot of pushback on that here
Value of how to remove Murphy or Seabs.

Because if some want to say oh then you can matchup Larsson and pair Gus and Murphy. You then have no space for Joker, Mitchell, or other players while Seabrook remains.

And I don't think a 1st moves the key player to Edmontons D. They would want like Saad at least

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
I have wondering this for weeks. Why not just use the normal buyout mechanism on Seabrook and pay him the remaining 2/3rds left spread out over 2 x the 4 or 5 years left? The CAP hit is significantly reduced. Is there something I am missing as to why this is not debated or discussed?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Just realized Larsson is signed for only 2 more years at 4.1M

Still would make trade and extend him in offseason of 2020

I always liked him on Devils/Oilers and honestly feel a bit bad for him out there on Edmonton especially last year when he was ruthlessly trashed for being the guy they traded Hall for and this year as he is one of the only talent on a terrible Oilers team

Last edited:

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
A significant portion of Chicago’s D does not belong in the NHL. Until that’s fixed, this team is a bottom feeder.

A problem with our D prospects is that they are 2-3 years from showing if they are any good in the NHL. By the time that happens. you’ll start the decline of Toews/Kane.

Best bet is to overpay 2 D FA and hope it doesn’t come back to bite you too hard.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
A significant portion of Chicago’s D does not belong in the NHL. Until that’s fixed, this team is a bottom feeder.

A problem with our D prospects is that they are 2-3 years from showing if they are any good in the NHL. By the time that happens. you’ll start the decline of Toews/Kane.

Best bet is to overpay 2 D FA and hope it doesn’t come back to bite you too hard.
probably the worst thing you can do considering the group of UFA's out there, the term they are going to want, then factoring in that they now block the path of our kids...no thanks.

find a team in a worse rebuilding spot than us - either Kings or Devils and try to pry away a dman from them for some pics/prospects - top 2 names of Martinez and Greene are not on long term deals, offer what we need and could be moved next deadline (20-21) if the kids step up and are ready. I think Greene is a UFA after next year so he would come cheaper than Martinez.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
probably the worst thing you can do considering the group of UFA's out there, the term they are going to want, then factoring in that they now block the path of our kids...no thanks.

find a team in a worse rebuilding spot than us - either Kings or Devils and try to pry away a dman from them for some pics/prospects - top 2 names of Martinez and Greene are not on long term deals, offer what we need and could be moved next deadline (20-21) if the kids step up and are ready. I think Greene is a UFA after next year so he would come cheaper than Martinez.

While I'm not thrilled with the Larsson proposal, I do think BWC is onto something with trying to get Glendening.

Like Tanev, he plays the game to hit, block shots, and Glendening is around 56% in the dot with more than 1000 draws taken this year.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I can get behind the Forsling / glendening trade. The Anisimov is fine with me. Tanev I like but for $3.0 as some have posted I wouldnt touch that price for him.
Larsson trade for our first, no thanks at all to that.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I honestly cant remember but has gus been tried with murphy? Wouldnt that be maximizing both of their strengths to be paired together? Let Gus roam free offensively (while still holding his own defensively) and Murphy be the conservative who can cover for Gus who frequently needs to be covered for.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I honestly cant remember but has gus been tried with murphy? Wouldnt that be maximizing both of their strengths to be paired together? Let Gus roam free offensively (while still holding his own defensively) and Murphy be the conservative who can cover for Gus who frequently needs to be covered for.
It absolutely should be tried. Campbell-Hjalmarsson reborn.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

According to NaturalStatTrick.com, they have been together for 23:34 during 5v5 play.

In that time they have a 51.06 CF%

Reactions: Kdotsection88

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
According to NaturalStatTrick.com, they have been together for 23:34 during 5v5 play.

In that time they have a 51.06 CF%
That sounds about right. I figured if they had gotten time together it was for no more than a game or two.. Should definitely be experimented with. Hopefully JC gives that pairing a chance to end the season. Would love to see how it goes.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The Gus-Murphy thing only makes sense if you have a legitimate top pair that can play the top matchups.

Campbell-Hjalmarsson wouldn't be the thing without a prime Keith-Seabrook great 1st pairing. If you want Keith in that role and have someone who can do it with him that gives that a shot.

I'd be more interested in Keith-Murphy getting the tough matchup shot. It has had zero attempts by JC and Gus Murphy only was a pair Murphy's first game. Just settling him back.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad