Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster Part 4 - To Eberle or Not to Eberle - that is the question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The reality of Gus is that he’s essentially our de facto #1 defenseman in our coach’s eyes. Obviously he’s a very non-traditional #1.

He averaged 10 seconds fewer even strength ice time than Keith on the season, but if Colliton had been here all year, it appears Gus would’ve had more than Keith. Also, if Colliton scales down keith’s minutes next season, it’s pretty resonable to expect Gus to see the ice the most of any defenseman.

Colliton loves Gustafsson, and if that’s the return we’d get from other teams, it’s very very obvious Gus has more value to this team and it’s coach than he does in a trade.

I’m guessing Gustafsson is Colliton’s #1 for the foreseeable future, at least until someone like Boqvist or Byram develop and force that to change (guessing ~4 years from now).

So if Colliton remains our coach for a while, I fully anticipate him building his defense around Gustafsson first, and slotting in guys around him.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Even if he doesn't extend now, I say still keep him and push for a playoff spot next year. If you move him now and don't bring in a replacement of sorts, this team is at best a bubble playoff team. With Gus and an improve Joker (hopefully) and a playoff spot is definitely possible. I don't think we can rely on the 3rd OA making a huge impact next year. So keep Gus and sign a guy similar to those guys you mentioned like Brock Nelson without having to give anything up.

Yeah, you're probably right. I just want the Hawks to cash in on Gustafsson since I don't think he's good for the team long-term UNLESS he signs a team-friendly deal and he can be a 2nd pairing player. I definitely don't want the Hawks to sign him at UFA rates next offseason. There's an argument to be made of keeping him even if he doesn't sign and letting next season play out.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, you're probably right. I just want the Hawks to cash in on Gustafsson since I don't think he's good for the team long-term UNLESS he signs a team-friendly deal and he can be a 2nd pairing player. I definitely don't want the Hawks to sign him at UFA rates next offseason. There's an argument to be made of keeping him even if he doesn't sign and letting next season play out.

What would you consider an overpayment for Gus?

Personally, I think it's critical we keep him here for the next 3-4 years. We're at a minimum 1 full season away from Boqvist, Mitchell, and Beaudin playing on NHL ice, and it's possible that entire first season is via sheltered minutes. Say that happens, and you're 3 years away from them making a huge impact. Who plays D for this team between now and then especially as Keith and Seabrook decline? Murphy and Gus could end up being our top pairing the next 2-3 seasons.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Even if he doesn't extend now, I say still keep him and push for a playoff spot next year. If you move him now and don't bring in a replacement of sorts, this team is at best a bubble playoff team. With Gus and an improve Joker (hopefully) and a playoff spot is definitely possible. I don't think we can rely on the 3rd OA making a huge impact next year. So keep Gus and sign a guy similar to those guys you mentioned like Brock Nelson without having to give anything up.

That’s how I’d play it too. I think Gus plays a pretty big role in Colliton’s plans for turning around the defense.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Personally, I think it's critical we keep him here for the next 3-4 years. We're at a minimum 1 full season away from Boqvist, Mitchell, and Beaudin playing on NHL ice, and it's possible that entire first season is via sheltered minutes. Say that happens, and you're 3 years away from them making a huge impact. Who plays D for this team between now and then especially as Keith and Seabrook decline? Murphy and Gus could end up being our top pairing the next 2-3 seasons.

I agree, I think Colliton sees Gus as the bridge of a #1 D between Keith and whichever kid develops and takes that spot.

I predict Gus is here for at least another 5 years, including next season.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
I agree, I think Colliton sees Gus as the bridge of a #1 D between Keith and whichever kid develops and takes that spot.

I predict Gus is here for at least another 5 years, including next season.

I just don't want the Hawks to pay him a #1 dman salary which is probably where it goes if he plays out next season and puts up another 55+ pts. If signs this summer and he ends up being their best dman, so be it. Overall, I don't think you are a Cup-contender if Gus is your best dman.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012

If Ryan Ellis is 6.2 M long term and Krug is one more season at 5.2 before he hits UFA so you have to think 6.5+, what range do you think Gus is looking for? I know people said 4 M and I would love that as a Hawks fan but I think Gus can do a lot better.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I just don't want the Hawks to pay him a #1 dman salary which is probably where it goes if he plays out next season and puts up another 55+ pts. If signs this summer and he ends up being their best dman, so be it. Overall, I don't think you are a Cup-contender if Gus is your best dman.

I don’t think the Hawks have much of a choice there until the kids develop.

Trouba is maybe the one guy one the market that you could get to come in and be that #1 now, but that’s going to cost lots of money + assets.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don’t think the Hawks have much of a choice there until the kids develop.

Trouba is maybe the one guy one the market that you could get to come in and be that #1 now, but that’s going to cost lots of money + assets.

It's all hearsay but I don't even get the impression Trouba would sign an extension here from what everyone claims about him.

Which is unfortunate, because I'd give up a lot for him.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Dzingel seemingly a healthy scratch tonight, and he's none to thrilled about it.

Might make it a bit harder for them to re-sign Dzingel. Plus his performance, and scratching, in Columbus means he can likely be had for cheaper than what some here previously thought.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Dzingel seemingly a healthy scratch tonight, and he's none to thrilled about it.

Might make it a bit harder for them to re-sign Dzingel. Plus his performance, and scratching, in Columbus means he can likely be had for cheaper than what some here previously thought.

Wow, that’s unexpected. Looks like he’s getting the Vermette treatment.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Two guys some of us have been clamoring for are not looking good so far in these playoffs. Him and Donskoi. Also, add Ferland to that list too.

I don’t get how anyone can be interested in Ferland at his price tag. If Stan signs him to what he supposedly wants then he needs to be fired.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Anyone else wondering if Kovalchuk can be pried from LA? He’s better than what he was last year and he’d be a nice stop gap, 2 way talent, middle 6 guy for 2 more years. Would also help with LA’s cap crunch maybe.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I know he is oft-injured and doesn't have the grit some want but I wouldn't mind Marcus Johansson if the price and term were right. Put him with skill and he is productive.

What kind of contract might he be looking for? I don’t even have a clue.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don’t get how anyone can be interested in Ferland at his price tag. If Stan signs him to what he supposedly wants then he needs to be fired.

No kidding. I’d imagine his price has come down a bit, but still he seems to be going for way more than he’s worth

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
no to jonannson, dzingal and ferland.

saad-toews-sikura
kubalik-Nelson-Kane
Debrincat-Strome-Cagguila
Kahun-Kampf-Highmore/whoever wins a job

Keith, Gus, Murphy, forsling that is 4, we have the boat anchor in Seabrook so the last guy we get to round out the Dcore better be a great defensman....

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Wow, that’s unexpected. Looks like he’s getting the Vermette treatment.

How is it unexpected? He has been shit for Jackets in this playoff and is actually very comparable to Vermette before Q sent him message via benching

Vermette before his benching

10 playoff games with 1 goal and 1 assist (In regular season he had 3 assists in 19 games as a Hawk)

Its amusing the false narrative built around Vermette situation by the Anti-Q faction thru years

And hopefully Hawks stay away from the Dzingel , Hayes and Ferland's of the world

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
How is it unexpected? He has been **** for Jackets in this playoff and is actually very comparable to Vermette before Q sent him message via benching

Vermette before his benching

10 playoff games with 1 goal and 1 assist (In regular season he had 3 assists in 19 games as a Hawk)

Its amusing the false narrative built around Vermette situation by the Anti-Q faction thru years

And hopefully Hawks stay away from the Dzingel , Hayes and Ferland's of the world

Wasn't Vermette scratched for like a 21 year old Nordstrom at the time? Vermette was like 60% at the dot and could PK, so even if he wasn't scoring he was still valuable elsewhere. Nordstrom at that time brought pretty much nothing positive to the table. It was a terrible scratching no matter how you look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA