Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Offer sheet Meier. Sharks are f***ed with Karlsson's cap hit.

Also on board with Edler as a free agent option.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They’re moving out impact players making less than the market rate. There’s no fire to hold them too.

Eakin, Reaves and Miller aren’t impact players. They’re bottom 6/bottom pairing depth. They spent money they didn’t have when they signed Stone. On top of that, they are bringing Gusev over and apparently attempting to resign Karlsson, all with zero cap space. They’ve painted themselves into a corner.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Eakin, Reaves and Miller aren’t impact players. They’re bottom 6/bottom pairing depth. They spent money they didn’t have when they signed Stone. On top of that, they are bringing Gusev over and apparently attempting to resign Karlsson, all with zero cap space. They’ve painted themselves into a corner.
I’d take Miller, Haula or Eakin for free wouldn’t you? Reaves deal is awful for sure but they probably don’t want to move him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
After the Maatta addition, here is what our lineup/cap looks like.

Caggiula Toews Kane
Debrincat Strome XXXX
Saad Anisimov Kubalik
*Sikura* *Kampf* *Perlini*

Keith Gus
Maatta Murphy
Joker Seabrook
Koekkoek

Crawford
Delia

13.2mil in cap space

Need to sign 4 forwards, and hopefully trade to get a top 6 RW for Strome/Cat.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I’d take Miller, Haula or Eakin for free wouldn’t you? Reaves deal is awful for sure but they probably don’t want to move him.

Free would be ok. It would still represent them paying a price for being in cap trouble. We’ll see what happens. I can’t recall a situation like this in recent years to compare it to.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I mean Vegas went all in, can't really blame them...they have some names that could be moved but I really don't see an albatross contract there, just trying to win with that current group. I think SJ really just put themselves in such a bad spot with EK and the Leafs of course being the Leafs.

Vegas can make some moves and be okay, I don't think they are gloom and doom at all. Wild Bill is someone they likely need to resign, but many guys come off the books next year for them, so if they can navigate through this tough cap year, they will be fine moving forward IMO. But to navigate through this year, they will have to lose 1-2 solid players though IF they want to keep Wild Bill.

Vegas also has some good young talent coming in pipeline and have good amount of picks in coming years and potential to add more with trades of guys like Eakin , Haula , Miller , etc this summer

2019 = Have all there own picks thru rounds 1-5 + Preds 3rd , Jets 3rd , Wild 5th and Habs 5th
2020 = Have all there own + Penguins 2nd
2021 = Have all but own 3rd

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Here's a serious but hypothetical question. At the TDL, if SJ came to the Hawks and offered Karlsson for Seabrook (and they both waived their NMCs) ... would you do it?

This is how crazy Karlsson's contract was.

Seriously, would you take Karlsson's contract for Seabrook's contract RIGHT NOW? I know Karlsson is still a good player ... but also factor his injuries and the terms of his new deal. $11.5mn per for 8 years!

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Here's a serious but hypothetical question. At the TDL, if SJ came to the Hawks and offered Karlsson for Seabrook (and they both waived their NMCs) ... would you do it?

Seriously, would you take Karlsson's contract for Seabrook's contract RIGHT NOW? I know Karlsson is still a good player ... but also factor his injuries and the terms of his new deal. $11.5mn per for 8 years!
yes 100%. karlsson is like a little under ppg defensman right now and dont know what he will be in the future. we know seabrook sucks right now and will suck in the future.

Keith-Gus
Karlsson-Murphy
Maatta-Koekkoek
Dahlstrom

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

0/10 times would I trade Seabrook's contract for Karlsson's current one.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
0/10 times would I trade Seabrook's contract for Karlsson's current one.
Karlsson's new contract is definitely a polarizing one.

I know Karlsson's still a good player, but he really had a tough time moving in the playoffs. At 29, those are huge red flags for a player whose mobility is a major asset.

Does San Jose know a compliance buyout is coming OR do they have the best doctors in the world? Let's hope for the compliance buyout. The Hawks need it too.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Karlsson's new contract is definitely a polarizing one.

I know Karlsson's still a good player, but he really had a tough time moving in the playoffs. At 29, those are huge red flags for a player whose mobility is a major asset.

Does San Jose know a compliance buyout is coming OR do they have the best doctors in the world? Let's hope for the compliance buyout. The Hawks need it too.
groin injury...hes injury prone but when he plays it makes a big impact. hopefully we have a healthy karlssson coming on up in boqvist.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
groin injury...hes injury prone but when he plays it makes a big impact. hopefully we have a healthy karlssson coming on up in boqvist.

A torn groin, one requiring surgical repair... almost guarantees his skating is never the same. And that was always his biggest asset/weapon. Throw in an ankle with missing bone, and a fully-severed achilles... and I'm passing on that disaster of a contract.

Highlights:

Gilmoire's Groin:

1. These types of groin injury are nearly always sports related, either as a result of insufficient warm up, from pushing the body too hard, incorrectly positioned kicking feet or as a result of a collision. However, the injury can happen at any time to even the most elite athletes. When it happens it can be utterly debilitating and you will need to see a doctor.

2. Previous groin strain is another risk factor, since the muscle is weakened from a previous injury.

3. The most common athletes to get groin strain are soccer players and ice hockey players.

4. Surgery can be needed to repair a torn groin, but this is a rare occurrence. - Tells me it's pretty damn bad...

His groin is f***ed pretty bad, and will never be the same... making that contract, soon to be, the worst in the league.

The first bolded: He had to adjust the way he skates to compensate for the achilles injury and missing bone in his ankle. Groin issues will be a repeated issue for him moving forward due to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
A torn groin, one requiring surgical repair... almost guarantees his skating is never the same. And that was always his biggest asset/weapon. Throw in an ankle with missing bone, and a fully-severed achilles... and I'm passing on that disaster of a contract.
ohh id pass on that contract but seabrook is a zero at this point. Karlsson had 16 points in 19 games with a bum leg these playoffs. If he can stay healthy/productive for 3 of the years i think its better then what we have in seabrook.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Yes, would absolutely make that trade. Karlsson is injury prone, but Seabrook is a No. 6 on a good day.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Vegas also has some good young talent coming in pipeline and have good amount of picks in coming years and potential to add more with trades of guys like Eakin , Haula , Miller , etc this summer

2019 = Have all there own picks thru rounds 1-5 + Preds 3rd , Jets 3rd , Wild 5th and Habs 5th
2020 = Have all there own + Penguins 2nd
2021 = Have all but own 3rd
having Glass ready and coming up will ease whatever pain they will have moving on from Haula or whoever..they still have a solid prospect pool like said despite moving some of their top kids at the deadline.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yes, would absolutely make that trade. Karlsson is injury prone, but Seabrook is a No. 6 on a good day.
I know this is crazy to say ...

But Seabrook has only 6.8mn per at 5 years left vs. Karlsson at $11.5mn per at 8 years.

If Karlsson is good for more 3 years ... he could be Seabrook when @$11.5 per for 5 years at 32 years old due to injuries.

The fact, some of us are wondering if we would even do a Seabrook / Karlsson deal ... just says how bad that Karlsson deal was. It also implies how bad that Seabrook deal is too.

I know for a fact San Jose is NOW for a compliance buyout clause in the next CBA. That's very good for the Hawks.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I know this is crazy to say ...

But Seabrook has only 6.8mn per at 5 years left vs. Karlsson at $11.5mn per at 8 years.

If Karlsson is good for more 3 years ... he could be Seabrook when @$11.5 per for 5 years at 32 years old due to injuries.

The fact, some of us are wondering if we would even do a Seabrook / Karlsson deal ... just says how bad that Karlsson deal was. It also implies how bad that Seabrook deal is too.

I know for a fact San Jose is NOW for a compliance buyout clause in the next CBA. That's very good for the Hawks.

Definitely. It is a horrific contract. Seabrook is a sunk cost IMO. So it comes down to 11.5M minus 6.8M for the next 5 years. Would I kick in the extra 4.7M to get Karlsson on this team instead, for sure. But then the final 3 years of Karlsson could be a sunk cost at 11.5M, so there are two sides to the coin on this one. Agree though, the more bad contracts other teams sign, the better.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
if you think karlsson is done then yea you would take the lesser money and shorter zero contract. I just would find it very hard to believe that the sharks would take that risk for a guy they have been around now for a bit if he was actually done at this moment. i dont think hes done but its very risky thats for sure.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
if you think karlsson is done then yea you would take the lesser money and shorter zero contract. I just would find it very hard to believe that the sharks would take that risk for a guy they have been around now for a bit if he was actually done at this moment. i dont think hes done but its very risky thats for sure.

I don't think he's done. I think he's going to be 75% of the player he used to be. And will continue to deteriorate at an alarming rate. So he's not worth 11m+... and 8 years is a long ass time to be stuck with paying that much for a guy who isn't the caliber of player that is deserving of that kind of money.

Think in terms of this... if Kane, right now, was a 40 point player, making 10.5m... it would be considered the worst contract in the NHL, pretty easily, IMO. I expect Karlsson will be similar to that scenario, moving forward.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don't think he's done. I think he's going to be 75% of the player he used to be. And will continue to deteriorate at an alarming rate. So he's not worth 11m+... and 8 years is a long ass time to be stuck with paying that much for a guy who isn't the caliber of player that is deserving of that kind of money.

Think in terms of this... if Kane, right now, was a 40 point player, making 10.5m... it would be considered the worst contract in the NHL, pretty easily, IMO. I expect Karlsson will be similar to that scenario, moving forward.
Like I said, the Sharks know that a compliance clause will be available in the next CBA, OR they have the best doctors in the world. Let's hope for he compliance buyout!

It's also a hint San Jose is going for it. They know their window is closing.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I would be comfortable offering him 7.5-8.4 over 5 years and I think Sharks match but it gets really interesting for them. Pay back for Hjalmarsson.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011

gotcha. i dont think it will come down to that and he will be a .6 or .7 ppg d man that plays high minutes for about 5 years then down from there. but the amount and length seems crazy because it is a gamble it should have been shorter length or lower dollars. good for karlsson and i guess we will see for san jose.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
gotcha. i dont think it will come down to that and he will be a .6 or .7 ppg d man that plays high minutes for about 5 years then down from there. but the amount and length seems crazy because it is a gamble it should have been shorter length or lower dollars. good for karlsson and i guess we will see for san jose.

It all depends on his health(which, personally, I don't expect to be very good). These groin injuries are directly related to the way he had to adjust his skating due to the bone missing in his ankle, which is never coming back. Which means his skating will have to continue the same way that caused this groin injury in the first place. Which says to me his groins will be an issue for the rest of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad